CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Fleetwood Questions.

IaBoy

My son thinks he wants to buy a 1995 Fleetwood. It has the 5.7 "corvette" engine. What questions should he be asking the owner on this car? Here is a link to the car ad on craigs list. Opinions on a car like this are welcomed!

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/cto/2101670365.html

I would check stored trouble codes (if any). Scroll down this page and you will see a video clip. It will give you an idea how to run codes.

Check this out too:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb-tech.html#diag

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The 1995 Fleetwood came with a 5.7 liter LT-1. It's the factory engine.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

There is not much specific to Fleetwods to look at. Exhaust leaks caused by broken exhaust manifold bolts are common, check that out. Another common problem of LT1 engines is so called Optispark distributor. Very expensive and a headache to replace. The top is not factory, by the way. The 1993-1996 Fleetwoods usually come with factory vinyl tops.

Make sure the battery tray is in good shape. Mine was almost gone because of a leaky battery. Fuel gauge is a common problem as well. Fuel pump harness.

Just test drive as you would do any other car. Ask for maintenance/repair records, etc.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Don't forget the CarFAX.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

My son thinks he wants to buy a 1995 Fleetwood. It has the 5.7 "corvette" engine. What questions should he be asking the owner on this car? Here is a link to the car ad on craigs list. Opinions on a car like this are welcomed!

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/cto/2101670365.html

I have one and know alot about them. In my opinion they are one the more reliable cars of those years, especially for a caddy because it has a chevy motor in it. Its a proven 350 motor that really doesnt have many flaws. Try to find out EVERYTHING thats ever been fixed on it so you know what to expect. If the opti and water pump have never been changed then you know thats coming someday. Window rollers usually go bad. Fuel pump like mentioned but theyre cheap and easy to do. Alot of stuff is really easy to work on with that car. Dont forget its rear wheel drive, I see youre in iowa. You see alot of these cars over 200k miles easy. Trannys go out in the mid to upper 100k's usually. The engine itself lasts a long time though. With that many miles youll have years of reliable travel with it I believe.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Don't forget the CarFAX.

Carfax isn't always correct. I've come across a lot of cars with a clean carfax and the cars have lots of paint work and even frame damage. It's all in what's been reported. Don't totally rely on it, look it over good.

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

True, the CarFAX can be relied upon for information on the title changes and any reported accidents, or major repairs at the dealer and some larger chains. If there is no accident report filed or the VIN number is entered wrong, an accident won't be on a CarFAX. Fender-benders often aren't reported. Frame or unibody damage seems to be hard to come by without a DMV accident report that should show up on a CarFAX, and something like that is a big red flag that there is something fundamentally wrong with the history of a given car.

And, yes, get the car looked at by a reliable mechanic. There are even specific services offered to inspect vehicles for prospective buyers.

Archived