CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

02 Deville Rear Suspention

sarge6th

The first picture shows the compressor (left), air dryer mounting bracket (middle) and air dryer (right) disassembled. The second picture shows which way I got the compressor out from my '97 DeVille. The picture is taken from behind the right rear wheel. In order to get the compressor out, I had to first unscrew the compressor from its mounting bracket (not the one seen in picture one, but the one holding all of the stuff in picture one to the car). Then I had to unscrew the mounting bracket and push it aside. After that, I had to disassemble the parts shown in picture one, and take the dryer and dryer mounting bracket off. After that, by twisting the compressor to get it upside down, I was able to get it out as shown in picture two. When that is done, it is important to be careful not to get any dirt into the open compressor. As you can see in picture two, the compressor is turned so that the hole from where the dryer was is turned downwards, which is good.

If your end up replacing the compressor, also replace the air dryer. It is not expensive, but important to prevent corrosion inside of the system. Also make absolutely sure that there are no leaks. Compressors usually fail because of a leak somewhere else, which makes them run for extended periods of time (they are not designed for that).

/Jonas

P1060017.JPG

P1060020.JPG

Thank you. The pictures and other info will be a great help. With luck I will not need to replace the compressor. I did find an air line with a cut and have repaired it. Now appears all is working OK but have not put a load in the car to test. Will do test this weekend.

Glad to hear that your compressor is not burnt out :). Just an idea: if you want to check that the system is not leaking, pull the ELC fuse. (ELC = Electronic Leveling Control.) Drive like that for a few days (without changing the amount of stuff in the trunk or any people in the back). If the car does not sink down, there are no leaks. Then put the fuse back. You can of course also just check that the car does not sink down overnight (no need to touch the fuse then).

I am happy to say almost 200000 miles on my 96 and all is original. with no leaks. I want to party lol. I have pics somewhere also of the compressor all taken apart. Ihave also used compressors out of oldsmobile auroras in cadillacs but only the compressor is the same, the mounts and accessories must be switched over. I always find when I take failed compressors apart that the compressor is full of water and the drier is corroded shut, usually shorts out the pump and blows the ELC fuse in the trunk.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I say replace the compressor and be satisfied with a factory repair instead of rethinking a modification

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 2 weeks later...

We guys, I finally got to check the system out. It does appear the pump is gone. Does anyone or any company rebuild the pumps or is it better to just replace with new one? By the way the pump is behind the RR wheel and above the muffler in an insulated box.

parked outside this winter. compressor seemed to run more often than i recall in past. possible cold could freeze moisture in drier and affect system performance? now that it is warming up the compressor seems to run less when starting car. is system seems to work ok, than leave it alone?

The compressors are rebuildable according to the shop manual. That route should be cheaper than buying a new one.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The compressor in my previous picture comes from suncore.com. It is a rebuilt one. The first one they sent me had a broken vent valve, so the car got more and more pumped up each time I started it (it could not release any air from the system). They sent me another one without problems when I told them about that. I did have receipts for new air shocks also, which is something they require for their compressor warranty to be valid. The date on the air shock receipts has to be earlier than the date on the compressor receipt from suncore.com. You can also buy a compressor (brand new, but different design) from arnott.com. They also send air shocks. If you get a new compressor, be sure to also get a new dryer. Suncore sells dryers, and they are about $35. Good luck! You will get a core return box if you order from suncore - they want your old compressor.

The reason that I went with a rebuilt suncore compressor instead of a new one from arnott was that I had found opinions on various forums that the arnott compressors were noisier than original.

Archived