CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

08 Northstar chatter

My DTS goes back to the dealership tonight for break work tomorrow (on them as it was a pre-existing problem).

Unrelated...When I first start the car cold, it almost sounds like a little chatter coming from the motor until it can get the oil to the top end. Is this normal or should I address it with the dealer at the same time? It's not loud enough to hear in the car, only when I am outside it and use the remote start.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

could be cold carbon rap. ask dealer what they recommend. but you need to have car at dealer cold? could try upper engine treatment. dealer likes selling those services.

Unless its under warranty and they are going to do an upper engine cleaning for free, I would not pay for it

If they say its carbon as joeb suggested, go do the WOT procedure and see if that helps. The NS can NOT be babied, you must drive it hard at times for it to be happy

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It's under their warranty so I will ask about it. I have limited information about it's past history but a few indicators tells me that it was babied. It came from Plano Texas, was a single owner, was garage kept, and never had a loan on it. The previous owner just wrote out a check for it.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

....I have limited information about it's past history but a few indicators tells me that it was babied.

Take the last 8 characters of the VIN to ANY GM dealer service department. They will be able to pull up the history of any service work performed at a GM dealer's facility.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

My DTS goes back to the dealership tonight for break work tomorrow (on them as it was a pre-existing problem).

Unrelated...When I first start the car cold, it almost sounds like a little chatter coming from the motor until it can get the oil to the top end. Is this normal or should I address it with the dealer at the same time? It's not loud enough to hear in the car, only when I am outside it and use the remote start.

I am not saying it is normal...but mine has done that from day 1.

Like you, I can only hear it in my garage on the first start of the day and then only for 30 seconds or so.

If I go anywhere .. park it for a bit..come back and start it..I never hear it then.

I have over 95,000 miles on it now and it is EXACTLY the same "NOW" as it was when I bought it brand new.

I have tried a couple different brands and weights of oil...nothing seems to really make much of a difference to the little noise on cold start.

I am not saying not to have it checked out...

The noise in yours may be different than the noise in mine.

If you have ever had a car with solid lifters... that's what mine sounds like.

Just an "EVER SO SLIGHT" top end RATTLE for a few seconds, but only on a COLD start.

Keep in mind, I am SUPER PICKY about my car and how it is maintained.

Posted Image

Archived