CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OXYGEN SENSOR

hanler

Now I will return to this with error codes. I still have problems with an engine light. About 200 mil back lit the lamp first time. The error code at that time was PO 420 and that meant that an oxygen sensor was replaced. But soon after, less than 100 mil engine light came on again. New search and an additional sensor was replaced. There are three pieces, I understand.

But now I only run 10 mil so the engine light comes on again. I have been using the forum taught me to check error codes. The following will then appear.

PCM PO 420 Current

PCM P 1189 Current

NHV B2463 Current

What does it mean?

NOTE Swedish miles. 1.6 Swedish mil is 10 miles

Have each of the three sensors own code? This would mean that the PO 420 is broken again after about 200 mil. One wonders then if there are errors on the sensors before they come to the site or what is it that destroys them. The car runs perfect and has recently been tested at the Swedish vehicle inspection. Where do you measure such as exhaust gas.

Hansa

Now I will return to this with error codes. I still have problems with an engine light. About 200 mil back lit the lamp first time. The error code at that time was PO 420 and that meant that an oxygen sensor was replaced. But soon after, less than 100 mil engine light came on again. New search and an additional sensor was replaced. There are three pieces, I understand.

But now I only run 10 mil so the engine light comes on again. I have been using the forum taught me to check error codes. The following will then appear.

PCM PO 420 Current

PCM P 1189 Current

NHV B2463 Current

What does it mean?

Have each of the three sensors own code? This would mean that the PO 420 is broken again after about 200 mil. One wonders then if there are errors on the sensors before they come to the site or what is it that destroys them. The car runs perfect and has recently been tested at the Swedish vehicle inspection. Where do you measure such as exhaust gas.

Hansa

P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

P1189 - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit

B2463 - Navigation CD Player - No Disk

About the P0420...That means that your catalytic converter is not operating correctly...

It may very well be the converter not the sensor, since you just had the sensor replaced.

Posted Image

PCM PO 420 Current

PCM P 1189 Current

NHV B2463 Current

What does it mean?

Hansa

About the P0420...That means that your catalytic converter is not operating correctly...

It may very well be the converter not the sensor, since you just had the sensor replaced.

It's one thing I do not understand. If there are three sensors and a catalyst system

all of which may have the fault code PO 420 what are we to know which part is broken.

It's one thing I do not understand. If there are three sensors and a catalyst system

all of which may have the fault code PO 420 what are we to know which part is broken.

Each one of the three sensors have their own fault code.

There is one sensor on each exhaust manifold and the third sensor for the catalytic converter.

The only one that gives the P0420 code is the one for the catalytic converter.

Posted Image

Ok I think I'm starting to understand where the error is. If P0420 is the code for the catalytic converter so you can suspect that there has been a problem all the time. Two sensors have been replaced but the fault has been in the catalytic converter on my car. Do you know which codes are for the sensors. According WarrenJ there are three sensors on STS 2001. A mechanic also told me that my car has 3 sensors. Anyway, it is the code for catalytic converter P0420 as it is about.

post-17612-130349924113_thumb.gif

post-17612-130349925783_thumb.gif

post-17612-130349927125_thumb.gif

On my car there are four oxygen sensors, one on each exhaust manifold, one on the front of the cat, and one on the rear of the cat.

To answer your question, which codes indicate the oxygen sensors, there are many of them. Here is a block of oxygen sensor codes from P0130 through P0167:

P0130 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0131 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0132 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0133 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0134 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0136 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0137 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0138 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0139 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0140 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0141 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0142 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0143 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0144 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0145 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 Slow Response

P0146 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0147 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0150 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0151 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0152 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0153 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0154 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0155 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0156 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0157 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0158 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0159 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0160 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0161 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0162 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3

P0163 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 Low Voltage

P0164 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 High Voltage

P0165 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 Slow Response

P0166 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3 No Activity Detected

P0167 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 3

There are lots more. An oxygen sensor code will tell you which one, and what is wrong it it, which can include the heater circuit or its performance.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ok I think I'm starting to understand where the error is. If P0420 is the code for the catalytic converter so you can suspect that there has been a problem all the time.

Two sensors have been replaced but the fault has been in the catalytic converter on my car.

Do you know which codes are for the sensors. According WarrenJ there are three sensors on STS 2001. A mechanic also told me that my car has 3 sensors. Anyway, it is the code for catalytic converter P0420 as it is about.

WarrenJ is correct... there are 3 sensors.

There are a lot of codes the other sensors will give, but they will "NOT" give the P0420.

P0420 only comes from the third sensor and usually means that the catalytic converter is going bad and needs to be replaced.

Posted Image

Have I understood correctly? If the code is P0420 this is the fault of the catalytic converter and then you do not change the oxygen sensor? It's easy to believe it when I have replaced the sensor twice in a short time and the problem remains.

I am not sure if your CAT is still under warranty, I doubt it, but there were CATs in 01 and 02 that were replaced under warranty, I had one replaced under warranty on my Monte Carlo. They are usually warranted to 80K miles, not sure how long though.

If you have a leaky injector leaking raw FUEL into the system it will destroy your CAT, make sure you don't have a bad FPR or injector before you replace your CAT

Is that correct that you only have 3 O2 sensors?, I had 4 on my 96

You want to look into this also

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Have I understood correctly?

If the code is P0420 this is the fault of the catalytic converter and then you do not change the oxygen sensor?

It's easy to believe it when I have replaced the sensor twice in a short time and the problem remains.

That is correct.

Posted Image

I am not sure if your CAT is still under warranty, I doubt it, but there were CATs in 01 and 02 that were replaced under warranty, I had one replaced under warranty on my Monte Carlo. They are usually warranted to 80K miles, not sure how long though.

If you have a leaky injector leaking raw FUEL into the system it will destroy your CAT, make sure you don't have a bad FPR or injector before you replace your CAT

Is that correct that you only have 3 O2 sensors?, I had 4 on my 96

You want to look into this also

It was a simple explanation that I got a warning for oil pressure. I did not have the engine running. It was just the ignition that was on. I also believe that I can use the warranty when the car has only been in use for 5200 Swedish miles.

Have I understood correctly?

If the code is P0420 this is the fault of the catalytic converter and then you do not change the oxygen sensor?

It's easy to believe it when I have replaced the sensor twice in a short time and the problem remains.

That is correct.

Thank you for alla help!

Hansa

OK here is a link to the GM emissions warranty its limited to 8 years in the US

http://answers.yahoo...08082755AA3mQrN

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

OK here is a link to the GM emissions warranty its limited to 8 years in the US

http://answers.yahoo...08082755AA3mQrN

The car has recently been inspected by Swedish vehicle inspection and they found nothing wrong with the catalyst. Anyway, now warning my system for a catalyst with low efficiency. But is it the same as the catalyst needs to be replaced. I checked my warranty and it is still valid. I will make contact with the general agent in Sweden and then it can be good to know what I can demand.

All who read me on the forum have to excuse me for my bad english sometimes.

Hansa/Sweden

I recently did work on an Infiniti that was getting a P0420 code. The engine had BAD O2 sensors (PRE CAT) for about a year. A BAD O2 Sensor causes the engine NOT to go into CLOSED LOOP and the engine RUNS RICH. When the engine runs RICH it exhausts HOTTER and it ruins the CAT due to HEAT and CARBON.

I replaced the CAT, BAM NO MORE P0420 code. During my research of this job, I spoke to 3 CAT manufacturers, all 3 confirmed that BAD O2 sensors contributed to the P0420 code as a result of what I said above.

It sounds like you have been blaming this on O2 sensors as you have replaced them a couple of times. IF your O2 sensors were setting codes for ANY length of time, you probably damaged the CAT. Replace the CAT, your mechanic is wrong, you have one cat behind the crossover point. Unless they removed the cat and tested it in a testing rig, they have NO WAY of determining the condition of the CAT's internal material.

One CAT manufacturer recommended replacing the O2 sensors every 3 years to save the CAT which is expensive to replace, the Infiniti CATs (there are 3) cost $1400 from the dealer.

I recently did work on an Infiniti that was getting a P0420 code. The engine had BAD O2 sensors (PRE CAT) for about a year. A BAD O2 Sensor causes the engine NOT to go into CLOSED LOOP and the engine RUNS RICH. When the engine runs RICH it exhausts HOTTER and it ruins the CAT due to HEAT and CARBON.

I replaced the CAT, BAM NO MORE P0420 code. During my research of this job, I spoke to 3 CAT manufacturers, all 3 confirmed that BAD O2 sensors contributed to the P0420 code as a result of what I said above.

It sounds like you have been blaming this on O2 sensors as you have replaced them a couple of times. IF your O2 sensors were setting codes for ANY length of time, you probably damaged the CAT. Replace the CAT, your mechanic is wrong, you have one cat behind the crossover point. Unless they removed the cat and tested it in a testing rig, they have NO WAY of determining the condition of the CAT's internal material.

One CAT manufacturer recommended replacing the O2 sensors every 3 years to save the CAT which is expensive to replace, the Infiniti CATs (there are 3) cost $1400 from the dealer.

As you understand, I am no mechanic but I would like to understand the problems with my car. As I understand it is the sensor located after the catalyst that gives the error code PO420. That means replace the catalyst that has been destroyed by bad oxygen sensors located before the catalytic converter. The strange thing in my case, the error code P0420 has been detected both before and after the inspection. But the catalyst was ok during the inspection. Anyway if I should get a new catalytic converter on the warranty it must be tested again. It may also be a discussion with my mechanic.

That warranty that I showed you was for the US, I do not know if it applies to export vehicles. You car anyway is older than 8 years, it is doubtful that it would be replaced under warranty.

Your understanding of the working of your CAT is correct, but

The P0420 code CAN be intermittant, meaning it can stay OFF for a week or two, then just come ON AGAIN... That is what was happening with the Infiniti I was working on, it also passed inspection, but the CHECK ENGINE light continued to come on and bother the owner, with the NEW CAT it does not return.

Good Luck, if you need to buy you you might try www.rockauto.com they ship internationally, make sure you buy a direct fit

Archived