CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar and privacy

An old school chum and somewhat of a conspiracy theorist recently wrote the following:

The North Star GPS system GM puts in you auto, can be accessed by the feds, even if its turned off, they can hear every word your saying in that auto and know your location

Do we have any knowledge of how much if anything in that statement is valid?

A) I think you are thinking of OnStar (satellite commmunications) not Northstar (engine/powertrain)

B) Don't think this is a factual concern, but if you are worried about this you should also be concerned about your pocket cell phone it would seem to me

C) You can find out more into at onstar.com if you like.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Ah, yes. Onstar. I am not personally worried, my Eldo is pre Onstar. I felt that his statement on the ability of the feds to listen even when turned off was a bit over the top. I will scan the Onstar site.

Thanks

Anytime the built in OnStar is active...it mutes the radio or CD player.

You should know by that when someone is listening...

Oh..but I forgot... if it is the FEDS listening to you.. that have a secret way to listen WITHOUT muting the stereo... so they can hear you discussing your current dinner plans while you are listening to ZZTop and you will never know it.

On a serious note... I have heard that theory ever since they put OnStar in the first vehicle...

Personally... I don't have any idea if it is true or not.

I did have OnStar call me one time when I was in the mountains in Colorado to see if I had been in an accident.

I was driving rather BRISKLY, thru a series of really sharp curves and small but really steep, up and down hills.

I was having a lot of fun staying right on the tail of a BMW 7 Series and in front of a G35 coupe.

Evidently the accelerometer or the YAW sensor triggered the emergency part of OnStar.

After telling OnStar that I was fine...Darling Wife told me it was time to slow down... that even the CAR thought I was going too fast. :P

Posted Image

Here is some interesting info regarding cell phones at this link. If you watch NCIS or NCIS Los Angeles you would NEVER use a cell phone, as they solve most of their crimes via cell phone cracking, hacking and locating

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-device-thats-tracking-your-every-move-and-its-in-your-hand/

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

....I did have OnStar call me one time when I was in the mountains in Colorado to see if I had been in an accident.

I was driving rather BRISKLY, thru a series of really sharp curves and small but really steep, up and down hills.

I was having a lot of fun staying right on the tail of a BMW 7 Series and in front of a G35 coupe.

Evidently the accelerometer or the YAW sensor triggered the emergency part of OnStar.

After telling OnStar that I was fine...Darling Wife told me it was time to slow down... that even the CAR thought I was going too fast. :P

I "might" have an explanation for Onstar calling you. But it would be theoretical at best.

As for the original poster's question, when conspiracy theorists start ranting and can't even use the correct technology terminology, I tune them out. If "Big Brother" ever decided to listen to my cell phone conversations or track my location via cell phone tower location, they would be bored to tears.

And for the record, GPS receivers are simply receivers. The location of a specific GPS receiver can no more be identified than the location of a specific broadcast band radio or TV signal receiver.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....I did have OnStar call me one time when I was in the mountains in Colorado to see if I had been in an accident.

I "might" have an explanation for Onstar calling you. But it would be theoretical at best.

As for the original poster's question, when conspiracy theorists start ranting and can't even use the correct technology terminology, I tune them out. If "Big Brother" ever decided to listen to my cell phone conversations or track my location via cell phone tower location, they would be bored to tears.

And for the record, GPS receivers are simply receivers. The location of a specific GPS receiver can no more be identified than the location of a specific broadcast band radio or TV signal receiver.

JimD...

I would love to hear your theory on why they may have called me.

I have wondered, ever since that happened. what could have triggered it.

I had my hands full with the car and was kinda startled when the lady called... I forgot to ask for for a good explanation.

Posted Image

FWIW and swerving way off topic!

Yes, your accelerometers "could have" been part of the reason your car flagged a momentary code that was routinely transmitted via OnStar. The code was related to the twisties you were enjoying rather than the vertical movement of the car.

Stabilitrac monitors the (longditudinal) difference between the driver's steering input position and rate of change (via the steering wheel position sensor) AND how the car is responding to that steering wheel position input (via accelerometers).

With a front wheel drive car, the most common longditudinal and lateral force error condition on dry surfaces would be "understeer". Airplane drivers will know this difference as "yaw" or "crab angle" and the terms do not exactly apply to a land-based vehicle. But close enough.

So. IF your steering wheel position sensor plus your accelerometers are at the edges of their respective manufacturing specifications/tolerances, it is "possible" that your Stabilitrac system reported an understeer condition that did not actually exist.

Too many words, I know.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

FWIW and swerving way off topic!

Yes, your accelerometers "could have" been part of the reason your car flagged a momentary code that was routinely transmitted via OnStar. The code was related to the twisties you were enjoying rather than the vertical movement of the car.

Stabilitrac monitors the (longditudinal) difference between the driver's steering input position and rate of change (via the steering wheel position sensor) AND how the car is responding to that steering wheel position input (via accelerometers).

With a front wheel drive car, the most common longditudinal and lateral force error condition on dry surfaces would be "understeer". Airplane drivers will know this difference as "yaw" or "crab angle" and the terms do not exactly apply to a land-based vehicle. But close enough.

So. IF your steering wheel position sensor plus your accelerometers are at the edges of their respective manufacturing specifications/tolerances, it is "possible" that your Stabilitrac system reported an understeer condition that did not actually exist.

Too many words, I know.

Not too many words at all.

I always enjoy reading your explanations...

I used to have a private pilots license with instrument rating...years ago, so I am fimiliar with the terms you used.

In thinking about it.. it was probably the Stabilitrac that alerted them or the ABS.

Maybe both in conjunction with each other.

Just before the OnStar call... I had ran down into a couple of corners real hard...the ABS kicked in a couple of times, then I used the Stabilitrac to help me get around the corner.

The TC light blinks when Stabilitrac is working.

The car was sliding around some when I was doing that. :D

I was having fun till Darling Wife said to back off and slow down.

And, like a good husband... I did as I was told...:D

I haven't pushed it that hard since then.

I don't want to get knots put on my head.

Posted Image

Here is some interesting info regarding cell phones at this link. If you watch NCIS or NCIS Los Angeles you would NEVER use a cell phone, as they solve most of their crimes via cell phone cracking, hacking and locating

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-device-thats-tracking-your-every-move-and-its-in-your-hand/

Interesting article and good source. I sent my resume and writing samples into the blaze a week and a half ago for an editorial position. Probably won't get it but I saw the posting and figured what the hell.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Hey Jeff, good luck with it!

I also read hotair.com and americanthinker.com daily

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I think it would be obvious that OnStar can pinpoint location since locating a stolen vehicle is one of the good things (I think) about OnStar. I'm not worried.