CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starting question on 06 DTS?

IaBoy

My 2006 DTS has a starting problem. The last few mornings when I have tried to start it a clicking sound was heard, like it had a dead battery. I tried turning the key again, and it reluctantly turned over very slowly. After a couple of more times of turning the key, it finally started. After starting, it started fine the rest of the day, and the next morning the same thing all over again. I think it is the original battery. Does this sound like a battery, or a starter problem. I am still under the certified 100K warranty.

Steve in Iowa

Just a slightly loose battery cable can cause it to click or sound like its struggling to start. First check all your cables, then maybe consider the battery, highly highly doubt a starter.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Sounds like a battery to me.

Mine has done that a couple of times when it hasn't been driven for a week or more.

The battery was low because I left the cell phone charger plugged in and the radar detector on.

If it is the original...it is now 6 years old and probably time for a replacement.

The battery is under the back seat.

Posted Image

Sounds like a battery to me. I'd check the connections as mentioned. I would think you'd have another year or two left on the battery but you don't know how many times it has been discharged unless you're the original owner of the car. Once a battery is discharged, it's lifespan is shortened.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Another vote for battery; sounds as it's loosing enough current overnight to have a hard start problem (the engine is cold, as is the oil and morning starts are just a more heavy drain on the starting/battery system) but during the day the alternator is keeping the battery at levels that can easily start your vehicle (plus the engine is a little warmer and easier to crank). This is actually good news (for you) as you are being given an opportunity to buy that new battery, get it installed without getting stuck somewhere; sometimes battery failure is a lot more sudden.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

You might want to verify that you do not have a parasitic drain - disconnect the negative battery lead and hook up an ammeter to the negative battery terminal and the other lead to the negative cable. Wait for the computers to "go to sleep" (about 20 minutes). The draw should be 30mA or less. If it is more than 30mA, pull fuses until you find the circuit that puts the amp draw below 30 mA.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

As for checking for a parasitic drain... you will have to stay in the car with the doors closed and the ignition off till the computer goes to sleep.

On your car... when you open a door or turn ANYTHING on.. it wakes up the car computers.

But based on it probably being the original battery... and your description of the way it started.. it sounds like the battery was real low.

That could mean it is just time to replace it, or as Kevin said... it could be a parasitic drain.

I have been thinking of replacing mine just because it is 5 years old and I don't want to get stranded somewhere when it decides to suddenly NOT WORK anymore...:D

Posted Image

Steve,

One other suggestion is to pull the battery and have it load tested - then you will know if the battery is OK.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived