CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

is it me or is this thread all over the place?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info! I removed the cover again and cleaned off the gasket and inspected it for imperfections but found none.

I torqued the cover down according to specs from my friends Shop Manual but the sound still persists. If I torque the bolts tighter however, the sound disappears. My torque wrench is good but I'm assuming the rubber grommets could be part of the problem as the are really spongy compared to my other car and some are split.

Since I won't be driving my other car for a bit, I'm going to borrow the grommets from it and try them out. If that fixes it, then I'll see if I can find some new ones online or from the dealer... Fingers crossed.

sarakw806,

You need to find a good honest mechanic and have him take a look at your car for you. Talk to friends and see if they have any trusted mechanics that they are friends with or have known for a long time. A friend of a friend is less likely to screw you over than a big repair shop... At least in my own experience.

sarakw806 Icon

Posted Today, 05:56 PM

How about worn out tires, I think I need to get a new set, my car is kinda vibrating when I get to 66 mph.

If you are having separate problems not regarding the original topic of this thread, then try searching in the search bar at the top of the Caddyinfo page first. If you can't find anything then please create a separate topic and many people will try their best to help you out on that separate thread.

Your symptoms regarding your whistling sound are much different than mine.

Mine sounds like a dry pulley bearing (although it isn't as I've ran it with the serpentine belt off) with such a high frequency that you feel as if your brain is being sliced with tiny razors when you have your head under the open hood. I have to use ear plugs...

Are you able to record the sound with a voice recorder or video camera and then post it on here for us to listen to?

Thanks for the info! I removed the cover again and cleaned off the gasket and inspected it for imperfections but found none.

I torqued the cover down according to specs from my friends Shop Manual but the sound still persists. If I torque the bolts tighter however, the sound disappears. My torque wrench is good but I'm assuming the rubber grommets could be part of the problem as the are really spongy compared to my other car and some are split.

Since I won't be driving my other car for a bit, I'm going to borrow the grommets from it and try them out. If that fixes it, then I'll see if I can find some new ones online or from the dealer... Fingers crossed.

sarakw806,

You need to find a good honest mechanic and have him take a look at your car for you. Talk to friends and see if they have any trusted mechanics that they are friends with or have known for a long time. A friend of a friend is less likely to screw you over than a big repair shop... At least in my own experience.

sarakw806 Icon

Posted Today, 05:56 PM

How about worn out tires, I think I need to get a new set, my car is kinda vibrating when I get to 66 mph.

If you are having separate problems not regarding the original topic of this thread, then try searching in the search bar at the top of the Caddyinfo page first. If you can't find anything then please create a separate topic and many people will try their best to help you out on that separate thread.

Your symptoms regarding your whistling sound are much different than mine.

Mine sounds like a dry pulley bearing (although it isn't as I've ran it with the serpentine belt off) with such a high frequency that you feel as if your brain is being sliced with tiny razors when you have your head under the open hood. I have to use ear plugs...

Are you able to record the sound with a voice recorder or video camera and then post it on here for us to listen to?

Well, it's over, my car is fixed. YAY!!!!!! I did take to a mechanic and he was honest and moved me to the front of the line, my car was hurting and I had just gone and had 2 brand new tires on it and after I left, the car wabbled and I couldnt drive not even 15 mph OMG!!! I was horrified I didnt know what to do. I then made it to this mechanic, and that is when he said I will move you to the front, well after he checked it he said although, putting the tires on didnt cause it, when they lifted the car the shocks didnt go down into the original spot there for it squeezed out the fluid from the shocks and it was running down onto an air line which has a worn out spot that was rubbing on a metal piece next to it. Well, the worn out spot is leaking air, and when I start my car, you can hear the air pump start, the whistle is the result of the air pump filling up, well the hole in the air line is not going to let it fill up, therefore, it keeps spinning or whistle. I got it fixed and no more whislte, and I got new shocks and new tires. YAY!!!!! I hope this helps someone, it would have helped me. No more codes.

Problem semi-solved. Green Caddy has Cherry Caddy's intake cover & grommets and vice versa for the time being.

I'm assuming it is the green rubber gasket that is bad although I cleaned it and its contact surface up and found nothing wrong with it. I'm praying to the Cadillac Gods now that the dealership has the new gasket (if they can even still get it) for when I get back home.

Thanks all for the input! It's always nice to learn something.

Archived