CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cancel "Replace Brake Pads" message '99 SLS

griffinhot

The "Replace Brake Pads" message appeared on

my '99 Seville SLS information display. The

brake pads have been replaced but the mechanic

does not know how to eliminate the message.

Please help. If you know how, please give

complete direction on how to function with

the information display as I have never worked

with it.

Were ALL the pads replaced? All new sensor wires used? If so, no messages will be displayed.There is nothing to reset.

look1-1-1.jpg

If the mechanic doesn't know about the sensor wires, you will likely need to go to a mechanic that does. Pep Boys, Goodyear Tire Centers, Sears Auto, etc. all will have people that can deal with that. You may need to have new brake pads that have the sensors in them.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If the mechanic doesn't know about the sensor wires, you will likely need to go to a mechanic that does. Pep Boys, Goodyear Tire Centers, Sears Auto, etc. all will have people that can deal with that. You may need to have new brake pads that have the sensors in them.

Sensor wires? I never heard of this... When did they start putting these on and how do I know if my 98 Eldo has this? I'm assuming you can see the wiring coming from the calipers... Both front and back brakes?

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

You can check the owner's manual and see if it mentions a driver's information center message about worn brakes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If you have them you'll see a wire going into a notch on the top side of the inboard pad. The small end of the "sensor" fits into that notch. As the brake pad wears it will wear the tab abd break the loop in the wire triggering the CHANGE BRAKE PAD message.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-SEVILLE-DeVILLE-BRAKE-PAD-WEAR-SENSORS-FRONT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2cc5aaf4QQitemZ400183110388QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

So, to summarize just a little, the brake pads that your "mechanic" used in the repair should have had the sensor wires built in, and he should have plugged them in. If he did not use the proper pads, you (or he) would have to go back to the wires ahead of the sensor connector and short them together. This will effectively eliminate the "replace brake pads" message.....FOREVER. In other words, that warning will never come up again, up to and including the point (from a recent TV commercial) that the brake backing plates have worn partially through the rotor exposing the cooling fins beneath, and the brake cylinders pop out of their respective bores in the caliper.

Can ANYBODY here belive that someone let their brakes go that long?

What did they say when they got to the shop? How about "it makes a funny noise when I press the pedal that is supposed to slow me down.....and it doesn't slow down too good! :wub:

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

....What did they say when they got to the shop? How about "it makes a funny noise when I press the pedal that is supposed to slow me down.....and it doesn't slow down too good! :wub:

Reminded me of an incident several years ago when a (former) brother-in-law said almost those same words to me. Understand this guy is educated and is very good at what he does. But what he knows about cars amounts to "the gasoline goes here and the key goes there".

I pulled the front wheels and one of the rotors was in two pieces. The rotor was rusted to the point the section under the pads was no longer part of the remainder. Now I know I should have taken a picture.

Michigan winters, neglect, and high mileage can be cruel.

Nothing to do with brake pad wear sensors but the "it makes a funny noise" part triggered the memory.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

several years ago when a (former) brother-in-law

Former? Did You renounce him???? :D

Sorry....

I removed his wife's sister from my life.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Can ANYBODY here belive that someone let their brakes go that long?

I can. I had a neighbor that ignored the brakes on his van to the point that when he applied the brake coming up to a toll plaza, what was left of the pad backing plate wore through what was left of the rotor. Brakes failed and the fool rolled right through and almost hit an attendant, from what he told me.

Archived