CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Cadillac sts overheating

caddy123

My 1996 cadillac sts is over heating, I have replaced the thermostat, waterpump, radiator and a hose that leads to the heater core, had it checked the mechanic stated that the hoses leading to the heater core was not getting flow from he coolant. could the heater core need replacing.

Don't let it get hot - you can have a head gasket problem that way real easy.

Check the purge line - the hose that comes to the top of the expansion tank. Disconnect it with a tub there, and see if coolant flows freely from it. If it doesn't, follow the tubing to where it attaches to a bolt - use a 15mm deep socket and take off the bolt. The orifice in the bolt may well be plugged. It's common.

Also, make sure that the coolant mixture is near 50-50. Too little anti-freeze or way too much, either one, will cause steam pockets to form in the heads which can cause overheating.

You might also look at the radiator fans; they should run on low speed when the A/C is on, even with a cold engine. Also, check the OBD codes (see link in my signature block) and post those here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Also, make sure that the coolant mixture is near 50-50. Too little anti-freeze or way too much, either one, will cause steam pockets to form in the heads which can cause overheating.

That's not true Jim. NASCAR runs straight water.

My 1996 cadillac sts is over heating, I have replaced the thermostat, waterpump, radiator and a hose that leads to the heater core, had it checked the mechanic stated that the hoses leading to the heater core was not getting flow from he coolant. could the heater core need replacing.

If the heater core is plugged it could cause overheating. Hook a water hose up to the inlet of the heater core and unhook the outlet hose and see if you can get it unplugged. You might want to attach a long hose to the outlet end so you can control the flow away from the engine compartment.

That's not true Jim. NASCAR runs straight water.

NASCAR may use straight water because it cools better - but they don't run thermostats, either. Without a thermostat to get confused, the steam bubbles are harmless. Whatever, in any case I'm going by the FSM regarding the coolant being near 50-50 and overheating.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived