CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I've touched on this subject before and never really came up with an answer. I have looked at WarrenJ's wiring diagrams for the older sevilles. I am not sure if they are relevant to my 08 DTS but either way, I can not find a circuit for a park switch. Can anyone assist? Is the memory seat module not energized from the fuse block until the car is in park? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Looking at a diagram of the fuse block under the back seat, there is a memory seat module fuse. I know that some circuits in the block are only energized when the car is on and some when accessory is on. Is it possible that the MSM circuit is not energized while the car is out of park? If so, is it as simple as to disconnect and connect to a constant 12V?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Bs if you ask me. probably no way to change that. may be controlled via the IPC

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Bs if you ask me. probably no way to change that. may be controlled via the IPC

So it's like a databus issue? Certainly it can be reprogrammed right? If I take this to our local Cadillac dealership, wouldn't one of their techs be able to change the programming. If I went to them with $500 to figure it out, couldn't they?

You do not even know how much this simple problem is annoying me to death!

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

well I find that most dealers today dont even like to get into electrical, maybe iff you bring 700 they may help you, lol JK. I get nothing on my cars because they tell me to buy a new one and they dont work on dinosaurs anymore. Nice way to make money eh

GM FAN FOREVER

Well, I pulled the back seat and tested the circuit. It is powered at all times so that is not the "Park" trigger. One thing that I did find out though, if the car is out of park but not started, the memory controls still work. I had to start it and put it in gear to stop function of the control.

I called the dealer yesterday and was put through to voice mail. Left a message and still waiting.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I tend to think it is not a positive you are looking for. It would be a data line that is shared from multiple computers that controls the memory functions.

That would be why it will do it when the engine is not running but not when it is, hope this makes sense. Typically the dataline wire is green

GM FAN FOREVER

Jeff Gray,

Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,

Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

Well, I pulled the back seat and tested the circuit. It is powered at all times so that is not the "Park" trigger. One thing that I did find out though, if the car is out of park but not started, the memory controls still work. I had to start it and put it in gear to stop function of the control.

I called the dealer yesterday and was put through to voice mail. Left a message and still waiting.

Well, I called the dealership and as always their response was, "Bring it on in and we'll have a look at it." They always tell me that and it makes me mad as hell. I could call them up and ask what kind of gas that the car required and they'd tell me to bring it in...

Anyway, heading there here in a few for them to waste my time.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Of course it was a waste of my time...Kinda...We got to go over the 2011 DTS. Cool car. Anyway, he says that the can not disable the park lock on the msm.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

:bluesbrothers: think of it like this,

I guess if it is your biggest problem with the car it isnt half bad lol. Been there done that

GM FAN FOREVER

Of course it was a waste of my time...Kinda...We got to go over the 2011 DTS. Cool car. Anyway, he says that the can not disable the park lock on the msm.

Jeff,

I have been following this ...and it is none of my business, but "WHY" do you want it disabled?

What's the point of having the seat and steering wheel move to the "OTHER" driving position when you are driving down the road??

I reckon I missed something... somewhere, on why this is necessary...

Oh, and on the dealer not being able to disable it... it is much more likely that they "WON'T" disable it.. not that they "CAN'T" disable it.

Posted Image

I agree with that, there is alot that can be done for one(s) willing to do it

GM FAN FOREVER

Why do I want it disabled??? Because it annoys me and I am anal retentive.

Seriously though...I am not an aggressive driver really but when I get in, I want to go. I have found myself typically in the past getting in the car, hit the key, then drop in gear. While taking off I am pulling the lever and dropping the wheel and then pop the seat belt in. Is it the safest way? Probably not...But it's how I've functioned for my almost 17 years since I got my license.

On a side note, we were looking at the 2011 DTS and it doesn't put the automation into motion until the key is inserted in the ignition vs. the 2008 which puts it in motion when the fob button is pressed...Hence why I disabled that. Now I could deal with it I suppose if it started automatically as the key was inserted.

I am a modifier. I have always modified things to my liking. As soon as my youngest is old enough that I don't have to worry about him trying to drive the car, I will be looking to disable the "Press Brake" feature for removing from park.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I too am often in a hurry to GO... :)

I have just got into the habit of, as I close the door, since my left hand is already on the armrest, I just punch the button to move the seat and steering wheel and at the same time, turning on the cooled seat... while starting the car with my right hand.

Drop it in reverse and as I back out of the garage, I am using my left hand to grab the seat belt and get it fastened.

It did take a little while to get into that particular routine of movements.

Now it is just automatic to do it that way..

I will have to check again, but I "THOUGHT" that my seat could be controlled by the ignition turning on or off..

But I vaguely remember that there was something about the way it worked that I didn't like.

The thing that bothers me the most is not being able to access the functions of the NAV system when the car is moving.

I have thought of putting an ON/OFF switch in the VSS wire to eliminate that problem

Posted Image

I too am often in a hurry to GO... :)

I have just got into the habit of, as I close the door, since my left hand is already on the armrest, I just punch the button to move the seat and steering wheel and at the same time, turning on the cooled seat... while starting the car with my right hand.

Drop it in reverse and as I back out of the garage, I am using my left hand to grab the seat belt and get it fastened.

It did take a little while to get into that particular routine of movements.

Now it is just automatic to do it that way..

I will have to check again, but I "THOUGHT" that my seat could be controlled by the ignition turning on or off..

But I vaguely remember that there was something about the way it worked that I didn't like.

The thing that bothers me the most is not being able to access the functions of the NAV system when the car is moving.

I have thought of putting an ON/OFF switch in the VSS wire to eliminate that problem

The dealer was telling me something about rewiring the NAV to play DVDs while running. He called it a "Chicken Switch".

What is the VSS wire? Is it like the databus wire that communicates to the head unit that the car is out of park? If so, I would think that there would be a similar wire on the MSM. Someone once posted that the data wire was usually green. I have not looked nor have I even located the MSM. I have read on other models that it is on the bottom of the driver's seat but I have not looked on mine.

The way that my "Easy Exit" works when enabled is this. When I shut off the car, nothing happens. When the key is then pulled from the ignition, the easy exit goes into motion...kinda. The seat goes back and the wheel goes up about half way and does not telescope in. Ok, so you've exited and are now returning to the car. You hit the unlock on your fob. As soon as you hit that, the seat moves into position and the wheel comes back down. Hello!?!?! I am not in the vehicle yet. So then you have to open the door and hit the exit button on the door to get in. Then press #1. Apparently too many people complained about that so on the 2011 it will know which position by the fob but the automation does not start until you insert the key in the ignition.

What I did was this, disable all the auto stuff. I moved my seat all the way back, moved the wheel all the way up, and telescoped it all the way in. I then pressed and held 2 to set it. Now when I shut the car off, I reach over and hit 2. I get out. Do whatever . Come back. After I get in, I have to remember to hit 1 and wait for it.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

What I did was this, disable all the auto stuff. I moved my seat all the way back, moved the wheel all the way up, and telescoped it all the way in. I then pressed and held 2 to set it. Now when I shut the car off, I reach over and hit 2. I get out. Do whatever . Come back. After I get in, I have to remember to hit 1 and wait for it.

That's about the same thing I did... :)

The easy exit does not move back enough and does not move the wheel up enough to suit me.

I am the only one who drives my car, so I have the "1" button set for driving and the "2" button set for getting out.

My understanding is that the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire is green and comes out of the transmission and runs up into the dash and connects to the NAV system.

It tells the NAV and part of the DIC that the car is above 5 MPH.

5 MPH is the cutoff speed where the VSS signal disables several things...

I have not looked for it yet to splice a toggle switch into it, so I don't know the EXACT location.

I do not think it would have any effect on the seat position button, since that uses a combination of signals.

ie.. the engine must be running "AND" the vehicle must be out of PARK.

Posted Image

The easy exit does not move back enough and does not move the wheel up enough to suit me.

I am the only one who drives my car, so I have the "1" button set for driving and the "2" button set for getting out.

I'd like to know why GM thought that it would be a good idea to lock down the exit position. Why would they not let us set it like we set 1 position and 2 position. Freakin' weird...

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I'd like to know why GM thought that it would be a good idea to lock down the exit position. Why would they not let us set it like we set 1 position and 2 position. Freakin' weird...

You can push the EASY EXIT button more than one time and each time it will raise the wheel a little more and move the seat back a little more... but I agree... it is a REALLY DUMB way to have it set up.

There is a fair possibility that the setting could be changed if you had access to a Tech 2 to go look at the settings in the module.

Posted Image

You can push the EASY EXIT button more than one time and each time it will raise the wheel a little more and move the seat back a little more... but I agree... it is a REALLY DUMB way to have it set up.

There is a fair possibility that the setting could be changed if you had access to a Tech 2 to go look at the settings in the module.

I've wondered if this Tech 2 device would give me options to disable the park safety on the MSM as well.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I've wondered if this Tech 2 device would give me options to disable the park safety on the MSM as well.

That is a possibility, but the last time I priced them they were about 2 grand. :(

Before spending that kind of money, I would also want access to the updates from GM so I could install new ones when they came out.

Sometimes the new updates solve problems that people complain about.

In late 2007 or early 2008, I had my dealer install all of the then current updates to my car.

It took over two and a half hours.

I was standing around talking to and watching the service manager while he did it.

I have not experienced a lot of the glitches and issues that I have heard other people talk about.

Posted Image

Archived