CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad day today

I am very upset today. Dont know if more about the damage to my car or hitting someone.

I was creeping out of my parking spot in a very congested plaza and I was watching a vehile to my left and didnt see a car pull up behind me.

The only not bad news was that I wasnt moving fast. I barely even felt it. I hit a 96 olds 88. The weird thing is thatI barely even scratched the other car, it pretty much rubbed off but mine took it hard. The guy was flipping.

Looks like in order for me to properly repair mine I have to replace the entire rear bumper. its going to kill me to have to look at it every day till I can find a bumper.

This week has just been terrible :wipetears

100_2209.jpg

100_2208.jpg

100_2207.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Sorry to hear this, but glad you were not hurt. Hopefully you can find the parts you need and make a quick repair!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Congested parking lots are terrible. Sorry you had that minor accident. It does not look THAT bad though. You may even get used to new looks. It would hurt more if the car were in pristine condition.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I agree. its not pristine, but it is my pride. lucky nothing hits or touches. all lights work. I was aable to straighten everything out but dont think there is anything I can do with the rip that goes betwen the bumper and quarter panel. Another thing thank god the damage is only the bumper and not anything else.

I cant stand parking lots. people sitting at random spots, carts, congestion, rushing people, everything

GM FAN FOREVER

Sorry to hear that glad you are ok

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I see alot of those style devilles in the junkyard, you should be able to find a decent one used.

Sorry to kind of hijack but I thought Id share:

2 weeks ago I got in my first accident in the past 8 years. I was in my 96 Fleetwood driving 40mph on a 3 lane one way road during RUSH HOUR <_< when all of a sudden 3 cars up from me someone decides to just stop in the middle of the road and let someone out of the car. Seriously... Everyone slams on their brakes. I was able to stop in time but watched as the girl behind me slammed on her brakes but nudged me. I had my wife and 2 year old with me and we just kinda nudged forward nothing serious. I got out to look and her 10 year old malibu/impala hood was bashed in, bumper was bent/scratched and grille gone. I looked at my car....... nothing. Not even a scratch on that big heavy chrome metal bumper :yupi3ti: Seriously wasnt even a smudge in the dirt on my bumper. I felt bad for her and didnt call the cops.

Man I love being on THAT side of an accident. It couldnt have gone any better :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I got out to look and her 10 year old malibu/impala hood was bashed in, bumper was bent/scratched and grille gone. I looked at my car....... nothing. Not even a scratch on that big heavy chrome metal bumper :yupi3ti: Seriously wasnt even a smudge in the dirt on my bumper. I felt bad for her and didnt call the cops.

Man I love being on THAT side of an accident. It couldnt have gone any better :)

What did you expect? She hit a tank! :)

I agree. its not pristine, but it is my pride.

I know what you mean. That cracked piece is made from plastic. You will find a good used replacement within a month.

I got out to look and her 10 year old malibu/impala hood was bashed in, bumper was bent/scratched and grille gone. I looked at my car....... nothing. Not even a scratch on that big heavy chrome metal bumper :yupi3ti: Seriously wasnt even a smudge in the dirt on my bumper. I felt bad for her and didnt call the cops.

What did you expect? She hit a tank! :)

LOL exactly what I call it. When i was a new driver I had a 90 Lumina and rear ended a voyager minivan in some ice pretty bad. My whole front end was totaled and nothing was wrong with that minivan. Sucked. It just felt really good to be on the other end of that kind of accident :) No wonder fleetwoods have the best insurance ratings (lowest cost) compared to all cadillacs of the same year :)

Honestly I needed a new bumper mine was rusty and dented (even though a replacement wouldnt have been new either). But i found one last week at the junkyard that is very nice so all is well :)

well tonight I put my Deville on a rack and inspected everything.

The good

damage is limited to just the bumper.

the shocks didnt budge and nothing is tweeked.

I had to remove the corner trim peice, came right off actually, and the part of the bumper that is cracked I sanded down, used a 2 part epoxy to secure the cracked section, once it cured I sanded it slightly to smooth it, and painted it.

the plastic push in clips behind the bumper were loose, and one on the very left was missing. So I replaced them all. The bumper is tight and pretty even. I would say pretty unnoticeable to someone that didnt know.

I repaired the chrome trim till I can get one.

found no other problems. still drives straight all the way.

I guess sometimes I expect too much of my vehicles, but when you have a vehicle that is as reliable as mine has been it tends to happen.

Thank god it was my Deville and not one of my other vehicles, mainly one of the reasons why my deville is my daily driver

GM FAN FOREVER

well today I got lucky, I found the trim at my local u pull it yard. I was very surprised that the nut came off without breaking it.

I sanded and painted the corner, and installed the new trim. It is hardly noticeable. There is only a tiny bit of warpage behind the corner trim causing it to push away a tiny bit.

I will post pcs tomorrow.

I had to replace the trim anyways as it was broken before, so it looks better now tan it did before the accident

GM FAN FOREVER

always feels good to fix it quickly and especially when its nicer than before :) Plus you always learn more about how parts of your car are assembled and disassembled :)

• 2 months later...

Look what I found today. I found a twin to my 96 Deville. It was identical other than the landau was black and cloth, and it had heated seats.

I found the rear bumper that I needed to replace my damaged one. Even the pinstripes were the same.

So next week th Deville goes down for some body work.

So guess I will be driving my truck next week

100_2489.jpg

100_2491.jpg

100_2492.jpg

100_2493.jpg

100_2494.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

I think that there are people who drive through mall parking lots looking for someone who has just gotten in their car and is backing out. Then they will pull up in the blind spot and stop, so it will be the fault of the person who is backing. :blink:

I have had this happen to me, and so far have been fortunate not to have hit anybody. Once I got stopped, the other car sped away. I could see no other reason for them to have stopped where they did. :fighting0025:

So BEWARE! There are all kinds of scams out there.

Britt

you mean kind of like having someone cut you off and slam on their brakes. Hmm. stupid people.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was on purpose. It is just a darn good thing I was creeping

GM FAN FOREVER

I have to say I always feel safe in my Deville.

I am doing the repirs this week. I will post pics as I progress

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Yay it is all fixed. the job went well. Like always it felt wonderful to be back in my Deville. I cant sually go more than a week without a nice ride in my Deville, thats messed up, All the work I have into my seville and I cant get away from my Deville.

The unfortunate news is that I forgot my camera to snap pics. I do apologize, If anyone has any questions Feel free to ask

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 months later...

I cant bear to see good parts go to waste. Good parts goto crusher all the time and it makes me mad

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived