CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering Issue

backachedp

I am new here and I am a woman...I own a 1992 Sedan Deville which I have had for several years. Lately I have been having issues with my Power Steering. It does not always happen, but when I am turning to the right mostly it is sometime nearly impossible to make the steering wheel turn it is almost like when I am cranking on the wheel it feel's like it may snap...just wondering is it a belt..or is a power steering pump..I don't drive much and not on the Hwy much at all as I work close to home 2 1/2 miles and take side street's need to get this fixed, but just wondering if anyone has had this issue or can give me any input as to what could be causing this problem. I love my Old Caddy:) I have spent alot of money keeping her nice and fixing and replacing so many part's. I just do not want to bring it in and be taken advantage of. I do have a guy who has done work on my Car's, but just want an idea of what may be causing this problem. I have been driving our Truck as I don't want to make whatever it is worse. My Husband does not know alot about car's, so I thought I would hop on here and see what anyone thinks it may be...

Thank you...

:welcomesmiley:

There are two things that can cause this that I can think of immediately, low power steering fluid and a slipping serpentine belt. You should change the serpentine belt every 50,000 miles or so but most people (and mechanics) never think of them until there is a problem. It's an inexpensive repair, unless one of the idlers or the tensioner needs to be replaced, and those repairs aren't very expensive either. I would start by having the PS fluid checked and asking your mechanic to look at the serpentine belt.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Well, even if it were the belt or p/s pump you would be able to turn the wheel (though at a much heavier effort); it sounds as the problem may reside in the rack or something else binding in the steering. Bring it to a front end shop (meaning a shop that does front end alignments); it needs to be diagnosed by someone who can be hands-on (with the vehicel).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Sometimes when the belt slips or the fluid is low the wheel will turn OK in one direction but not the other, or will be OK unless the steering effort is harder, as when stopped or parking. If that fails, of course the car needs to go to a front end shop. But, low PS fluid and slipping or worn belts are far more common than rack-and-pinion problems.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Check the power steering fluid level. If it is at the proper level, inspect the serpentine accessory belt including the tensioner assembly. It may be possible the tensioner is frozen up and not tensioning the belt properly causing it to slip. If the belt slips, the steering wheel will be difficult to turn.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check the power steering fluid level. If it is at the proper level, inspect the serpentine accessory belt including the tensioner assembly. It may be possible the tensioner is frozen up and not tensioning the belt properly causing it to slip. If the belt slips, the steering wheel will be difficult to turn.

Thanks for your responce...the Power steering fluid is fine. It must be the belt, I am sure it is..as we could not figure out why suddenly the steering was so tight. Is this something that may be expensive to fix? Seem's not too long ago I replaced the Sepentine Belt, but if it's the tension thing..hmm...well I will wait and ask for a quote. My car has 130.000 miles in it no rust and is is great condition. I really enjoy my car. I have a Summer Car and the Caddy is my Winter Car and she goes thru the snow very well and best of all it rides like a dream and I have replaced so many part's I would be stupid tpo sell it. I have had an issue with my lock's in the very cold weather the door won't shut...now that it's warming up no more problem with that, but one day I was driving home from the Grocery store, and the door would not shut ZI kept slamming it, and know I shouldn't have, but I was mad and cold..had to hold it shut on the way home and turned a corner and the door flew open...LOL...good thing I only had 1/2 mile to drive..Had my Son Detail the car before Winter and will post a picture of her..showroom shine beautiful...

The serpentine belt could be contaminated with oil and coolant. The belt is less than $30.

If you look at the belt tensioner you will see a mark, which should be within certain range (you will figure out if you look at). If tensioner is out of range, the belt has to be replaced. Not a big deal. The tensioner is about $50.

By the way, a slipping belt will weaken your charging system and may affect cooling as well because the pump and the alternator will not rotate as fast as they should.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The water pump isn't on the serpentine belt on a Northstar; it's driven by one of the cams.

Whoops, I see by your profile that you have a 1992 Deville, which uses the 4.9. It does have the water pump on the serpentine belt.

Archived