CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Vogue Tyres

My Dad just shod his Deville with Vogues. He has the 17 inch wheels, and the only size vogue offers for them is a 235/55R17, which is the stock tire size anyway.

He paid $200 bucks a tire. Initally he was going to get them from Discount Tire Co., due to there "beat any price by 10 dollars a tire" deal, but the guy there was a jerk, so he got them from an independent guy in down-town Detroit.

I think he got about the best deal you could find for Vogues.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Spence,

I have a set of Vogue "Tyres" that I took off my '99 the day after I bought it (see pic below). They have the embossed diamond in the white stripe and are almost brand new. I bought the STS on eBay, flew to Chicago to pick it up and drove it about 300 mi home the same day. I bought my Michellin Pilots at the Discount Tire store and they measured the tread depth on the Vogues at 9/16 on each tire. They are size P225/60R16 and I would take $500 for the four of them. Let me know if your interested. Rick

Crap! If I would have known you were selling them I would have taken 'em in a heartbeat!! Unfortunately, I just bought some Symmetrys. Good luck selling 'em. If you have 'em come summer I will take them :)

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

They are pretty darn expensive....but nothing beats the looks on caddys.

I bought 2 on ebay for about $140 total...which is much better then $400, and they were brand new.....Cardio doc seems to have the best deal on these at the time dealers really get every penny they can out of them .

Thanks for the plug Msilva. I sell Vogue's as cheap as can legally be done. Anybody selling them cheaper - they must be stolen merchandise. Cost is cost and I know Vogue's pricing tiers. That's all I can say.

Now for some candor: While marketing themselves for years as a 'premium' tire, Vogue's in the past were notorious for quality issues including separation. Thankfully the latest model "IX" which debuted a year ago, is now what I'd consider an excellent tire. But to to be perfectly honest - I don't think it's 'better' than say, a Michelin. And one of the reasons the IX is better than Vogue's of past? Vogue doesnt make it - they have Goodyear make them in Georgia.

So really, the only reason to get Vogue's is if you like that distinctive look. And it is distinctive - you just have to decide if it's your taste. If it is - it's a very noticeable styling upgrade. If you don't like 'the look' then don't bother getting them.

cheers,

~Doc

post-3-1097847968.jpg

I always understood Vogues to ride like rocks. Almost as if you were riding on the metal rims themselves. Is this true...and have they improved that recently? I never cared for the tires' appearance, and was even more intrigued by the statements that they rode very harshly. Is the yellow stripe THAT important? :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

<<Is the yellow stripe THAT important? :)>>

Of course it is. The yellow stripe is crafted from a material called "unobtanuim" which is produced by boiling the gum from specifically culled rainforest trees. It not only produces that distinctive color, but gives the tire the ability to spring the car into the air 3-6 inches (depending on model) when encountering hot lava floes such as those found in Compton, Detroit, and Illadephia (shout out to my hood).

Besides, how else would your homies know you rolled the dough on your tires?

Besides, how else would your homies know you rolled the dough on your tires?

That was hillarious! :lol:

For styling alone I personally feel the Vogues are well worth it, and NO they do not ride like rock solid.....I actually think they "ride" better then the michelines I had before (in my trunk now), performance is one thing though, anything over 5-10mph on a turn will be Squeel mania......

No foolin either, the rears, while white wall being cracked.....are the original to the car which is a 92' w/55k........they will last another 20-30000 miles still.

Now if you dont mind the price (who doesnt) I found out yesterday that these are fantastic "burn out" tyres......TONS of smoke everywhere........sorta depresses you when you do it though because of the outragous price......just my 2 cents on these tyres....

::Great Look::

::Sucky performance::

::High Price::

::Bad rep::

::Great Warrenty::

I love that Vogue look, especially on some chrome rims! They certainly do make the car look so much better, and granted the performance may not be 100% as an another tire, but then my Caddy wouldnt be a Caddy without the Vogues on it!

Maybe the new corvette based Caddys shouldnt get the Vogues

Ref Chrome wheels & Vogue tires....a few months ago someone had a set of 93/96 optional factory chrome wheels with Vogue tires on Ebay. Does anyone know who it was. Related question: Is there any way to search Ebay for something 90 days or so old?

I always understood Vogues to ride like rocks.  Almost as if you were riding on the metal rims themselves.  Is this true...and have they improved that recently?  I never cared for the tires' appearance, and was even more intrigued by the statements that they rode very harshly.  Is the yellow stripe THAT important?  :)

Hi Jason:

The older Vogue tires definitely rode hard. They were those super-high mileage-rated tires which I personally detest. Of course they last longer - the rubber compound is harder. But to put high-mileage tires on a Cadillac kills the ride. If you bought your Cadillac used and are watching value - I guess I can understand that trade-off. But people who put high-mileage-rated tires are newer, expensive luxury cars are making a foolish decision IMO.

The latest IX Vogue's are made by Goodyear. They are a softer compound though with proper rotation will go 40k to 50k miles. They ride like the best Michelin tires.

Regarding the stripes - Jason you know that people 'pay' for style. I know a guy riding around in a 98 Eldorado with 22" rims. The price he paid is enormous in terms of tremendously sacrificed ride quality, handling, acceleration, BRAKING, fuel economy, can't turn lock-to-lock, and of course - $$$$ in cost. So people pay for style in varying degrees. Look - in the past people have argued that Cadillacs were just gussied-up Buicks. So someone could say that YOU Jason - paid for 'style'. It's all personal taste.

cheers,

~Doc

Hey Cardio-Doc, that image you posted are of the exact same rims I have, with the vogues. Now if I had an image of those rims with the non-vogue tyres you would see what I mean.

You are right, that stripe of white and gold do make a great visual difference,and I really like it.

Cardio-doc, thanks for the clarification on the different generations of Vogue tire. Regarding the style, I was just asking the question about the yellow stripe. It seems to me the only thing the Vogue tires has that's different from something like a Michelin Symmetry (which is also a white wall) is the additional yellow stripe. I was trying to get to the question of do the tires perform better, or is it purely about the yellow stripe. I have nothing against buying something for style -- as you point out, we here have Cadillacs (although I did buy mine for the Northstar engine, something you weren't able to get in any other car, until the GXP came around). :)

Besides the yellow stipe there is the lengthy warrenty, extented whitewall, and on the older models like mine 80000 mile rating........if you forget about performance for a sec and look solely at price per mile, then you pretty much come out at the same for a comparble tire....not tyre

Jason:

BTW - when I compared Vogue's to Michelin's - I was comparing them to the Michelin Energy tires which are a bit higher-end than Symmetry's. The Michelin Symmetry is a good 'basic' tire for a Cadillac. I think they're under $100/tire installed at BJ's Wholesale Club. The Michelin Energy is more like $160 to $170 installed at BJ's. IMO the Energy gives a more 'luxurious' ride than the Symmetry while at the same time having better grip. But the Symmetry is an acceptable tire for a Cadillac.

MSilva - yes, on a dollar-per-mile equation the higher-mileage Vogue's are a great value. Read between the lines of my previous post. All this comes down to personal preference and needs. And I can't think of a consumer product that has more opposing variables in the equation that automobile tires. Style, wet-traction, dry-traction, road noise, road noise, quality of ride, feel of ride, availability, and of course - price. Most of these factors are at-odds with each other.

Off to the gym - I teach spinning. Ergo one-half of my eBay username. The other half? People have called me "Doc" since I was a kid.

cheers,

~Doc

Archived