CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing AC Compressor 1996 Deville

Rckjaws10

The Nylog did look like good stuff, I found a video demonstration of it on youtube.. blue label is for PAG oil systems it says, so I believe its the one.. I always wanted an Eldorado, sad to see them lying in a junkyard.. however the ac compressor looks relatively straight forward, maybe time consuming, but I dont think it will be an unbearable job. Even so, I am willing to go for it before spending 1000 to pay someone else, and possibly more depending what they see fit to want to replace.

my car had small cast bracket on backside of compressor. it is bolted to compressor and than bolted to block. only remove block bolt. than pull compressor away from motor and unbolt rear manifold block. still a hard thing to do. i am not 100% sure a deville has any more room than a seville to reach bolts.

• 4 weeks later...

Well everyone last week I tackled the job and got it done without too much trouble. I did take my oil filter adapter off because my pressure switch needed replaced anyways. That upper adapter bolt, and the bolt on the back of the compressor between the ac lines were definitely the toughest of the whole job. Anyways, the PAG oil I put into the system had dye in it, and I have found another annoying culprit. A very small and slow seeping leak out of the High side service port. I suspect it will take a few months to leak out at least, however when it does I believe the actual port can screw out of the line, and be replaced. Has anyone every done this? There is a gasket in there as well that comes with the port, so I suspect it simply may have gone bad. At least the major problem has been fixed! Also I have checked my evaporator drain and the patch of water on the ground, and have yet to see and signs of dye.. So I believe the shop may have been full of it when they wanted 1400 hundred to replace!

Well everyone last week I tackled the job and got it done without too much trouble. I did take my oil filter adapter off because my pressure switch needed replaced anyways. That upper adapter bolt, and the bolt on the back of the compressor between the ac lines were definitely the toughest of the whole job. Anyways, the PAG oil I put into the system had dye in it, and I have found another annoying culprit. A very small and slow seeping leak out of the High side service port. I suspect it will take a few months to leak out at least, however when it does I believe the actual port can screw out of the line, and be replaced. Has anyone every done this? There is a gasket in there as well that comes with the port, so I suspect it simply may have gone bad. At least the major problem has been fixed! Also I have checked my evaporator drain and the patch of water on the ground, and have yet to see and signs of dye.. So I believe the shop may have been full of it when they wanted 1400 hundred to replace!

Glad to hear your A/C is fixed. Like I said in an earlier post, an evaporator failure on these cars is rare.

Is the leak on the high side port only noticable with the plastic cap removed? If so, it should be OK since there is an o-ring on the cap itself that will seal off the connection.

If the leak is where the fitting attaches, then it is possible the o-ring has gone bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I had a leak on the high side port before but I can't remember if it was my Seville or another car.

Anyway there is a Schrader valve in there that just screws in/out just like the ones in your tire valves.

Advance auto has a little bag with a couple in it and a small tool to use to screw them in/out.

The bad thing now is if you remove it you will loose your refrigerant. A shop would probably take the refrigerant out, replace that valve and put it back in for not much money.

Just re thought my last post,,,,,,I am thinking there is a ball in the high side port that seals it.

I think the Seville had that ball and it was not sealing on mine, but you can buy that part at Advance and it just screws on. Use 2 wrenches to remove/install.

The low side port on the accumulator has the Shrader valve.

The refrigerant still will be lost when replacing this.

Yes the cap is on and it is leaking. Right out of the small crack around where the port screws in. So long as I can get through the coming months with the heat without it leaking out too quickly Ill be okay, not a big deal. However if it does run out before then, I am glad that it is not difficult to replace. Other than this small leak I have not found and other leaks. In a few days I will jack up the car and look around the compressor again, just to make sure everything has sealed up.. if not Ill be sorry because I don't want to take things apart again. haha

Archived