CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Where to get repairs?

sallypants

We've got a 1996 Deville with a Northstar engine. Recently, while driving, it will just die. My husband has been able to get it restarted, but it's just getting worse.

I tried getting an appointment with a local dealership, but they were booked up for 2 weeks. A friend who works at a Subaru dealership said to try a specialty mechanic, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one. We live in a decent sized city---one has to be here.

Can anyone suggest where we could get it repaired in Tacoma, WA?

:welcomesmiley:

Begin by getting the OBD codes from the A/C buttons - you don't need a code reader, just a pencil and paper, and the instructions at the link in my signature block. Write them down and post them here. We can probably figure out why it is stalling. Then you will be better prepared to decide where to take it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

:welcomesmiley:

Begin by getting the OBD codes from the A/C buttons - you don't need a code reader, just a pencil and paper, and the instructions at the link in my signature block. Write them down and post them here. We can probably figure out why it is stalling. Then you will be better prepared to decide where to take it.

Don't think you will need a specialty shop for this car. My rule is to never take a car that has a bunch of beat up cars outside the shop sitting on blocks. You want a place that will respect your car & get it fixed.

Get the codes as stated above, but I just want to add that codes can only go so far for some conditions. ex: a failing fuel pump does not set a code for the fuel pump but rather a MAF/MAP sensor etc. - it's a start. BTW, What was done to get it going again? - that's a good start.

like to throw this out there, look at the relays in the underhood fuse panel and check your relays for corrosion. it is located driver side front of strut tower, cant miss it and all are labeled on cover

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

First place to start is by extracting the codes from your ON BOARD diagnostic computer. It is possible that the problem you are having is leaving us a hint. Follow the directions that Jim gave you up above to extract the codes. I had a 96 Deville, it can tell you what is wrong with it. The problem you are describing can be many things, but starting with extracting the codes is the best thing to do.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived