CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well, y'all make me wonder what was wrong with my 95. Who knows. I bought it with 304,000 miles on it and totaled it two years later with 336,000. She served her time well.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Well, T/C on or off, that 95 was a little doggish at low end. I always figured that it was tuned that way in the computer's programming due to the EPA and the "Greenies".

The 95 started in second gear with the TC off, it would be doggie for sure. The reason is to protect the powertrain otherwise you would have smoked the tires with a 1st gear start.

What was your 95 and STS or ETC, or the plain vanilla type? The STS/ETC was slower off the line but was built for high end, anotherwords an SLS could beat an STS off the line, but the STS would blow it away further down the 1/4 mile.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Well, y'all make me wonder what was wrong with my 95. Who knows. I bought it with 304,000 miles on it and totaled it two years later with 336,000. She served her time well.

do you have pics of your DTS posted anywhere?

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

do you have pics of your DTS posted anywhere?

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=37265

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

My 96 deville has been awesome to drive. I accidentally squealed the tires at the kids school this am. on the expressway it passes with ease. It gets decent gas mileage and looks darn good for 15 yrs old. The torque steer is unbelievable and takes a bit to get used to. I really love this car .Its all original untouched. :bluesbrothers:

I hear you 1000% percent I wouldnt trade my deville for anything

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I remember that my 95 SLS had some error in it and I want to say that it was some transmission lock out thing. I am starting to think that the whole time that I owned the car I never saw first gear. Maybe that's why it was a dog. Maybe the previous owner knew it and that's why he sold it.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I have owned 3 Caddys so far 89 DeVille with the 4.9, and 2 Northstars, both 98 models with the 4.6 Northstar. One was a 98 base model Deville and the one I have now is a SeVille STS. The STS has the H.O. engine which is supposed to have 25 hp more than the base 4.6 Northstar, but, it feels like it has way more. I have put a K and N intake and filter and different mufflers on it, so, it breathes a little better on the intake and exhaust side. I am sure that gives some mild hp gains, but, it feels twice as fast as my Deville did. I know the transmission has some programming that affects the shifting if you are driving it aggressively and I am not sure what the final drive ratio is on both cars. I just know that the STS seems like a rocket compared to the Deville of the same year and I was very impressed with the performance of the DeVille. I didn't think it was a dog at all and neither did anyone else who ever rode in it with me. They couldn't believe the performance for a big car. I have taken some of my same friends for a ride in the STS. After they change their underwear, they all agree that the STS really moves. The only other mod I am thinking about is some high tech spark plugs. I have read enough reviews on them to know that some of them can actually deliver some more hp, but, more importantly now, better gas mileage. I am new on here, so, anybody that would like to drop me a line and say hi, feel free to. I do think the ride is a little firmer on the STS than the Deville, but, I understand the STS is supposed to be sportier. I understand the electronic ride control is supposed to constantly adjust for driving style and conditions. It still rides good, dont get me wrong, but, a little softer highway ride would be nice when you are just cruising. Maybe a switch on the transmission for sport and cruising mode would have been a good option on this car. I love it regardless and the Bose factory system is great. Have a great day and enjoy driving your Cadillacs. Sincerely, Mike Anderson (tat2CaddyMike)

I have owned 3 Caddys so far 89 DeVille with the 4.9, and 2 Northstars, both 98 models with the 4.6 Northstar. One was a 98 base model Deville and the one I have now is a SeVille STS. The STS has the H.O. engine which is supposed to have 25 hp more than the base 4.6 Northstar, but, it feels like it has way more. I have put a K and N intake and filter and different mufflers on it, so, it breathes a little better on the intake and exhaust side. I am sure that gives some mild hp gains, but, it feels twice as fast as my Deville did. I know the transmission has some programming that affects the shifting if you are driving it aggressively and I am not sure what the final drive ratio is on both cars. I just know that the STS seems like a rocket compared to the Deville of the same year and I was very impressed with the performance of the DeVille. I didn't think it was a dog at all and neither did anyone else who ever rode in it with me. They couldn't believe the performance for a big car. I have taken some of my same friends for a ride in the STS. After they change their underwear, they all agree that the STS really moves. The only other mod I am thinking about is some high tech spark plugs. I have read enough reviews on them to know that some of them can actually deliver some more hp, but, more importantly now, better gas mileage. I am new on here, so, anybody that would like to drop me a line and say hi, feel free to. I do think the ride is a little firmer on the STS than the Deville, but, I understand the STS is supposed to be sportier. I understand the electronic ride control is supposed to constantly adjust for driving style and conditions. It still rides good, dont get me wrong, but, a little softer highway ride would be nice when you are just cruising. Maybe a switch on the transmission for sport and cruising mode would have been a good option on this car. I love it regardless and the Bose factory system is great. Have a great day and enjoy driving your Cadillacs. Sincerely, Mike Anderson (tat2CaddyMike)

The muffler system opened up the exhaust and that is a good mod. The K&N air filter.....how did you affect that, is it a CONE under the hood. Describe your K&N setup. Our research and experience tells us that the K&N does nothing, and it can allow DIRT into the intake system. If you used one of those CONE filters and you eliminated the OEM box, you are actually pulling HOT under hood air into the intake. The STOCK system pulls air from OUTSIDE the HOOD and pulls it OVER the PCM to COOL it. Describe your K&N system, be advised that you are allowing MORE dirt

As far as the plug are concerned be careful, those high tech plugs can cause idle and performance problems, AC DELCO are stock, some have used NKG with success. I personally have had problems with BOSCH. A spark is a spark. It has been known that the AC DELCO plugs lose their platinum pads and some have moved to NKG

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My 85 Deville was snappy with the 4.9L and would roast the tires right off but was harder passing on the highway.

The 85 Deville had a 4.1L V8 from the factory unless someone transplanted a 4.9 in it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 4 weeks later...

My 85 Deville was snappy with the 4.9L and would roast the tires right off but was harder passing on the highway.

The 85 Deville had a 4.1L V8 from the factory unless someone transplanted a 4.9 in it.

I was assuming he meant 95 Deville. My 85 Deville couldn't pass a tired old F-150 if its life depended on it. I hadn't thought about that old car for quite some time. :)

The guy that did my first tune on the modules is going to be in Kansas City April 29 thru May1

My DTS was the first Cadillac he had ever tuned.

He specializes in Chevy and GMC pickups and SUV's.

He is in high demand and travels all over the country tuning vehicles.

After he tuned mine, I bought the complete software package that he uses.

http://www.efilive.c...emart&Itemid=54

Here is a link to a truck forum I am on and to the Kansas City tune.

http://www.truckmodc...ead.php?t=15468

I like it but it says that it is for 2006 and older obdII systems.

FlashScan V2 supports the three major OBD protocols used by GM vehicles:

1. OBDII CAN for scanning, data logging, reading and re-programming most 2006 and later model years.
  2. OBDII VPW J1850 for scanning, data logging, reading and re-programming most 1996 to 2005 model years.
  3. OBDI ALDL for scanning and data logging most 1995 and earlier model years.

From another page...

06-09 Cadillac DTS 4.6L

I've had EFI Live V2 to program my Duramax for a year and a half. I knew I could reprogram LS-1's and some of the newer 6.0 L V-8's but was not aware that I could modify any Northstars. Please don't tell me I'm dreaming... :)

The guy that did my first tune on the modules is going to be in Kansas City April 29 thru May1

1. OBDII CAN for scanning, data logging, reading and re-programming most 2006 and later model years.
  2. OBDII VPW J1850 for scanning, data logging, reading and re-programming most 1996 to 2005 model years.

From another page...

06-09 Cadillac DTS 4.6L

I've had EFI Live V2 to program my Duramax for a year and a half. I knew I could reprogram LS-1's and some of the newer 6.0 L V-8's but was not aware that I could modify any Northstars. Please don't tell me I'm dreaming... :)

Nope... you are not dreaming...

It can do ALL KINDS of stuff to a 2006 and newer.

You can do the ECM "AND" the TCM and remove the dadgum GM nannies (torque control and timing retard) that are in the transmission.

Posted Image

From another page...

06-09 Cadillac DTS 4.6L

You can do the ECM "AND" the TCM and remove the dadgum GM nannies (torque control and timing retard) that are in the transmission.

This is awesome news! I've removed every nanny device from my Duramax, and have it getting 22 MPG on the freeway with my custom tune. 4x4 7000 pound trucks are not supposed to get that kind of fuel mileage. Stock, it got 19 MPG. It took months of tweaking to find exactly how I wanted it tuned, but it is now officially time to take aim at a gasser for once. While my diesel is set up to liquefy the tires, I will make sure to keep the Northstar docile. I don't feel like putting new head studs in anytime soon. :)

From another page...

06-09 Cadillac DTS 4.6L

This is awesome news! I've removed every nanny device from my Duramax, and have it getting 22 MPG on the freeway with my custom tune. 4x4 7000 pound trucks are not supposed to get that kind of fuel mileage. Stock, it got 19 MPG. It took months of tweaking to find exactly how I wanted it tuned, but it is now officially time to take aim at a gasser for once. While my diesel is set up to liquefy the tires, I will make sure to keep the Northstar docile. I don't feel like putting new head studs in anytime soon. :)

The Northstar must be a 2006 OR NEWER...

Posted Image

Archived