CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

C & D Note Horns

Ok, in one hour, I am gonna be leaving my office for the bone yard to try to scavenge up some C and D note horns. What vehicles are gonna be my best bet for finding them? I am figuring that early 90's is my best bet. Fleetwoods maybe? Fleetwood Brougham?

Second question is, if I find one out there with 4 horns in the front end, it is safe to assume that they are A, C, D, and F right? I know that some kid could have jacked around with the horns but from the factory they never did anything strange like putting in two A's and two F's did they?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Any Cadillac Deville or Fleetwood Brougham from the 1990s will have the 4-note horns. The note is molded into the "horn" portion with a circle around the letter.

Many Buicks from the later 80s and early 90s also had 4-note horns. Find the newest ones you can find - the newer ones have two wires instead of using the horn mounting bracket as a ground.

Grab a couple of horn relays while you're out there - You will need to install a second horn relay to drive the second set of horns. If you connect all four to the existing 15A circuit, you'll blow the fuse the first time you lay on the horn.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Any Cadillac Deville or Fleetwood Brougham from the 1990s will have the 4-note horns. The note is molded into the "horn" portion with a circle around the letter.

Many Buicks from the later 80s and early 90s also had 4-note horns. Find the newest ones you can find - the newer ones have two wires instead of using the horn mounting bracket as a ground.

Grab a couple of horn relays while you're out there - You will need to install a second horn relay to drive the second set of horns. If you connect all four to the existing 15A circuit, you'll blow the fuse the first time you lay on the horn.

I will look for the molded letter but am guessing that I won't be able to see it until the horns are removed. Didn't want to waste these guy's time pulling horns that I did not want.

I was planning on just throwing in one of my universal 30A relays that I've got around here.

I want to say that my old 1984 Buick Riv. had four tone trumpets in it.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

One car at this yard was applicable and someone had pulled the D note from the passenger side and tha B note from the drivers side. I passed on the single C note. Not sure what someone was trying to do with a D and B note set.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

My '97 Deville had them. I got the notes I needed from a salvage yard I saw online to install in my '03 DHS. I did it over the phone, but I had to describe to him exactly where they were. Even then he got one wrong and had to reship the correct one.

I dont know what letter means what, but my 83 deville has SWEEET sounding horns. Its that real loud land yacht sound that just fits that car. (They are original not air horns) My 96 fleetwood actually has a different sound, a little bit weaker or higher pitched, more like my 2000 DTS had. Still a commanding sound but not like the 80s! I LOVE honking the horn in my 83 :) Just to scare people or to pronounce here comes a big car :)

I also once had a 86 chevy sprint. That had to be the highest weakest horn ever. Its one of those things that makes you think what designers had in mind. Big cars deep sounds, little cars high sounds. Why? To hear the sprint horn on a caddy would be hilarious and vice versa :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Update with more questions:

I scored a full set(A,C,D,F) of horns from an 84 Fleetwood at the salvage today. Older type with one spade connector.

1)How do the A & F of 1984 compare to the A & F of 2008? Same decibels? Essentially identical in sound?

2)What would the audible effects be if one were to install all 4 horns on the passenger side while leaving the stock A & F functional on the drivers side? Essentially 2 A's 2 F's 1 C and 1 d.

3)Anyone ever thought of two sets of 4? What difference would it make. I would assume the effect to be minimal.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

If I remember right...(and my Darling Wife will question THAT)... the horns from the 84 Fleetwood are adjustable... up to a point.

The ones on my 84 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegence had little funny looking bolts on them that you could turn in and out to kinda "TUNE" them.

As far as loudness... I remember the 84 Fleetwood horns as being LOUD.. :)

But then again, my 2006 is fairly loud and it only has two horns vs the 4 horns the Fleetwood had.

If I had a full set, like you do, I wold be tempted to mount them ALL... and end up with a total of six horns.

If I didn't like it after I got 'em all hooked up... I would probably unhook then two at a time till it was just the way I wanted it... but, knowing me and the way I sometimes OVERDO stuff.. I would probably like it with all six of them working... :) :)

Posted Image

If I remember right...(and my Darling Wife will question THAT)... the horns from the 84 Fleetwood are adjustable... up to a point.

The ones on my 84 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegence had little funny looking bolts on them that you could turn in and out to kinda "TUNE" them.

But then again, my 2006 is fairly loud and it only has two horns vs the 4 horns the Fleetwood had.

If I had a full set, like you do, I wold be tempted to mount them ALL... and end up with a total of six horns.

If I didn't like it after I got 'em all hooked up... I would probably unhook then two at a time till it was just the way I wanted it... but, knowing me and the way I sometimes OVERDO stuff.. I would probably like it with all six of them working... :) :)

Well, my other option is to go back and get their other set and have two 4 sets hooked up. 8 total.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, my other option is to go back and get their other set and have two 4 sets hooked up. 8 total.

I think I would just go with the the 4 you have now + the two original ones...and see how I liked it.

Posted Image

Update with more questions:

I scored a full set(A,C,D,F) of horns from an 84 Fleetwood at the salvage today. Older type with one spade connector.

1)How do the A & F of 1984 compare to the A & F of 2008? Same decibels? Essentially identical in sound?

2)What would the audible effects be if one were to install all 4 horns on the passenger side while leaving the stock A & F functional on the drivers side? Essentially 2 A's 2 F's 1 C and 1 d.

3)Anyone ever thought of two sets of 4? What difference would it make. I would assume the effect to be minimal.

sooooo, tell me about this 84 fleetwood at the junkyard? whats good on it? colors? 2dr 4dr? :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I would just add two horns (C & D) to the car to get the proper compliment of notes. The wiring in your car is not able to handle 4 horns on one circuit. That's why you need to add a second relay to drive the additional two horns.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would just add two horns (C & D) to the car to get the proper compliment of notes. The wiring in your car is not able to handle 4 horns on one circuit. That's why you need to add a second relay to drive the additional two horns.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=37478&pid=187389&st=0entry187389

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I added the extra two notes to mine and it's working fine on one circuit................ so far.

What is the amp rating on the fuse for your horn circut? Mine was only 15A and the first time I laid on the horn when some idiot pulled out in fromt of me, the fuse blew. I added a second horn relay and separate circuit for the additional fuses. All is fine now.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

No idea Kevin. I don't use it a lot, but it certainly has lasted longer than yours did do maybe it is on a bigger fuse.

It is possible your horn circuit is on a 30 amp circuit in which case, it is fine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Curiosity got the best of me and I went out and checked the FSM. It say's the horns are on a 15a fuse. Maybe I just haven't laid on them long enough.

Curiosity got the best of me and I went out and checked the FSM. It say's the horns are on a 15a fuse. Maybe I just haven't laid on them long enough.

That is my guess too - each horn draws 5 amps so it's going to pull 20 amps on a 15 amp circuit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hi Guys; I'm new to the forum...so pls be patient with me...

My father was a long-time Cadillac owner, and started buying them back in the early 80's. He started with an Eldorado, and then, because of "family trips to the South", began buying Deville's (b/c they were sedans). The first Deville was an '88 (nice car), which graduated to a 92, a 96, which took him to his last purchase which was & is a 2002. Since his passing last year, I've inherited the car, and want to follow in his footsteps of honking the horn while driving through tunnel's, etc.:) I've noticed over the years though, that although many of the toys in his cars have gotten nicer, the horns that theyve had, have gotten quieter, which now as an owner, bothers me. I went to the dealership last week to look into what I had to do to convert the horns/sounds to that of the older ones (the '88 was great), but the kid at the counter looked at me like I was nuts. All he could tell me was that the '02 has an "A" horn which is 450Hz, and that the other horn is 380Hz. He had no clue what the note for the second horn currently is. He then looked up the '88, and told me that it had 4 horns, being an "A", "D", "F" and "low F". That said, his "F" & "low F" both have the same part number, which obviously means that they're both the same horn/part/note. Can anyone shed any light on this, and tell me which 2 or 3 horns it is that I need to get? Also, would I be better to take a drive up to the junkyard and graze around looking for some older ones? Do I have to worry at-all about the old horns in the junkyards being bad from age? Please advise; I feel like a chevette driver when I arm the alarm!! Thanks :) P.S. Regarding the outside temperature sensor, how many degrees off would you think is reasonable after the car has been driven for a while. Mine is constantly off by 3 or 4 degrees celsius, and I'm not sure if it's worth spending the $40 in trying-out a new sensor, or if I should just grin & bear it?

My father was a long-time Cadillac owner, and started buying them back in the early 80's. He started with an Eldorado, and then, because of "family trips to the South", began buying Deville's (b/c they were sedans). The first Deville was an '88 (nice car), which graduated to a 92, a 96, which took him to his last purchase which was & is a 2002. Since his passing last year, I've inherited the car, and want to follow in his footsteps of honking the horn while driving through tunnel's, etc.:) I've noticed over the years though, that although many of the toys in his cars have gotten nicer, the horns that theyve had, have gotten quieter, which now as an owner, bothers me. I went to the dealership last week to look into what I had to do to convert the horns/sounds to that of the older ones (the '88 was great), but the kid at the counter looked at me like I was nuts. All he could tell me was that the '02 has an "A" horn which is 450Hz, and that the other horn is 380Hz. He had no clue what the note for the second horn currently is. He then looked up the '88, and told me that it had 4 horns, being an "A", "D", "F" and "low F". That said, his "F" & "low F" both have the same part number, which obviously means that they're both the same horn/part/note. Can anyone shed any light on this, and tell me which 2 or 3 horns it is that I need to get? Also, would I be better to take a drive up to the junkyard and graze around looking for some older ones? Do I have to worry at-all about the old horns in the junkyards being bad from age? Please advise; I feel like a chevette driver when I arm the alarm!! Thanks :) P.S. Regarding the outside temperature sensor, how many degrees off would you think is reasonable after the car has been driven for a while. Mine is constantly off by 3 or 4 degrees celsius, and I'm not sure if it's worth spending the $40 in trying-out a new sensor, or if I should just grin & bear it?

You now have "A" and "F"...

You need "C" and "D" to make it sound like the older Cadillacs.

Posted Image

Thanks very much. What's the consensus on adding a 2nd relay for the 2 new ones vs. upgrading the existing one and hooking them up in series?

Thanks very much. What's the consensus on adding a 2nd relay for the 2 new ones vs. upgrading the existing one and hooking them up in series?

There are various opinion on that... :) :)

The safest way would be to add a 2nd relay.

Look back earlier in this thread and I think JeffGray explains how to add the relay.

He even posted pics of how he did it.

Posted Image

Archived