CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS Head Gasket Failure AGAIN after 18 months

Captain Rob

How was the diagnosis performed? Cylinder pressure test? Combustion byproduct test?

Earlier, you reported a coolant smell which is an external leak. Have you fixed the leak?

I'm not convinced that the headgaskets are shot yet but to answer your question, IF the headgaskets are shot, the car is worth $1500.00 as is.

The second repair will need to use Bigserts and the original Timeserts will need to be drilled out.

The repair or sell decision would depend on the condition and mileage of the car. Would you be better off putting the $2250.00 towards an '03 or '04 STS? Those are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself.

Is that true Kevin, all serts must come out now or just the ones that failed?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

How was the diagnosis performed? Cylinder pressure test? Combustion byproduct test?

Earlier, you reported a coolant smell which is an external leak. Have you fixed the leak?

I'm not convinced that the headgaskets are shot yet but to answer your question, IF the headgaskets are shot, the car is worth $1500.00 as is.

The second repair will need to use Bigserts and the original Timeserts will need to be drilled out.

The repair or sell decision would depend on the condition and mileage of the car. Would you be better off putting the $2250.00 towards an '03 or '04 STS? Those are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself.

Is that true Kevin, all serts must come out now or just the ones that failed?

Only the ones that failed. If they do not make a "crack" sound when breaking the headbolts loose, they have failed. Also, if they come out in pieces with the headbolts, they have failed also.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

OK good, then only the timeserts that have failed need replacing with big serts.. if you decide to have this job done, inform your mechanic.

When my head gasket went bad, I knew what cylinders it was from the misfires on my computer, did the mechanic do that?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

no, they did a visual observation and a pressure test. When the car over heated you could smell the antifreeze and see a steam vapor come from around the power steering pump area.

i was thinking about going through these guys, these guys use the same process as www.northstarperformance.com

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/2123348582.html

But now leaning toward a newer CTS.

Thinking of just selling the Caddy for about 2K.

That doesn't sound like a head gasket to me. With a HG leak, ou don't have significant coolant outside the engine except through the overflow hose. It sounds more like a cracked radiator tank on the right side, possibly some other leaks like a pinhole on the upper radiator hose, and possibly some clogged areas like the bypass, heater hose, or heater core.

That isn't to say that you don't have a HG issue. But, the other things should be fixed first. There are two definitive tests for a HG leak. The first and best is testing the coolant for combustion by-products, which you can do yourself with test strips or solution from a NAPA auto parts store or others. The second is to see if you can smell coolant in the tailpipes; the best way is to park the car after it has overheated and walk around the car and kneel down, or start the car for a few seconds first thing in the morning, shut it down, then walk around and smell.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I was thinking the same. when I hear "smelling coolant", and read coolant around the water pump, I would first check if it's leakking around the intake manifold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the head gaskets are below the level of the power steering pump.

I was thinking the same. when I hear "smelling coolant", and read coolant around the water pump, I would first check if it's leakking around the intake manifold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the head gaskets are below the level of the power steering pump.

Its possible that the antifreeze smell is coming from the tailpipe if there are no external leaks. The wind moves that stench around very well. Sometimes theres antifreeze pushed into the intake which could cause your smell also. As for the timeserts. i did 2 cars back to back that were timserted and failed. 1 never made it a mile. I rediid all 20 holes on both cars. Its just not worth taking a chance and fixing some of the holes especially if some failed. Some mechanics are not familier with this repair so as others have suggested, i would ask the guy what he did. I have repaired 48 cars to date and 49 and 50 are in the shop now.

I would think that if I were in an auto shop and I didn't have good luck with a particular type of repair I wouldn't do that repair, but would find someone else to do it. My mechanic didn't want to do a Timesert job in 2006 and I didn't have the time, place, or equipment, so I got a reman, effectively having the manufacturer do the Timesert job.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 months later...

Sold the Cadillac basically for scrap, put thousands and thousands in it and it just was not worth it.

Bought a Benz.... See ya guys, hope some of my past threads help.

Real sorry to hear that... :(

Any details you would like to tell us?

What finally happened?

Good luck with the Benz.. :)

Posted Image

guy on craigslist has 97 northstar "crate" motor for sale. 1200. says buy it and keep your old car running for years more. wonder if it is a rebuilt motor?

Well I really got sick of the head gasket issues but i drove the car anyway on short trips. I ended up sliding into a fence during a wonderful Michigan snow storm and smashed the fender, bumper and passenger side light. Needless to say I sold the car for 900 bucks. It was a steel given the condition of the car. The head gasket stressed me out like you would not believe.

Don't get me wrong, my dad was a GM guy for 40 years, I had about 30 GM cars and 7 of those Caddys. Now 2 out of those 7 had the head gasket issue.

Well now that my Dad passed away last year, I don't have to worry about pulling up in a non GM car, I was a very respectful son and I worked for a GM supplier for 13 years, now that I own my own business not supporting any automotive business, it was time in my life to try something new. So on Ebay I won a 99 MB CLK 320 with only 68K for 7200. OMG, I drove it from Miami to Michigan and fell in love.

My heritage is German and can appreciate the engineering, comparing the cars since the were both 99s is real close but engineered totally different.

I will always have great respect for these forum boards and the guidance you showed me. Love you guys, it was time for a change, maybe I'm wrong, but as my dad said I have to figure that out on my own terms. God bless you guys and your Caddys, I will always hold a special place in my heart for these cars.

post-6756-130180470038_thumb.jpg

that is a very nice choice. I have always love mercades benz. I was a large fan of the 70s diesel models. We has a 95 S320. It rode like new. I have to be honest I love Cadillacs though. I love the attention to detail, the quality, and the reliability. I dont much care for te newer cadillacs because it seems like they just got cheaper after 98. Dont hate me for saying this lol. I have a soft spot for cadillacs from the 60s through the 90s. If I could I would own more than the 2 I have now.

I can fully understand why you would choose a different vehicle after stressing with an ongoing problem.

I have had 1 96 eldorado, 97 sls, 97 Deville, my best friend had a 96 deville, 97 deville, and a 99 deville, all ended up with blown headgaskets, mileages ranged from 80000 to 140000 miles.

I have been blessed with my 96 Deville and refuse to ever sell it till the wheels fall off.

I feel terrible when I walk through my local pull it yard and see 7 presidentials, eldorados, sevilles all that look like new. No joke. That worries me. It seems so many people run the other way when they hear of the problem.

SO I say God bless, good luck, post some more pics, and dont be a stranger just beccause you no longer own a caddy.

I still visit the W-body forum from when I had my olds and dont have it anymore

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

that is a very nice choice. I have always love mercades benz. I was a large fan of the 70s diesel models. We has a 95 S320. It rode like new. I have to be honest I love Cadillacs though. I love the attention to detail, the quality, and the reliability. I dont much care for te newer cadillacs because it seems like they just got cheaper after 98. Dont hate me for saying this lol. I have a soft spot for cadillacs from the 60s through the 90s. If I could I would own more than the 2 I have now.

I can fully understand why you would choose a different vehicle after stressing with an ongoing problem.

I have had 1 96 eldorado, 97 sls, 97 Deville, my best friend had a 96 deville, 97 deville, and a 99 deville, all ended up with blown headgaskets, mileages ranged from 80000 to 140000 miles.

I have been blessed with my 96 Deville and refuse to ever sell it till the wheels fall off.

I feel terrible when I walk through my local pull it yard and see 7 presidentials, eldorados, sevilles all that look like new. No joke. That worries me. It seems so many people run the other way when they hear of the problem.

SO I say God bless, good luck, post some more pics, and dont be a stranger just beccause you no longer own a caddy.

I still visit the W-body forum from when I had my olds and dont have it anymore

Thanks so much for your understanding, and I will not be a stranger, I love, love, loved my Caddys. My Dad was so proud when a brought a new one home. During the Holidays the driveway would be full of Cadillacs between my Dad, brother and I. I used to lease, now I buy cash, cant afford the latest and greatest models, but now I have the pride of ownership and no bank lean.

92 Seville (best car i ever had)

93 Eldo

94 Eldo

95 Eldo

97 Seville

98 Eldo

99 Seville RSP

I will be back so don't forget me. I will always be a fan and supporter, just trying something new.

Well I really got sick of the head gasket issues but i drove the car anyway on short trips. I ended up sliding into a fence during a wonderful Michigan snow storm and smashed the fender, bumper and passenger side light. Needless to say I sold the car for 900 bucks. It was a steel given the condition of the car. The head gasket stressed me out like you would not believe.

Don't get me wrong, my dad was a GM guy for 40 years, I had about 30 GM cars and 7 of those Caddys. Now 2 out of those 7 had the head gasket issue.

Well now that my Dad passed away last year, I don't have to worry about pulling up in a non GM car, I was a very respectful son and I worked for a GM supplier for 13 years, now that I own my own business not supporting any automotive business, it was time in my life to try something new. So on Ebay I won a 99 MB CLK 320 with only 68K for 7200. OMG, I drove it from Miami to Michigan and fell in love.

My heritage is German and can appreciate the engineering, comparing the cars since the were both 99s is real close but engineered totally different.

I will always have great respect for these forum boards and the guidance you showed me. Love you guys, it was time for a change, maybe I'm wrong, but as my dad said I have to figure that out on my own terms. God bless you guys and your Caddys, I will always hold a special place in my heart for these cars.

Enjoy your new ride and come back to us from time to time. It would be nice to learn from you how's your Benz compared to your Cadillacs. I am sure you learned a lot on this board and that knowledge will help you to deal with MB too. Congratulations!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Congratulations on a very nice automobile.

I am sorry that your last Cadillac didn't work out for you, but I do hope the Benz gives gives you a long and trouble free ride.

Do come back and give reports on the benz...both pro's and con's.

Posted Image

Archived