CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

sdm codes on a 98 deville

joebahbah

:welcomesmiley:

B1115 Passenger Deploy. Loop Resistance High

This is an air bag code. Something is unplugged. Be very careful with this one, or have someone that is qualified to work on air bags look at it. It's probably a connector under the dashboard, but the air bags should be disabled before you work on them in any case.

What's up with the seat belts? Do the buckles not lock? This is a big problem because it's illegal to drive - or ride - without seat belts in just about all states anymore. What do you mean by "they retract back and forth?"

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

i have a 98 deville with sdm code b 1115 and both seat belts dont lock, they retract back and forth

the seat belts connect into the female end and lock in but they dont loock in when tension is put on them, they are spongy in other words you can lean foward all the way

he is talking about the retracting mechanism, they wont work when that code is set. I agree, i would say a unplugged plug or broken wire

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

he is talking about the retracting mechanism, they wont work when that code is set.

Are you suggesting that in the event of an SDM failure Cadillac would DELIBERATELY limit the effectiveness of the seat belts??? I find that very hard to believe.

In my vehicle the belts normally operate just as the OP described. The tensioners lock the belts up only under crash conditions.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Couple of things going on...

As to seat belts. One of my favorite features of my seat belts is they dont lock up or ratchet. If you hit the brakes hard enough..everything locks up.

Other vehicles..(some GM included) have ratchets in the seat belt take-ups.

The other issue...the seat buckles have air bag seat belt pre-tensioners. These should snug up the seat belt during a deployment event. I have seen Cadillacs in the shop that have deployed seat belt pre tensioners. These vehicles were in deployment accidents...and rebuilt..except for new seat belt buckles. In these cars...air bag light was on with 'deployed seat belt' codes.

Back to Cadillacs...to get the ratchet to work on these belts (for child seats etc). You have to fully pull the seat belt the way out..then the ratchet will work. And it will click back into the needed position.

he is talking about the retracting mechanism, they wont work when that code is set.

Are you suggesting that in the event of an SDM failure Cadillac would DELIBERATELY limit the effectiveness of the seat belts??? I find that very hard to believe.

In my vehicle the belts normally operate just as the OP described. The tensioners lock the belts up only under crash conditions.

I did not say that I was stating what I believe the member was referring to. And I have seats from a 2003 trailblazer and they are very touchy when you try to lean forward, etc... I hate that, But the Caddys i Have never seen do that, unless as was stated if you extend the belt fully and slowly retract the belt

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived