CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

original tires?

joeb

what brand/model tires did caddy put on a 96STS? does it vary for different regions? like CA or FL? the door sticker says H rated tires. goodyear eagle? my 96 intrepid came with eagle GA. don't recall what premium model goodyear had in 96? michelin? hope it was not some firestone offering. bf goodrich?

My 1997 ETC came with Goodyear RS-A tires, and they were better than anything I tried until I got Michelin Pilot A/S tires. Tire stores and even dealers will recommend luxury tires that are designed for quietness and ride - appropriate for a Deville or possibly an SLS but not an STS.

The Goodyear RS-A did not come in Z-rated form. For Z-rated tires, the factory tire was the Eagle GA, as I recall. If I was getting an OEM H-rated tire, I would get the RS-A, which is still being sold. The Goodyear Eagle GA Z-rated 225-60 R16 hasn't been available for years. For Z-rated, Bridgestone makes some good ones; the Michelin Pilot A/S isn't offered in that size the last time I looked.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

got my car in 2000 with 50k miles. had a brand i did not recognize. pretty sure they were not original. looked fairly new so i figured they did not have a lot of miles. was a small country dealer so its possible tires had be swapped from another car? went to some websites and really surprised all the negative comments on goodyear and rs-a especially.

You can find negative comments on just about anything with a web search. I think it's better to look at reviews left by buyers on web sites that sell tires, like The Tire Rack. And, one guy can rail about tires intended for tight suspensions like the RS-A on a car with bad shocks giving a bad ride and other misguided one-guy one-car one-tire opinions. If you have ten reviews, you can figure out which ones are appropriate to your car and driving habits, and what you want and expect from a tire.

One thing I have found is, without exception, a tire dealer will recommend the wrong tire for my car. Thus I recommend that you decide which tire you want and go out and find it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived