CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

suspension

eldo nick

I would check to make sure that both front height sensors for the CVRSS are attached properly (if equipped). The same thing happened to my car. It was real "floaty" going over bumps. I took it to the shop and both links that connected the height sensors to the vehicle had broken off. Once replaced, everything was fine. I was happy to discover that there was a wide range of damping for the struts and you could actually feel the difference.

Max

If it's a "base" Eldorado, it'll have passive struts, with no electrical connections. If it's an ETC, it probably has the active struts. Just wanted to point that out. You may have lucked out, and can get replacement struts relatively cheap (if they're not electronic).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If it's a "base" Eldorado, it'll have passive struts, with no electrical connections. If it's an ETC, it probably has the active struts. Just wanted to point that out. You may have lucked out, and can get replacement struts relatively cheap (if they're not electronic).

Will these struts fit a 97 STS?? I believe mine are going south, car has 111K on it and I don't believe I will be spending the extra money on the electronic struts.

Dennis

Dennis

Will these struts fit a 97 STS?? I believe mine are going south, car has 111K on it and I don't believe I will be spending the extra money on the electronic struts.

There are passive struts available which will fit the '97 Seville. Check out this page for more information:

http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/97_passive_replace.html

I plan to do that very thing when I do mine this summer. In fact, I've already purchased the resistors! :D

If it's a "base" Eldorado, it'll have passive struts, with no electrical connections.  If it's an ETC, it probably has the active struts.  Just wanted to point that out.  You may have lucked out, and can get replacement struts relatively cheap (if they're not electronic).

Dennis

You should be able to replace your struts with passive struts... ;)

Lou

94 Seville STS

There are passive struts available which will fit the '97 Seville. Check out this page for more information:

I plan to do that very thing when I do mine this summer. In fact, I've already purchased the resistors! :D

I will be changing mine when I change the strut bearing/bushing at the top. I am going to see if Koni or someone has a Hi Perf Shock avaliable for those platforms.

Dennis

Dennis

Yes, I believe that's the case. Even with the passive struts on the front, the Eldorado and Deville models still used air shocks in the rear. Let me verify that at home, though. My brochure and information is there.

The rear struts may be fine. The front struts take the most abuse with all the weight of the drivetrain.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The rear struts may be fine. The front struts take the most abuse with all the weight of the drivetrain.

Certainly but the car has about 111K on it now, soon to have 112K after the trip this week and I would think they aren't what they use to be by now.

Dennis

Dennis

Jason,

What value and wattage resistor did you buy?

I was looking in the service manual last night and actuators for the road sensing suspension (SLS, DeVille) have 2 ohm resistance while the continuously variable road sensing suspension (STS, Concours) has 12 ohm resistance.

The link no longer functions.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hmmm...I just looked at that page not days ago. Maybe he's having server problems now. I think I bought 25-ohm resistors. Let me check for you when I get home.

Hmmm...I just looked at that page not days ago. Maybe he's having server problems now. I think I bought 25-ohm resistors. Let me check for you when I get home.

For some reason I thought they were 50 ohm...... or maybe it was 25 ohm 50 watts :blink:

Dennis

Dennis

My bad. I just went out to the garage to check them out. They're 12-ohm, 25-watt. I think Maydog said that 25-ohm, 50-watt ones should also work, but he had success with the 12-ohm ones.

My bad. I just went out to the garage to check them out. They're 12-ohm, 25-watt. I think Maydog said that 25-ohm, 50-watt ones should also work, but he had success with the 12-ohm ones.

I just found his procedure and you are correct, he used a 10 - 12 ohm resistor 50 watts. Digi-Key PN TMC-50-12-ND

Dennis

Dennis

Is Maydog's car a SLS or STS? The resistance of the STS strut is 12 ohms and the SLS is 2 ohms per the service manual.

50 watts seems like overkill to me - Using Ohm's law, 12 volts across 12 ohms = 1amp current draw. Power = E*I = 12*1 = 12 watts. A 25 watt resistor should be more than adequate (safety factor of 2) unless I'm missing something....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

50 watts seems like overkill to me - Using Ohm's law, 12 volts across 12 ohms = 1amp current draw. Power = E*I = 12*1 = 12 watts. A 25 watt resistor should be more than adequate (safety factor of 2) unless I'm missing something....

According to the manufacturer's recommendations, the 25 watt version would be marginal if the heat sink requirements are not observed. If mounted near the engine compartment, ambient temperature will also be a factor in the derating.

50 watts seems like overkill to me - Using Ohm's law,  12 volts across 12 ohms = 1amp current draw.  Power = E*I = 12*1 = 12 watts.  A 25 watt resistor should be more than adequate (safety factor of 2) unless I'm missing something....

According to the manufacturer's recommendations, the 25 watt version would be marginal if the heat sink requirements are not observed. If mounted near the engine compartment, ambient temperature will also be a factor in the derating.

Kevin,

Good point about the heat sink requirements - I knew I forgot something... :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

50 watts seems like overkill to me - Using Ohm's law,  12 volts across 12 ohms = 1amp current draw.  Power = E*I = 12*1 = 12 watts.  A 25 watt resistor should be more than adequate (safety factor of 2) unless I'm missing something....

Kevin,

Good point about the heat sink requirements - I knew I forgot something... :lol:

Not to mention the crud that will no doubt build up on it until the next rain or snow... :blink:

Dennis

Dennis

Does anyone know of a "qualitative" test for struts/shocks? Does this always have to be a decision based on "feel" or how much money you have lying around?

What I'm trying to ask, is there a real test with dealer or whatever equipment that has a pass-fail parameter. Perhaps mor ethat jump and front bumper and if it bounces more than twice - its done for!

Got nearly 170k (high speed gravel, potholes, etc) and it seems to handle just fine as far as going where its aimed. How to tell when "the ride" is tired.

Thanks

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived