CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

electric gas gage and climate control problems

Peter R

I have an 1989 deville.

the guy I bought it from hooked up the jumper cables wrong and blew everything!

nothing on the dash worked. I replaced all fuses and relays and got the speedometer and odometer to work again but the fuel gage and climate controls have power but there is a blue C displayed and they dont work. I was told they need to be recalabrated. Is this true? if so how do you do this?

Thanks

Speter

:welcomesmiley:

When someone blows the electrical system and all the modules on a car, we usually call it a parts car unless there is something special about it like a new drive train. Recalibration of the DIM can be done by the dealer; he will need the old one and the VIN to even try. It's expensive, and not every dealer has a Tech II operator with the training and experience to do it, so an appointment with a few days or more of notice to the Service Manager is a good idea.

Rehabilitating a 1989 Deville from a knockout punch like that is going to cost more than the car is worth in parts and dealer-necessary work even if you do everything possible yourself. Unless you are looking for a project or a hobby, maybe you should sell the car to someone who is.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thank you Jims 97

I bought this car for $300.00 from someone who did not know how to fix it.

he said he had put a lot of money into this thing and had receipts to prove it.

new transmission,Radiator,battery,tire's,computor and shocks.

The car has no rust and runs great!!!

so it's to good of shape to junk.

my friend wants it but I have to get it fixed first.

can you give me a ball park figure on how much it will cost to fix?

again thank Jims 97.

Pete

:welcomesmiley:

When someone blows the electrical system and all the modules on a car, we usually call it a parts car unless there is something special about it like a new drive train. Recalibration of the DIM can be done by the dealer; he will need the old one and the VIN to even try. It's expensive, and not every dealer has a Tech II operator with the training and experience to do it, so an appointment with a few days or more of notice to the Service Manager is a good idea.

Rehabilitating a 1989 Deville from a knockout punch like that is going to cost more than the car is worth in parts and dealer-necessary work even if you do everything possible yourself. Unless you are looking for a project or a hobby, maybe you should sell the car to someone who is.

ouch, sometimes a mistake like that causes no damage or lots, but accidents happen, At least it runs.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

There is no way that anyone can estimate what it would cost to get everything back to spec without seeing the car. When things have been blown that can't be looked at yet, even working with the car would take some time, and until you see the light at the end of the tunnel you don't know how far the journey to daylight will be.

Someone that has brought a car or two back from a reverse-jumper-network-blowout needs to share his/her experiences with us here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Again Thanks for all your info.

I took it in this morning to see how much it will be to recalibrate the fuel gage and climate control.

I hope it isnt that much? LOL!

otherwise the car runs and drive's great and the body is in perfect shape no rust or dents.

The guy I bought it from was the original owner and took good care of it until he did this. LOL!

I will keep you posted on what happens and how much it will cost in hope's of helping someone that has the same thing happen to them in the future.

So far I stuck $120.00 into it to replace all the fuses and relay's and only paid $300.00 for the car.

I have been repairing and restoring cars since I was a kid and can fix pretty much everything but when it comes to computors I have no clue. so I spent nothing on labor as of yet.

Again thank you for all your help I am so glad I found this sight.

Pete

There is no way that anyone can estimate what it would cost to get everything back to spec without seeing the car. When things have been blown that can't be looked at yet, even working with the car would take some time, and until you see the light at the end of the tunnel you don't know how far the journey to daylight will be.

Someone that has brought a car or two back from a reverse-jumper-network-blowout needs to share his/her experiences with us here.

If you have a scrap yard you can test modules and replace them

If you need parts get in touch with www.car-parts.com

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived