CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Location of Cooling fan relay

I have a 2004 Deville and am getting a P0481 code / Cooling fan Relay 2. What I need to know is where is this located, under hood or under dash? I'm not sure this is the problem but a start, if fan 1 and fan 2 relays are the same i will swap them and see if the codes follow, any help would be appreciated in advance.

I have a 2004 Deville and am getting a P0481 code / Cooling fan Relay 2. What I need to know is where is this located, under hood or under dash? I'm not sure this is the problem but a start, if fan 1 and fan 2 relays are the same i will swap them and see if the codes follow, any help would be appreciated in advance.

I know on 99 deville they are down bottom part of the radiator almost below it. Look under there and see if yours are there. They had 3 of them and they were all the same part number.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I know on 99 deville they are down bottom part of the radiator almost below it. Look under there and see if yours are there. They had 3 of them and they were all the same part number.

Thanks I will check it out and inform all when I find them..UpDate, I found them 1 & 2 they are located in the Main fuse panel under the hood on left side, Fuses are position 46 & 47 Relays are position 37 & 40 doesn't mention a third location although the schematics shows 3 as you mentioned, but 2 is my problem anyway.

The service manual has this note listed below. It may keep you from scratching your head a bit.

Important

The cooling fan fuses and cooling fan relays 1 and 2 are labeled incorrectly on the underhood sticker. Refer to Electrical Center Identification Views in Wiring Systems for the proper locations.

The picture shows 39 at the bottom left and 40 just to the right of it and fuse 47 at the bottom right and 46 just above this. It may be correct in your owners manual.

39-COOLFAN S/P Relay

--

Series circuit function-connects the LH and RH cooling fan motor circuits together for low speed operation

Parallel circuit function-connects the LH cooling fan motor to ground for high speed operation

40-COOLFAN 2 Relay

--

Parallel circuit function-supplies voltage to the RH cooling fan motor for high speed operation

46-COOLFAN 1 Fuse

30A

COOL FAN 1 Relay 37

47-COOLFAN 2 Fuse

30A

COOL FAN 2 Relay 40, COOL FAN S/P Relay 39

The service manual has this note listed below. It may keep you from scratching your head a bit.

Important

The cooling fan fuses and cooling fan relays 1 and 2 are labeled incorrectly on the underhood sticker. Refer to Electrical Center Identification Views in Wiring Systems for the proper locations.

The picture shows 39 at the bottom left and 40 just to the right of it and fuse 47 at the bottom right and 46 just above this. It may be correct in your owners manual.

39-COOLFAN S/P Relay

--

Series circuit function-connects the LH and RH cooling fan motor circuits together for low speed operation

Parallel circuit function-connects the LH cooling fan motor to ground for high speed operation

40-COOLFAN 2 Relay

--

Parallel circuit function-supplies voltage to the RH cooling fan motor for high speed operation

46-COOLFAN 1 Fuse

30A

COOL FAN 1 Relay 37

47-COOLFAN 2 Fuse

30A

COOL FAN 2 Relay 40, COOL FAN S/P Relay 39

Everything was just as I listed it in my response, some manuals or diagrams might have been wrong, mine was not and my repair is complete and all is working fine now with the replacement of Relay 2 spot 40, Thanks for all the help, I understand you were just stating what was in the manual, I just mentioned it so some one else has all the info. evidentially some are correct some aren't.

Archived