CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil plugbroken oil plug

rdiaz

The oil plug on the oil reservoir on the bottom of the SRX? You could possibly fish about with a magnet to ensure you got the last of it out. I might try, with the oil plug off, 'washing' a quart or two of oil through the system and letting it drain directly out to get some out.

Can you explain what happened? How did the plug break?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

It must have been ovetightened from last oil change. When I removed it, less than half came out. I was drilling a small hole to use a bolt extractor, but pusshed it all the way in. The oil did not drain untill I accidentally pushed the bolt inside.

If you pushed it inside the pan you'll never get it out without dropping the pan. Just leave it be. It won't hurt anything. I once dropped a distributor lock nut down the distributor hole after removing it. I fished for it for 2 hours until I heard it drop into the pan. It stayed there for years until I traded the car. Never caused a problem.

I can honestly say I have never heard of an oil plug breaking. I have heard stripped, cross threaded, but never broken. But I would fully agree that it shouldnt be a problem because he oil pump screen will not allow it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I can honestly say I have never heard of an oil plug breaking. I have heard stripped, cross threaded, but never broken.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's hard to imagine how it would break before pulling the threads.

curious who overtightened it? You or a quick lube shop. Ive always changed the oil myself but people i know that get free ones at stealerships after they buy there car will later have me change their oil and everytime it seems they think the plug and filter need to be at 300 foot lbs or something lol. My dad once had to tear a filter apart to get it off his van after taking it to a shop for a oil change. REALLY not necessary for either to be that tight.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I can honestly say I have never heard of an oil plug breaking. I have heard stripped, cross threaded, but never broken.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's hard to imagine how it would break before pulling the threads.

I think the SRX has an oil filter housing and the plug is the cap for the housing - similar to the old style oil filter housings before the spin-on, spin off filters came out. It sounds like the cap is weak and not tolerant of overtightening.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived