CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2003 Seville - What's the real story?

JohnnyG

I have a couple of dealers in the area trying to locate a 2003 STS for me. It's time to update a little, and though my '99 is in perfect shape, I'd like to move up to the MagnaRide shocks. Last night I got a call from one of the dealerships telling me that they had a 2003 that I might want to look at. Keep in mind that I made it a point to specify 2003, STS, w/magnaride. Be that as it may, I show up at the dealership on my lunch hour and am shown a 2003 SLS. Ok, I figure it's worth a look, and it is a great car. Pearl Red SLS with what they called the STS package, the Zebrano dash, not perf leather, but not that wierd creepy seatcoverings from some SL's I've seen. The wood on the steering wheel and the shifter, which I like.

Anyway we get down to the details such as MagnaRide. Here we hit a BIG snag. The dealership says it was NEVER offered on the Seville at all for that year. If it was, it would have been special order on the STS, but not even available on the SLS. They likened it to the 'Vett of that year, saying that it was an option (with a switch for sport/touring) and that VERY FEW 'Vettes of that year had the option.

What's the real story? I'd trust you guys to know before I'd trust the dealership. After all, they freely admitted that niether the saleman (young lady) or the sales manager, worked there in 2003. They also admitted that there web site was down, so they couldn't get the full option package on the VIN number. I think I taught them more about Cadillacs in a half hour than they learned in a year selling them!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

GM's Magnetic Ride Control came out in the 2002 STS, and then the 2003 Corvette. The bit about the "SLS with a STS package" is pure baloney. It's either an SLS, or an STS...No combos... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

As I said, this is an SLS, and the original window sticker was in the glove box. There was no listing of MagnaRide. The only thing that resembled it was the "magnetically variable steering", which all seem to have (and is an outstanding feature). I also agree that there should be no such thing as an STS package....but the sticker did say something about STS....which I promptly blew off because I needed to get to the bottom of the Magnaride issue first.

All I need to know is the real story. Was it available, optional, or standard equip. on the 2003 STS? Was it available, optional, or standard on the 2003 SLS? And in the end, how can I tell without question.

Bigfoo, I think you are confusing the CVRSS suspension, which was "available" from 1998 to 2003. I understand that in 2002, as Bob D says, Caddy began offering the new shocks, which have fewer internal mechanical parts. Instead, they incorporate a fluid that varies its consistency when a magnetic field is applied! Lets call it a magntic "slurry" for lack of a better description. Throw some current in that sucker and BAM! instant molasses.....with the emphasis on instant.

No, prior to 2002, the changes to the shocks were done by solenoid operated valves. 2002 was the first year for the fluid. Sombody correct me if I'm wrong. If what Bigfoo is saying is true, my search is over.

The CVRSS does the same thing with the fluid that can change with magnetic field..  I though all 98+ STS's had that.

No, it doesn't. The CVRSS technology that ended for the STS in 2002, still employed 'moving parts'.

The MRC suspension uses magneto-rheological fluid-based actuators. By controlling the current to an electromagnetic coil inside the piston of the damper, the fluid's consistency can be changed, resulting in real-time, continuous variable control of vehicle damping, essentially using no moving parts. New technology.

user posted image

No, prior to 2002, the changes to the shocks were done by solenoid operated valves.  2002 was the first year for the fluid.  Sombody correct me if I'm wrong.  If what Bigfoo is saying is true, my search is over.

Johnny:

I believe '03 was the first year. I say that because Bbobynski wrote a MR strut theory of operation post on 2/26/03 in response to questions about the "new" technology. Mr. Guru. did not say that 2003 was the first year, however.

I captured the post as a text file which I can paste up here, or e-mail to you if you are interested in reading it.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I remember reading that post. In fact, that is what I am basing most of my assumptions on. I just wish I could think of a way to confirm all of this to a sales manager very anxious to sell me a car for $27,900.

From the archives: (Detriot News)

>DETROIT - Popular Science magazine has named General Motors' Magnetic Ride Control the winner of its prestigious "Best of What's New" award in the Automotive Technology category for 2002.

The award recognizes products or technologies that represent a significant step forward in the category. GM's Magnetic Ride Control, the worlds fastest reacting suspension system, took vehicle handling to a new level with the introduction of this leading-edge technology on the 2002 Cadillac STS. It is now also available on the 2003 Chevrolet Corvette.<

Convinced? ;)

user posted image

As I remember reading about it, the new shocks came out in mid-year for the 2003 model in January or February of 2003 which would lead me to believe that some 2003's have them and some don't.

According to the 2003 Cadillsc Seville Owners Manual, the Seville has Magnetic Ride Control (page 4-10).

The Owners Manual should be in the glove box of the car, give it a read.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thanks Guys. At least I confirmed one thing, the dealership is not the best place to learn about a used vehicle. Wait a minute, I already knew that! Thanks

It was introduced in mid-year 2002. Specifically, it was on STSs that were built starting around late Feb. Since I bought my 2002 STS new in June 2002, this was a feature I definately wanted and I didn't want an STS off the dealer lot that was built prior to this change. I remember at the time I even had the approximate VIN number when the change occurred.

I don't remember if this was an STS only feature or if it was on both the STS and SLS.

Thanks Dave, that pretty much sums up what I suspected. Introduced mid year 2002 on the STS and kept on the STS throughout 2003. This 2003 SLS that I've been looking at definitely does NOT have it, which was confirmed today by the dealership. Specifically, the owners manual refers to it as growe3 stated, but is not listed on the widow sticker in the "standard equipment list" as bbobynski said. Only remaining questions are: could it be added to an SLS, and could it be deleted from an STS. I'm not going to worry about those last two. I'll find the car I'm looking for eventually. You guys have been great...Thanks again.

Archived