CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello,

I just bought a 2003 deville and it has a rough idle while it is in gear sitting still at a stop light or stop sign. when i accellerate it is not as noticeable. it does alright running down the road, but stopped it is rough. it is not that bad in park but when in gear it starts shaking the car. after reading several threads i have realized thart this is a common problem, but i have not read anywhere what the fix was. i took to autozone and they told me the # 6 cylinder has a misfire, but i repalced plug , boot, and coil cassette and still runs the same. i have checked for vaccum leaks, i cleaned egr valve,checked boot around the throttle body. i have spent allday trying to figure this out. does anyone know if there is a common fix for this? a guy at autozone said he replaced his ecu and it fixed. i have heard it all but i am not sure. please help!!!

I suggest we take AZ out of the loop and start dealing with Diagnostic Trouble Code information (you did not refer to specific DTC data in your post).

Here is how to display DTC information on your vehicle without leaving your driveway:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Report all "P" codes for more information.

The shorthand can be a little confusing but here is the language:

Diagnostic Trouble Code = DTC = code

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

ok jim,

these are the current codes

pcm p1189

pcm p0300

ipm b0429

abs c1214

abs c1248

rfa c0765

sdm b0058

these are the history

dim p1540

ipm b1004

pcm p0102

p1106

p1359

p1360

rcc b1009

rim u1000h

sdm u1301

u1000

b0065

b0041

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I really like this car and i woulkd like to get it back running smoothly without spending alot of money. tahnks again for any help anyone may have on this matter

ok jim,

these are the current codes

pcm p1189

pcm p0300

P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected

Unfortunately the onboard display does not provide individual cylinder information so this code is not telling you anything you do not already know.

If AZ was able to display a

P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

that would be a sign that the spark plug, or the #6 cylinder coil, or the HV connections between those two, or the #6 fuel injector are all likely suspects. The ignition coil packages seem to fail far more frequently than injectors.

P1189 - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit

Nothing to do with your current misfire condition.

Several of your history P codes indicate a potential for "possible" corroded/oxidized/dirty underhood electrical connections. But since the codes are not "current" they are not related to your misfire.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

yeah i replaced the plug,and boot on number 6, and i replaced the coil pack on that side of the motor, but no change. so iuess i will check the injector. that is why i got on here and asked. i spent allday looking at different things, and i wanted to ask someone who may have battled this before me before i go any further. ill try injector tomorrow and let u know what i come up with. Do you think the tps may play a roll in this?

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing here..changed plugs and wires..I do hear a clikingnoise by the coil packs but I'm not sure if its from the coils or a wire that's l goes into the motor by the coils to the other side of engine ..( [____] ). Where are the injectors on my model?(98 concours )

Maybe I do changed the PCB valve and nada

But will I gave to buy all 4 coil packs?

How can I see if they are worn out?

What's the difference I should feel after I change omw or 4 of them?

You can change one coil at a time. You might be able to tell which coil is arching by pulling each one and inspecting the contacts on the bottom. If not,just buy one or borrow one from another car and swap them one by one til the misfire goes away.

I tried taking all 4 packs off yesterday andswitched them around..nd car started then died out..put it back to normal and good but I feel my car sluggish and when its first turned on it makes an exhaust noise like it's a misleading car

I checked when I did switxh the coil packs but thas when I started it and I died out..but I then put them back to original order on the coil pack and it worked good..but then got my serv engine soon light (3 days ago) and just today I got it off randomly..but off topic is a purge vlve supposed to b clicking fast and loud?

I see, so maybe I need to replace it?

Does it matter if I get one from Auto Zone, that's not acdelco or Delphi. Or going the extra Buck to get a premium one will do better performance for the car?

I got you. Well ill probably get it off of RockAuto.com..thanks again Ranger..

Oh yea, can someone tell me instructions how to check for the fuel injectors and what are the symptomms of bad injectors..and a good brief example would help not just "stalls".

Thanks either way

A bad (inoperative) fuel injector will act like a misfire. Just use a stethoscope or piece of hose and listen to each one. You should hear the same rhythmic ticking (pulsing) on each one.