CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 Seville STS Ignition Switch Replacement

tysona23

I was doing an allignment on my vehicle at school today and noticed my rear camber was all out of wack. I felt the air bags and found them soft. I jumped the relay and my compressor kicked on to fill the air bags. After many steps of diag I traced it back to the ignition switch. I looked at the service info and it looks like I will need to pull out the column. I was wondering if I could get around it and weasle my way back there without pulling everything out. Has anyone tried this?

You may need to lower the column and put it on the driver seat, but you do not need to pull it out. You probably do not need to even lower the column. Just remove the sound insulator and you will likely have access to the ignition switch.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. The ignition switch has nothing to do with the ELC compressor other than powering up the entire electrical system.

The compressor has nothing to do with the ignition switch your right. Terminal 87 30 are hot at all times. 85 and 86 come from the ignition switch. The resistance is not just affecting that relay but several others that are on the same input. I have the diagram right in front of me. but in order to power the relay to close the switch that goes to the compressor it has to come from the ignition switch run position. I wiggle the key and it will drop 6 volts when measuring it from the rear fuse box. I have a hard time imagining that the ingnition switch would have nothing to do with it.

i would say verify that your connectors to the fuses and relays are good as a slight bad connection can cause lots of problems, I agree doesnt seem like ignition, if it was you should have many other issues and of course codes

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Ya every other relay or fuse that runs off the RUN position does the same thing. I took apart the fuse box just to make sure there was nothing going on with the connector and all the terminals were in good shape.

weird, now here are a couple questions

If you turn the key forward but not all the way on, does the compressor not run?

at the relay have you verified that you have 12v at the input side and the activation, almost thinking have 2 people, 1 to turn the key on and one to see if the activation pin at the relay is showing power

GM FAN FOREVER

No the compressor will not run with the key in run. If i put a jumper between the compressor activation side of the relay the compressor kicks on. When i measure voltage on the coil side of the relay it will read around 11 volts but there could be 10 mega ohms of resistance and still read that many volts. Its when i put a test light (load) in between the coil input side and my multi meter when i wiggle the key it will drop up and down up and down. I tested the other relays that come from the same circuit from the ingniton switch and the same goes for them. And your correct i do have codes on all the relays that it affects Open or short to ground.

Replaced the ignition switch it costed me 35 bucks but that is alot better than a compressor or a new air bag. But the air bags look like they have seen better days. But I hope they will hold up for a while. The ignition switch was not nearly as bad as i though it only took like 2 hours.

Replaced the ignition switch it costed me 35 bucks but that is alot better than a compressor or a new air bag. But the air bags look like they have seen better days. But I hope they will hold up for a while. The ignition switch was not nearly as bad as i though it only took like 2 hours.

Very good...glad to hear that it is fixed.

Thanks for reporting back with the fix. :)

Posted Image

thats great, thats why I was asking about the activation side of the relay and the ignition, that is the key. glad to hear you got it fixed.

How long would you say you drove without functioning airbags?

GM FAN FOREVER

airbags dont do good with no air for any amount of time, but I say see if they hold ride height and see what happens

GM FAN FOREVER

Ya and for all I know they could have been like that for years. . . But monday im going to throw it on the rack and see how close my ride height is to specs. My university just got a brand new rack and its nice as hell, cant wait to break it in.

Archived