CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

leaking coolant

I topped off the coolant the other day and the resvoir I guess wass leaking or somewhere I culd not tell where it was coming from. I put the cap back on the resvoir and the leak stopped. I took the cap off again while the care was runnin and it leaked again how weird is that. I out it back on and it stopped . I did not see the coolant swirl in the resvoir like it normally would is the thermostat going or am I going to need a radiator soon need help thanks again for ya'll support. This sight means so much to me because I am a Paraplegic and its hard to get correct answeres about this El Dog people always want to charge and recharge me bu thanks again for leADING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTIONS

I topped off the coolant the other day and the resvoir I guess wass leaking or somewhere I culd not tell where it was coming from. I put the cap back on the resvoir and the leak stopped. I took the cap off again while the care was runnin and it leaked again how weird is that. I out it back on and it stopped .

"Topping off the coolant" might be part of the problem. The proper coolant level with a COLD engine is approximately 2" to 3" below the top of the reservoir. There should be a FULL COLD mark on the exterior of the reservoir.

There must be air space in the reservoir to allow the coolant to expand when the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

....I did not see the coolant swirl in the resvoir like it normally would....
You will not see any 'swirling' in the reservoir because the reservoir is a low-flow part of the cooling system.

And removing the coolant pressure cap when the engine is running at normal operating temperature is not recommended. Severe scalding can result by releasing the pressure which dramatically reduces the vaporization temperature of your coolant.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

What area is it leaking from? You mentioned that you know it leaks when the cap is on or off, if you can tell where it is hitting the ground check to see what is in that area above the puddle. Radiator end cap seals are what usually fails on the radiator. You can just replace the end caps but it is usually less expensive to replace the whole radiator if you count your time.

Archived