CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 deville turns over but won't start.

Hello people i need help with my 94 Cadillac deville. I drove home one night just fine and then the next day the car would not start. It turns over and wants to start but will not. I can get it to start when i put fuel into the corroborator but the minute i step on the gas it shuts off. i checked the fuel filter and replaced the fuel pump and still nothing. It's as if the engine is getting not fuel to it at all. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

:welcomesmiley:

The first thing to do is to run the OBD codes and post them here. There is a link in my signature block to a Caddyinfo page of instructions on how to do this.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

check to see if you can he4ar the fuel pump run. try not to confuse it with the air ride compressor though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yes, turn ignition ON, engine not running. You should hear fuel pump running for a few seconds. The leveling compressor kicks in later and it is louder.

Could be fuel pump relay. By the way, check the old pump by applying 12 V from the battery.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

P041 (E041) No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module

P052 (E052) PCM Memory Reset

I052 Keep Alive Memory Error

I039 Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data

It looks like the cam sensor is unplugged, the connector is loose, or the cam sensor is bad. The X052 codes are set when the battery is disconnected. The I039 means that the EBTCM isn't getting data from the RSS, I believe. Someone with a FSM for the 1994 model year needs to look at that code. But the no-start is looking like a cam sensor or possibly a crankshaft sensor.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

94 Sedan DeVille - 4.9 engine? The issue may be corroded contacts on the cam sensor which is mounted on the distributor assembly. I don't recall if the distributor needs to be pulled in order to access it though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hello people i need help with my 94 Cadillac deville. I drove home one night just fine and then the next day the car would not start. It turns over and wants to start but will not. I can get it to start when i put fuel into the corroborator but the minute i step on the gas it shuts off. i checked the fuel filter and replaced the fuel pump and still nothing. It's as if the engine is getting not fuel to it at all. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

I would think something is wrong inside the distributor (Hall effect switch, ignition control module), but the fact it runs for a few seconds when you pour some gas does not support that suggestion. Could be the both fuel and ignition though.

I would think something is wrong inside the distributor (Hall effect switch, ignition control module), but the fact it runs for a few seconds when you pour some gas does not support that suggestion. Could be the both fuel and ignition though.

WOW. I keep forgetting how different the 4.9 is from the N*. I never saw a 4.9 - but you are telling me there is some kind of carb where fuel can be poured down? & there is a distributor cap & rotor! I may have to make a trip into a salvage yard just to see a 4.9 now. hopefully I can find one of these beasts there.

WOW. I keep forgetting how different the 4.9 is from the N*. I never saw a 4.9 - but you are telling me there is some kind of carb where fuel can be poured down? & there is a distributor cap & rotor! I may have to make a trip into a salvage yard just to see a 4.9 now. hopefully I can find one of these beasts there.

Yup, there is a throttle body and a classic distributor with a cap and a rotor. You can see the distributor in this picture.

Yup, there is a throttle body and a classic distributor with a cap and a rotor. You can see the distributor in this picture.

THANKS. Interestering. the engine displays PFI (Port Fuel Injection), but it has some kind of carb that I figure is just to let the air in. My grandparents had a 1988 Cutlas Ciera. it was a v6 with SFI.

the little I drove the car I couldn't believe the power of the 3.8 I recall 6 fuel injectors, and a coil pack like what's on my '96 Deville I guess GM wanted to keep the 4.9 oldschool.

The alternator looks easy to replace!!

we had new 84 century w/3.0 carb, slow. got 86-87? century with 3.8 mpi and it hauled butt. ugly as a mud fence but pretty quick. got 90 lesabre with same motor and it felt slow. i hated the darn velour seats. shoulda got a T-type. buckets. console shifter. wife said no.

Edited by joeb

The Buick 3.8 V6 has a lot of versions. The first ones (1962-1976) were uneven firing, with a distributor cap that looked like one from a V8 with two plug wire towers missing, which they quickly fixed with an uneven crankshaft so that a 90 degree V6 fired like an inline or 0/60/120/180 degree V6. The distributor went away in favor of crankshaft/camshaft/MAP sensors and a PCM in 1986, when roller tappets also appeared. A turbo version emerged as an Indy pace car in 1976 and in the 1978 model year. Supercharged versions were available from 1992. Teh 1987 Buick Grand National had a faster 0-60 mph time than the best GM-published Corvette of the time and was billed as the World's Quickest Car, and is still a sought-after collector's car. Production of normally aspirated and supercharged versions continued through 2008, when it was replaced by the 3.5 VVT (211-224 hp) and the 3.6 DOHC (252-275 hp).

Some of these motors were designed for grocery-getters, some for personal cars, some for sport sedans, and some for racing. It was one of the first production V6 engiens and is the most-produced, if you lump all the versions together. One version in 4.1 liter form was availabe in 1980-1982 Cadillacs. The Wikipedia page on this motor is interesting reading:

the alternator looks easy to replace!!

That's probably the only part which was easy to replace on a 4.9 engine, but mine never failed. :)

The Buick 3.8 V6 has a lot of versions. The first ones (1962-1976) were uneven firing, with a distributor cap that looked like one from a V8 with two plug wire towers missing, which they quickly fixed with an uneven crankshaft so that a 90 degree V6 fired like an inline or 0/60/120/180 degree V6. The distributor went away in favor of crankshaft/camshaft/MAP sensors and a PCM in 1986, when roller tappets also appeared. A turbo version emerged as an Indy pace car in 1976 and in the 1978 model year. Supercharged versions were available from 1992. Teh 1987 Buick Grand National had a faster 0-60 mph time than the best GM-published Corvette of the time and was billed as the World's Quickest Car, and is still a sought-after collector's car. Production of normally aspirated and supercharged versions continued through 2008, when it was replaced by the 3.5 VVT (211-224 hp) and the 3.6 DOHC (252-275 hp).

Some of these motors were designed for grocery-getters, some for personal cars, some for sport sedans, and some for racing. It was one of the first production V6 engiens and is the most-produced, if you lump all the versions together. One version in 4.1 liter form was availabe in 1980-1982 Cadillacs. The Wikipedia page on this motor is interesting reading:

I had a 1994 Buick Century with the 3.1 V6 a few years ago. That thing was a tank, and a quick one at that. I loved that car...but I love my Eldo more. :)

big4870885.jpg

The 4.9 was a good engine but it had its quirks. It looks like a cam sensor problem. I would also check the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum hose off and see if it spews gas with the key on engine off. If it does replace it. It is really hard to replace because the screws are hard to get to but it is doable. A fuel pressure check would be helpful also.

THANKS. Interestering. the engine displays PFI (Port Fuel Injection), but it has some kind of carb that I figure is just to let the air in. My grandparents had a 1988 Cutlas Ciera. it was a v6 with SFI.

the little I drove the car I couldn't believe the power of the 3.8 I recall 6 fuel injectors, and a coil pack like what's on my '96 Deville I guess GM wanted to keep the 4.9 oldschool.

The alternator looks easy to replace!!

The 4.9 engine has multi port fuel injection. The device that the poster refers to as a "carb" is the throttle body assembly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71