CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 deville

runs hot after 20 miles, fine in between soon as I get to 18 / 20 miles on it, it cuts off hot , wait 15 or 20 min. starts right back up.Had flush & fill, still no dice..

please help.

themoose680

Open up the coolant reservoir when it cools down. Any smell of exhaust from the coolant? Any smell of coolant from the exhaust tailpipes?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sounds like a halfway stuck thermostat. 20 miles is approximatly the distance it takes to get the engine fully heated.

I am afraid a thermostat opens within a few minutes of driving. I doubt someone can make 20 miles in a few minutes.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sounds like a halfway stuck thermostat. 20 miles is approximatly the distance it takes to get the engine fully heated.

I am afraid a thermostat opens within a few minutes of driving. I doubt someone can make 20 miles in a few minutes.

Quite right, but if the thermostat is stuck halfway you will reach a point when that is to little. Alternative it´s a lost fan.

the longer you drive, the temp gauge keeps rising? so at 15 mi, your fully warmed up. keep going and gauge keeps rising? till it overheats and shuts off? so you wait 15 min and than start car and keep driving? what does it do than? continue to overheat?

the longer you drive, the temp gauge keeps rising? so at 15 mi, your fully warmed up. keep going and gauge keeps rising? till it overheats and shuts off? so you wait 15 min and than start car and keep driving? what does it do than? continue to overheat?

yes

well it is cool in michigan. waterpump tensioner/belt are ok since you checked them when you did the flush. how about purge line? is your radiator cap new? cooling fans are running when motor gets hot?

Archived