CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Does a 2000 seville have a door-jamb switch?

I recently aquired a 2000 seville SLS. (75K miles ) Among other minor problems, I noticed the switch which tells the car that the drivers door is open seems not to work. The radio stays on as door is opened and the interior lights don't come on. Passengers side works fine. Can anyone tell me where to find this switch and wheter it's a dealer only item. Thank you. This forum is great!

I recently aquired a 2000 seville SLS. (75K miles ) Among other minor problems, I noticed the switch which tells the car that the drivers door is open seems not to work. The radio stays on as door is opened and the interior lights don't come on. Passengers side works fine. Can anyone tell me where to find this switch and wheter it's a dealer only item. Thank you. This forum is great!

I may be wrong but I believe it is part of the latch assembly. therfore the latch assembly would have to be replaced. I would say pull the door panel and inspect plugs and wires.

I know my 96 and 97 have 2 plugs at the latches if that might help.

I would assume this problem only occurs with 1 door?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yes, it only happens with the drivers door. I thought it may be something inside the door on the end of the little slide near the hinges which has little notches in it for holding the door in place. Not sure what the technical term is for that thing maybe something like a door position detent. But if someone knows where to find and what the switch is called I'd really appreciate it. I really like this car but still miss the power of my 93 STS. This car sure seems to have MUCH less power, some of which I'm sure is due to the higher gear ratio.

ok as I stated before I think the switch is in the latch assembly, which is not far below the outside door handle. When the door is open the switch shows ground and when the door is shut the ground is disrupted and the domelamps will go off after 12-15 seconds.

I agree on the power. It seems they changed in 99. The transmissions were geared differently and to me the newer ones just arent as snappy as the 96-97 or even some of the 93-95 MY

GM FAN FOREVER

It was the latch. I got one for $25 from a junk yard and everything works as it should. This one has 3 plugs, and for future reference, the plastic piece behind the door panel which apparently is what helps block out noise, breaks very easily so don't pull on it at all. Just push the centers of the push buttons in and they will very easily release. Thanks for all the help!

ok as I stated before I think the switch is in the latch assembly, which is not far below the outside door handle. When the door is open the switch shows ground and when the door is shut the ground is disrupted and the domelamps will go off after 12-15 seconds.

I agree on the power. It seems they changed in 99. The transmissions were geared differently and to me the newer ones just arent as snappy as the 96-97 or even some of the 93-95 MY

very good, and I am not at all a fan of these newer door panels especially due to the fact of the common problem with the window regulators

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived