CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gas odor

I have a gas odor when I open the oil resvior and snff the cap smeeled like gas not strong but you could smeel it. Could there be a problem or nothing to worry about not burning oil and not smokin but it did smeel like coolant also with ni leaks and it did run slight hot just over the half wya line on the t3mp gauge

If the car has been too long since the last oil change (more than six months) or if it has a bad FPR (hard starting hot, but no codes? Check the FPR.) it can have more fuel in the oil than normal.

I've never heard of coolant in the oil of a Northstar that was in running order. On the other hand, there are lots of places for small coolant leaks under the hood, and there might be traces of coolant on the *outside* of the oil filler cap.

The oil filler cap is on the front cam cover. The only reservoir under the hood, other than the power steering, is the coolant tank. What do you mean by the oil reservoir?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thanks guys I meant the oil filler cap sorry about the resvior term, thought that what it was called but smell could be because of the FPR will have checkede tommorrow this car sat up for 1year and som e months and it was a northern car so I am the 3rd owner and I am trying to get it in top order without breaking the bank so always thanks for the correct advice.

sometimes excessive cranking with no ignition can also cause fuel smell but barely noticeable and rarely happens anymore with the new technology we have today

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If the car is not running or if it has driveability problems, the first step is to run the OBD codes (see link in my signature block) and post them here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

In the old days fuel could get into the oil due to flooding and the choke

These days it only gets into the oil as a result of a bad miss, bad injector. It could be a normal amount of fuel in it but you are only driving the car on short runs and its not being boiled out.

How is the driveability? Do you have a miss? Do you have a check engine light? When was the oil changed?

You chose the wrong engine in your profile, no VVT

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived