CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PCV valve location

sprucegoose

Alright, where is this little bugger hiding? :unsure: I looked all over tonight and cannot find where it is located on my 98 4.6 Northstar. I thought it would probably be hidden somewhere under the intake manifold cover but after removing that found nothing. Any descriptions or pictures would be great! I have had an oil consumption problem so I thought replacing this might possibly help.

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Alright, where is this little bugger hiding? :unsure: I looked all over tonight and cannot find where it is located on my 98 4.6 Northstar. I thought it would probably be hidden somewhere under the intake manifold cover but after removing that found nothing. Any descriptions or pictures would be great! I have had an oil consumption problem so I thought replacing this might possibly help.

98_PCV_Valve.doc

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It's on the rear cam cover for over on the passenger side.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks guys! I'll pop the new one in today. Your expertise and speed comes though again! ;)

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I just changed the one on my 96 deville when I did my engine mounts, it had oily residue around it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Well, she was definitely due for a change... I'll bet it was original part in there! The problem now is that the rubber elbow there was so hard and crispy from being under that hot black hood all these years it just cracked into 3 pieces as i tried to get the PCV valve out! :wipetears Have to pick up another form the dealer on Mon. I just taped it up well with electrical tape for the short term.

I should have taken my time and put a hot wet rag on it for a bit, maybe I could have salvaged it... Lesson learned, I changed the fuel filter next and I took that off and soaked that in hot water before I tried to remove the plastic collar around that which clips to the brake lines back there. When it is 25 deg. in the garage you need to warm up that plastic some before you try and slide things apart or unclip them...

Well, she was definitely due for a change... I'll bet it was original part in there!

What was wrong with it? Did it rattle?

I just changed the one on my 96 deville when I did my engine mounts, it had oily residue around it.

That's no reason to change it.

Yes, it still rattled... but appeared to be pretty gunked up. I have cleaned them in the past, but I figured its as easy to change the part and fairly inexpensive.

mine was clearly original, still rattled but has nearly 200,000 miles on it, cheap, easy , why not.

The elbows very commonly break, even if it doesnt break in the removal process it usually does shortly after the new one is installed

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If it rattles, it works. To clean them, just hold your thumb on the bottom, spray it full of Gumout and then plug the top with your finger. Now shake it like mixing a Martini. Good for another 100K. That said, replacement IS cheap and easy, I'll give you that.

Yes, it still rattled... but appeared to be pretty gunked up. I have cleaned them in the past, but I figured its as easy to change the part and fairly inexpensive.

Inexpensive to replace a PCV valve until you factor in the cost of replacing the plumbing and and the trip to the dealer parts counter and your labor/time and....

The preventive parts replacement philosophy that worked well for passenger vehicle engines prior to the 1990's does not carry over to modern engine control systems.

FWIW, my '98 PCV valve has never been touched. Likewise the fuel filter. Plus a long list of other items that fall in the "replace just in case" category. I trust the OBD system and my spreadsheet record to provide a warning of incipient "issues".

An original owner at 200,000 miles and counting. If it ain't broke....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I changed my PCV last winter. I didn't have a choice. It was so polluted all the shaking in the world wouldn't make it rattle, and it actually kept blowing out of the valve cover. It was under 2$ for the part, and I got lucky and didn't break any plumbing in the process.

But agreeing with Jim, if it ain't broke....

big4870885.jpg

Archived