CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

COLD ! CHECK COOLANT CONCENTRATION

adallak

Photonics West! I would like to go to that one but there is just too much happening right now. Enjoy.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When you're ready to do the job, drain the radiator and then remove the knock sensors on the sides of the block. There will be one on each side. That will drain the rest of the coolant from the block. The knock sensors are about 1-1/2" in diameter and have an electrical connector on them. You won't be able to get much coolant out just by draining the radiator.

You can then replace the knock sensors and fill the system with fresh coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water and not have to wonder if it has adequate freeze protection.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When you're ready to do the job, drain the radiator and then remove the knock sensors on the sides of the block. There will be one on each side. That will drain the rest of the coolant from the block. The knock sensors are about 1-1/2" in diameter and have an electrical connector on them. You won't be able to get much coolant out just by draining the radiator.

You can then replace the knock sensors and fill the system with fresh coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water and not have to wonder if it has adequate freeze protection.

Thanks KHE,

I know the complete coolant draining routine on an LT1 - not a winter time job. By the way, several members on Impala ss forum reported broken off knock sensors when they tried to drain the engine block. Just be careful when you remove them. Replaced the o-ring on a cooler line. Seems to be fine.

As for the concentration of the antifreeze I was so worried about... some embarrassing details! :) Drained a gallon via the radiator petcock. Measured the concentration... 60/40 instead of 40/60 I was sure it was! Took some coolant from the coolant reservoir - 30/70... As I told the reservoir is defective and two sections do not correspondent correctly...So only that small volume of coolant in a part of reservoir had a wrong concentration for some reason. That's where I saw ice a few days ago.

Whatever, everything seems to be fine at the moment except what sounds like muffled backfire I never heard before. My Fleetwood wants to keep me busy! :) I'll publish a video clip of the sound (backfire) later.

San Francisco was wonderful. About 70F. I was wearing only a shirt day or night. The trade show was good, the Californian were women even better. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 2 weeks later...

got in car yesterday and set DIC to read coolant temp. it said -4F. it is going to warm up the next few days. might hit 35F this weekend.

got in car yesterday and set DIC to read coolant temp. it said -4F. it is going to warm up the next few days. might hit 35F this weekend.

I'm just a little west of you and they are saying upper 30s this weekend. Sure hope they're right.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Archived