CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey I'm new to this forum, got my Caddy in May 09 with about 123k on it, I just hit 150k last week! Onto my problem:

I'm going to try and keep it short as possible. Past few months I've had an issue where randomly I would need to turn the key about 2-3 times before the car fired up, only dash lights would come on and I could hear the fuel pump turn on. Now over the past month its become 5-10 times of turning the key, most recently today I tried at least 10 times.

Through the DIC the battery volts read 12.0 w/ power on and 13.9-14.2 when running.

My fuel pump level sensor went out earlier this year so I've been using my gals used in the DIC to know when I need gas. My tank fills up at only about 14 gals.

Not sure if it my starter is to blame, today when it wouldn't start I finally got out and popped the hood and hit what I believe is the starter with my hand a few times, passenger side top of firewall?, and got back in turned the key and it fired right up like nothing was wrong, only thing I noticed is that I had got gas last night before heading home and my Gals Used reset and my MPG avg reset aswell, the gal used didn't start working again til after about 10min of driving.

I'm at a loss if this is battery, starter, ignition switch possibly or some how fuel pump related. I need this taken care of ASAP.

Just to clarify terminology.

Does the starter motor spin the engine every time you turn the key to START?

There is no way you could smack on the starter without removing the intake manifold.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

For what it's worth, next time it doesn't start try pushing forward on the gear selector while holding the "dead ignition" in the start position. The car may think it is not in park and will not start as a result. My 94 has a problem like this that is very intermittent and that's all I have to do to get it started. I should probably try and fix it, but honestly I kind of enjoy the fact that only I know how to start MY car lol.

This sounds like an intermittant problem, try cleaning your battery cables, especially the positive cable, take it apart and clean it will, two wires are sandwidged together on the positive terminal, and make sure they are tight when the bolt is tight and that the bolt is not bottoming out before the connection is tight

The 12volts means nothing, as soon as you turn the key, you lose power to the strong draw, the starter when the cables are corroded

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived