CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Filled the caddy today for $72.00

jndnaps

This is getting crazy. I gotta get a Smart Car. :blink: $3.90 a gallon for the non ethanol gas. Runs better with it and gets better gas mileage, but $72.00 is crazy! This economy is putting me in the poor house. :wipetears

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Short memory.

Look back at the domestic gasoline price fluctuations in 2008 (remember hurricane Ike?) when the Gulf coast refinery output distribution system was damaged? I paid $4.50 per gallon in Sep. of 2008. In Jan. of 2009, after the distribution system damage was repaired, I paid $1.68 per gallon. Supply/demand is not a theory!

Today's price is impacted by civil unrest in Egypt and Libya and what that could/might mean for future middle east crude oil supplies. Add the variable of diminished short term crude demand in Japan because of the earthquake and you can expect pump prices to be volatile.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

High gas prices indirectly support production of alternate forms of energy, as well as domestic drilling & exploration. If you get a Smart Car you might also get a clown nose and big shoes?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

this is a caddy site. that means V8 motors in heavy cars. not good for city driving which is start/stop constantly. how do you find a roomy car with good performance and good mileage? you can't deny the physics involved. i saw a pic of a japanese gas station today. it said "153" on sign. i assume this is yen/liter? whats that translate into $/gal?

In England it is almost £6 a gallon thats almost $10 a gallon and they might put up the tax on it next week it getting silly money now, i drive my caddy like a little old lady. :unsure:

this is a caddy site. that means V8 motors in heavy cars. not good for city driving which is start/stop constantly. how do you find a roomy car with good performance and good mileage? you can't deny the physics involved. i saw a pic of a japanese gas station today. it said "153" on sign. i assume this is yen/liter? whats that translate into $/gal?

$7.18 per US gallon

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

A little thought shows that changing cards for better gas mileage actually costs you money, but when I was looking at an engine exchange in 2006 my wife got really hard-nosed about getting a new econocar, so I ran the numbers for her. Doing it over now because I don't recall the exact figures, we have $5K for a new engine, installed, with all the accessories, and I have a 300 hp 1997 Eldorado, 23 mpg highway, 17 mpg city (new EPA numbers). Throw out a straw-man number of 12,000 miles a year and another of $3 a gallon for gas, and take 18 mpg as a reasonable estimate for mostly city driving. That's $2K a year for gas.

A Toyota Prius goes for, say, $28K (Kelley Blue Book for 2010 Prius V, whatever that is, but I think that it is the top-of-the-line) plus destination, tax, preparation, and registration fees which we will omit here. EPA is 51 mpg city, 49 mpg highway, so we will take 50 mpg as the number for the purposes of illustration. At 12,000 miles per year and $3 a gallon that's $720 a year. You might say that it burns regular, if it does, while the Cadillac burns high-test - but most people run regular gas in their 1990's Northstars. I run 92 or 93 octane, but I probably would in a Prius too, if I had one, particularly if its PCM leveraged octane to advance the spark and run cooler with better gas mileage, as nearly all cars have done for over 20 years now.

Let's review: Caddy for $5K that costs $2K a year in gas, versus Prius for $28K that costs $720 a year in gas. The difference in acquisition cost is $23K, but let's use $20K as a round number for the cost-of-choice, because the accuracy of trade-in minus destination/tax/preparation/registration and trade-in and such will be a lot less than $20K so we have a reasonable accuarcy. The difference in gasoline cost per year is $1280 per year. So, it takes about 15.6 years to break even. And, driving a 98 hp Prius instead of a 300 hp Cadillac. Each can be said to be up for a change in car in about six years, at which time I would be down $12K. The value of an old Prius that needs a battery should be about the same as an old Cadillac, which is to say not much.

If you drive more or less than 12,000 miles per year you can reduce the number of years in the example in proportion. For example, if you drive 6,000 miles a year, you double the number of years in each example; it would take 12 years to break even, for example. You can adjust for the price of gasoline in a similar way - but don't say what you think it will be with any assurance, because the only thing we know for sure about the future price of gasoline is that it will fluctuate quite a bit and it is increasingly unpredictable as we predict farther into the future.

Driving an econocar is a form of penitence for most of us, and my particular set of priorities does not drive me to punish myself, but to pay for a reasonable price for comfort, safety, performance, and flexibility. There are other costs to such a choice; a Limerick comes to mind:

There was a young man from Boston

Who drove around in an Austin (a British econocar available in the US in the 1940's and 1950's)

There was room for his [redacted]

And a gallon of gas

But not for his [redacted] and he lost 'em.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Excellent write up Jim.

I sometimes try to explain that to some of my friends...

It usually doesn't do any good... :(

Sometimes... after they keep on and on and on about how "I" should get a smaller economy car... I sometimes tell them...

I don't WANT one...

I don't NEED one...

I don't HAVE TO HAVE ONE for the economy...

I'm not broke and if I want to drive my big ol' Cadillac and buy a lot of gas .. I will.

And then I, Very very politely, thank them for driving the little econo boxes and letting "ME" have all the extra gas I need.. :) :) :)

Then they get ticked...but leave me alone... :)

On another note...I am very lucky... Darling Wife likes the Cadillac too. :yupi3ti:

Posted Image

If you have a car you like, buying another just for gas mileage is almost always a bad idea. Now if i was in the market for another car because i needed or wanted one, I would start with what type, in my case luxury! then i would compare these cars and include gas mileage between them. Now if my life situation changed and i commuted a lot gas mileage would be close to the top of the list. but in every case I would place looks and feel foremost. After all you dont want to drive a pos you will come to hate. mike

I hate the $4 mark. Filling my 23 and 25 gallon tanks in my caddys then gets to be about $100 :(:(

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Fuel cost per mile hits home every time you fill the tank.

Replacing an "older" luxury V8 machine with a "green" econobox will include increased finance, depreciation, insurace, and ad valorem tax costs per mile that are not dispayed on the fuel pump.

Put a pencil to the numbers.

At today's crude prices, my fully depreciated '98 Seville is a bargain to drive.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It cost me $62 to fill my Monte Carlo yesterday with regular, a 16 gallon tank, for an unremarkable 3.4 liter engine that has no guts or power. Boy do I miss my Cadillac

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It cost me $62 to fill my Monte Carlo yesterday with regular, a 16 gallon tank, for an unremarkable 3.4 liter engine that has no guts or power. Boy do I miss my Cadillac

Hey Mike...

It cost me $65 to fill my DTS yesterday with Premium, 18 gallon tank, for a FANTASTIC 4.6 NorthStar that has PLENTY of guts and power.

I love my Cadillac.

Sorry... I just couldn't help it... :) :) :)

That was just too good to pass up... :)

Posted Image

Jim, thats ok, I served you up a softball on purpose....

This week I need to pull the intermediate steering shaft and lubricate it, ill post it under the 19th hole

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I had one of those econobox cars ONCE, but I drive caddy's now. Now I love driving my cars every day. I don't love filling it up but that's only 5 minutes at a time and then I get to start it again:

:yupi3ti:

This is getting crazy. I gotta get a Smart Car. :blink: $3.90 a gallon for the non ethanol gas. Runs better with it and gets better gas mileage, but $72.00 is crazy! This economy is putting me in the poor house. :wipetears

Just Part of Obama's Hope and Change Economy!

Just wait till he gets his Carbon taxes like Europe with an additional $3.00/gallon.

As he told the SF Chronicle in Jan 2008 "Under my plan of a cap and trade system, energy rates would necessarily skyrocket."

Also his Energy Sec. Chu In December 2008 told the Wall Street Journal, “Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.”

Mission Accomplished

:D In Sweden (and most of Europe) it´s about 9,25 per US Gallon! Why are You complaining????? :bluesbrothers:

When I worked for Ericsson [10+ years], I was amazed at the amount of Taxes Europeans love to pay.

In the US taxes are about $0.60/ gallon. In Europe $4+/gallon. The taxes are more than the gas itself in some countries.

BUT....he STILL has a 45% approval rating, and I doubt this is by people who DRIVE or own a home. I do believe that the public is waking up however see these articles. DO NOT listen to network news, branch out away from the sources that have an agenda, I like americanthinker.com, hotair.com, loudobbs.com and his radio show.

http://www.americant...epublicans.html

http://www.americant...rs_a_disas.html

http://www.americant...iness_bein.html

The messiah's view of the automobile market

http://hotair.com/ar...of-the-day-473/

My Caddy is nothing to fill compared to the 44 gallon tank on my 2003 Ford Excursion with a V10. But then again the Caddy will not seat 8 comfortably, pull my 24' travel trailer, enclosed trailer or 16' utility trailer. When it has 1/4 tank left that is 11 gallons. Complete fill up from empty is at least $150.00 at todays prices but that gets you more than 500 miles.

Short memory.

Look back at the domestic gasoline price fluctuations in 2008 (remember hurricane Ike?) when the Gulf coast refinery output distribution system was damaged? I paid $4.50 per gallon in Sep. of 2008. In Jan. of 2009, after the distribution system damage was repaired, I paid $1.68 per gallon. Supply/demand is not a theory!

Today's price is impacted by civil unrest in Egypt and Libya and what that could/might mean for future middle east crude oil supplies. Add the variable of diminished short term crude demand in Japan because of the earthquake and you can expect pump prices to be volatile.

No, I don't have a short memory, and don't want to see those prices again. I'm sure we will soon though.. I'm just venting.. They always find some excuse to raise the prices. And I'm really kidding about the not so smart car..

High gas prices indirectly support production of alternate forms of energy, as well as domestic drilling & exploration. If you get a Smart Car you might also get a clown nose and big shoes?

LOL I loved that one.. Love my Caddy and would love to get a 2011 DTS if things ever pick up for me.

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Archived