CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

84' eldorado convertable

:welcomesmiley:

I don't know about the 1984 personally, but, if they were made *for* Cadillac, parts should be available through normal GM sources and it should be covered in the GM shop manuals of the time. I see a bunch of relays for the 1984 Eldorado Biarritz, including two for the rear window defroster, and all are inexpensive. If you have the part number you can probably just do a search on that on Rock Auto or Amazon.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If it were that easy I would have done this, try to look for a 1984 Eldorado Biarritz convertible top relay. I was on Rock Auto and 5 other sites just like it. The 84 Eldo Biarritz was NOT a factory convertible which is why the relay is not listed, heck I tried to look for the relays that fit an 82' to 86' Buick Riviera which WERE GM factory convertibles and could not find those ( figuring that the relay was the same)

So if anyone knows where I can get this please reply as this is absurd. I only find relays for the 71 to 76 Eldorados but nothing for 84' 85'

Ah OK I finally got somewhere. I added the relay number to a search and found that this relay is also used for the power seats as well which is why it was not listed as a convertible accessory. So with this known I only happened to find two of these, one used on Ebay and another on Rock Auto but lists the part out of stock so without a picture of the part I have to wait until Monday to call and ask. Anyway the search is for the powerseat relay for an 84' Eldorado I need two of them.

relay number stamped on is 1703274

Anyone?

RD

The part number you gave for the relay, stamped on it, is one digit short of a GM part number. You say you found a relay on Rock Auto that is the same part; I don't see a relay by itself for the 1984 Biarritz electric seats, just 21-pin combination switch-relays and an 8-pin switch-relay. If you could give us the exact application where the same relay is used, and the GM part number, then we could probably find it for you.

You can also match the relay with another one based on the size, voltage (12 Volts), and number of pins and functionality with pinout. That's a last resort but always there for parts like relays.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

• 9 years later...

There are three types of switching most often seen in relays:  SPST, SPDT, and DPDT, and you can tell these apart by the number of pins on the case.  Then, there are low-current (smaller) and high-current relays.  A power seat relay will definitely be a high-current relay.

Most cars use only two or three types of relays, and many have an extra relay in the box to give you one to try when looking for a problem.  If it's a GM relay, you and probably get one just like it from Rock Auto by matching the appearance and pins with the one you have.  If the relay is from the people who did the convertible top, maybe it's not a GM relay, and you need to find a logo or plate that identifies whoever built the convertible top.

Note that sometimes convertibles are done on contract by GM before shipping to a dealer, and sometimes dealers have hardtop models made into convertibles without GM being directly involved.