CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Arnott shocks all the way around...

sprucegoose

Well I bit the blew the dust off my wallet and finally purchased the front struts now too! :P After replacing the rears I could really tell how bad the front struts were. I think the bouncing up there actually got worse due to the dramatic difference in dampening in the rears... Kind of felt like the crack the whip effect! :D I just couldn't take it anymore...

Despite the fact there were no standard Arnott struts (i had to buy the electronic bypass model) they were a lot cheaper than going the OEM route! Arnott had a month back-order on the non-electronic model so I paid the extra money and just removed the harness from them before I installed. I figured that someone can probably use that part and I can maybe recover part of the extra expense. Probably list that in the classifieds once I get a picture of them.

Anyway, very happy with the ride. Maybe a bit stiffer than I thought, but I think they'll loosen up with time as the break in also. It is so nice not to have that bouncing, clunking ride when going down the highway though. My wife mentioned she feels much safer when driving at higher speeds now too (she's a speed-demon you know!) :D

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Good to hear; thanks for reporting. The side bonus of making the Wife feel safer is golden.

Very true Bruce! You just can't put a value on keeping your family safe... I think about that every time I am working on our vehicles. I don't take shortcuts or wait until things break before fixing them if at all possible.

I don't think some people realize how important the shocks/struts are at keeping your vehicle under control. Stretching their life out too long causes wheel hop and body sway that can easily spin you out of control even in somewhat slippery conditions. The tires just don't stay in contact with the road the same as when they are functioning correctly.

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Just a note to anyone who may be interested in the wiring harnesses with the resistors for the electronic struts... I posted an add in the classified section with some pictures of the units. I hope that someone with that Service Ride Control message can use them! ;)

Here is the link...

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=34653&st=0

Archived