CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Looking for a newer Cadi 99-2003

lothos

Hey Guys, I'm looking for a newer Cadillac. I've had a 1995 STS for over 4 years now, looking for something a little different. Currently looking at 99-2003 Devilles, STS, Seville, and Eldorado. Leaning more towards the Deville right now, but I haven't driven any yet.

Any pitfalls to look out for?

When were the headgasket bolts redesigned? Was it 2000 and 2002? Do the newer ones still have head gasket issues?

Was there really a 50th Anniversary Edition Deville in 99? Or was that just dealer badges? Are they rare enough that I should buy one? I really like the looks of the car.

The 02 Eldorados seem to be more expensive than the STS and other models, will those hold their value better since it was the last year?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

The headbolts were last redesigned in 2004.

There was an update in 2000 or 2002 though, right?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

....When were the headgasket bolts redesigned? Was it 2000 and 2002? Do the newer ones still have head gasket issues?
Several changes were applied to the 2000+ engines; the compression ratio was lowered a fraction, the pistons were redesigned to control the flame front to tolerate 87 octane fuel, the intake manifold / throttle body were redesigned AND coincidently, the head bolts were redesigned.

The Internet urban mythology rumor mill fueled by hearsay has not been kind to the Northstar. I expect a scientific study based on "evidence" would reveal the Northstar head gasket failure rate is no different from any other 1990's era engine.

And then there are the cases of inaccurate diagnosis.

If I saw a need to replace my daily driver tomorrow, I would not hesitate to buy any 2011 or earlier Northstar powered Cadillac or Buick. All I require is White Diamond and the car has to pass my inspection.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The head bolts where lengthened in 2000 and then got a coarser thread pitch in '04. Personally I'd go for a 2000 or newer. The '99's seem to have the highest failure rate from my personal observation.

The head bolts where lengthened in 2000 and then got a coarser thread pitch in '04. Personally I'd go for a 2000 or newer. The '99's seem to have the highest failure rate from my personal observation.

Nice info, thanks Ranger.

Cheers!

There was a 50th anniversary edition Deville. I do not know how many were produced but wouldn't expect that package to command that much more than the regular Deville.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There was a 50th anniversary edition Deville. I do not know how many were produced but wouldn't expect that package to command that much more than the regular Deville.

Thanks KHE :)

Cheers!

....When were the headgasket bolts redesigned? Was it 2000 and 2002? Do the newer ones still have head gasket issues?
Several changes were applied to the 2000+ engines; the compression ratio was lowered a fraction, the pistons were redesigned to control the flame front to tolerate 87 octane fuel, the intake manifold / throttle body were redesigned AND coincidently, the head bolts were redesigned.

The Internet urban mythology rumor mill fueled by hearsay has not been kind to the Northstar. I expect a scientific study based on "evidence" would reveal the Northstar head gasket failure rate is no different from any other 1990's era engine.

And then there are the cases of inaccurate diagnosis.

If I saw a need to replace my daily driver tomorrow, I would not hesitate to buy any 2011 or earlier Northstar powered Cadillac or Buick. All I require is White Diamond and the car has to pass my inspection.

Id like to also add in 2000 they went with the coil over plug design instead of coil packs and spark plug wires. Also the trunk hatch that allows you to easily get to the fuel pump is a nice addition.

I have a buddy has a 99 deville with 90k miles I believe for sale. New alternator and radiator but has some hail damage. Just had to throw that out there. If it were me I would get 2000 or newer. A downside of the 2000s though that got me was the TCC. The cheap little part that will cost you $2000 to get fixed. I cant remember maybe 2002 or newer got better in this area. Tho I think somebody was talking about it on the 05+ models still lately? Search around, lots of good cars to buy!

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

2000 Devilles had a water cooled altenator, stay away from this. Also case half leaks and other leaks carry through 2006 and maybe newer. Check this out carefully. If possible get a warranty. These things are still expensive to fix. Maintenance records are helpful.

2000 Devilles had a water cooled altenator, stay away from this.

A liquid cooled alternator would not be a deal breaker for me based on thirteen years and 200,000+ miles operating a '98 Seville (with a liquid cooled alternator).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived