CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

shifter

airmike

My 99 STS shifter is not wanting to go out of park, especially noticeable after sitting for a while. Sometimes I have to keep sideways pressure on it for 30 seconds before it will release. Any ideas?

Is that electrically controlled, vacuum maybe? What do I look for?

My 99 STS shifter is not wanting to go out of park, especially noticeable after sitting for a while. Sometimes I have to keep sideways pressure on it for 30 seconds before it will release. Any ideas?

Is that electrically controlled, vacuum maybe? What do I look for?

It's electrically controlled (solenoid).

Could be the release cable is binding or ??? Since the Park release eventually operates for you, it's not likely to be a fuse or switch problem. Pieces are buried under the console.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

My 98 Eldo is doing this same thing now... It has gotten worse when the days are cold and I try to shift out of park first thing in the morning. You just have to patiently wait while squeezing the lever and pumping the brake pedal...

I want to get at it under the dash or console to dig into whats wrong, I think it's the release cable as Jim suggests. Waiting for the warmer weather!

One thing I would suggest until you get it fixed. If you turn the key forward just enough to unlock the steering (not into run position with lights on dash) you can shift into neutral and start engine from there. Then you can shift into gear and you're on your way! :hatsoff:

I had to use this neutral start idea for some time with one of my conversion vans while we wer on a trip. I replaced the brake pedal shift interlock switch when I got home...

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

My 98 Eldo is doing this same thing now....If you turn the key forward just enough to unlock the steering (not into run position with lights on dash) you can shift into neutral and start engine from there....

The '98+ Sevilles do not have locking steering wheels. All the '98+ Sevilles (plus 2000 to 2005 Deville DTS models) lock the shift lever by preventing the lever from moving sideways to shift out of PARK.

And that is only the beginning of the differences between Eldos and '98+ Sevilles.

No offense intended....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

isnt that when the ignitions changed also?

so what you are saying is that you cant turn the key forward to unlock the column but not activate the on position tto shift out of park?

what if the battery is dead and you have to move the vehicle?

and is there a hidden shiftlock release?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

sorry not trying to hijack.

just asking in general, and it should help because if it wont come out of park when the key is on it should when the key is turned forward to the first lock. that is if that feature still exists

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived