CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wreath/Crest Application on Vinyl

I received in the mail the two sets of wreath and crest that were for and SRX but I'm using on my vinyl top. What are your thoughts of adhering to the vinyl? The have an adhesive already on them covered with some blue plastic. The vinyl top place said that the factory adhesive did not work well and that it would need to have a different adhesive. Anyone knowledgeable in vinyl tops?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Usually, emblems that are on the sail panel (c-pillar) have pins that pass through holes in the c-pillar and are retained with push nuts from the inside.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Usually, emblems that are on the sail panel (c-pillar) have pins that pass through holes in the c-pillar and are retained with push nuts from the inside.

Not in my case.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

on stock vinyl tops the foam is sometimes shaved down where the emblem goes so that it is countersunk a little. And like said everyone I have seen has prongs on it. If you have stick on ones they were meant for sticking to the body itself, like on baldy tops or fenders or trunks. Definately research what will stick the best to metal (if they are metal) and vinyl. For metal I have had luck with full strength epoxy over the epoxy made for metal (silver stuff) and windshield adhesive is also very good with metal. This is a really touchy thing to do. Get it wrong and you will have a mess on your top and also theres no guarantee it will stay through the years. Theres a reason they put prongs through the body on all tops. If I were you I would lightly tack weld on a couple prongs per part. Quick tack welding shouldnt discolor the chrome. Then you get to drill holes through your top and body :( But if you are going to do it, do it right. Im in the same boat on my new top. For the time being im leaving it badgeless.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

A good quality silicon applied carefully to thoroughly cleaned surfaces has always worked well for me. I've never had a badge come off. You can get it off of a non-porous surface if you need to when it's dry in case you make a mistake or change your mind.

I applied the same wreath and crest emblems to my sail panels in 2008....no holes or pins. The adhesive was the same, covered in blue plastic. I have checked them several times and find the adhesive foam to be EXTREMELY strong, so you likely won't have an issue. I'll add though that a few things would make the application even better. A thorough cleaning of the area is a must of course. If the vinyl has an aggressive pebble grain surface, anything you can do to minimize that would provide more surface area for the adhesive and lessen the chance that dirt or vinyl cleaners will get behind the foam. I don't recommend cutting or sanding, and don't really know how heating the area would affect it, so you'll need to be careful if you attempt this. If you had a small sample of the material to practice on, that would help. To avoid "reinventing the wheel" just check with a body shop like Jim says.

My biggest suggestion is to make two paper templates to ensure that the emblems on each side go in exactly the same place. Make the two papers to match the body, then mark the location on one, put the papers together and cut the locating hole through both. Apply the guides to the sail panels and apply the emblems through the holes. It will take a little time, but will give a professional appearance when your done. This will also ensure that each emblem is level too.

Finally, the local Caddy dealer's custom shop (they use them all the time, and might be part of their regular shop) will have an answer for you.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I forgot to add that my top is not vinyl, but smooth and painted. Still, that's some tough adhesive on those badges. OH, and you only get ONE chance to stick them on, once they touch the car, you're NOT going to reposition them!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

These sets do not have metal posts and I don't want to weld them on and drill into the sail panel.

Anyone think that the adhesive mounting tape that is already on them will hold to vinyl for years? I know they are meant to on flat metal. The vinyl is not padded but merely stretched across a fiberglass shell.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

These sets do not have metal posts and I don't want to weld them on and drill into the sail panel.

Anyone think that the adhesive mounting tape that is already on them will hold to vinyl for years? I know they are meant to on flat metal. The vinyl is not padded but merely stretched across a fiberglass shell.

i dont think anyone can guarantee that. I know epoxy would hold better than that tape but the tape wont ruin the vinyl. I dont think tape would stick too long but they use it to stick on plastic moldings on the sides of cars so who knows. Could test it out. Clean a spot really well, tape on a spare emblem or a small piece of plastic/metal and take it to the car wash and hit with the sprayer.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Archived