CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Outside temp reads OC

BSullivan

2002 Escalade, 3-4 months ago, during 90 degree weather, outside air temp began reading lower and lower. By about day 4 it read -45 degrees then OC. After checking the net, I decided to change the outside temp sensor located behind the grill. Changed it a couple of days ago with a sensor from local Caddy dealer and temp still reads OC. Is there anything else before the dealership mechanic is in my pocket?

I *think* that "0C" means zero counts, meaning that the system is not getting a reading from the sensor. If the sensor is shorted to ground you get "0C." If it's open your display will read "255 C." If this is correct, I would expect to find the sensor wiring harness possibly pinched to ground somewhere.

Also, if this is correct, I'd expect the display to read "255 C" if you disconnect the sensor and the harness is NOT shorted to ground.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I *think* that "0C" means zero counts, meaning that the system is not getting a reading from the sensor. If the sensor is shorted to ground you get "0C." If it's open your display will read "255 C." If this is correct, I would expect to find the sensor wiring harness possibly pinched to ground somewhere.

Also, if this is correct, I'd expect the display to read "255 C" if you disconnect the sensor and the harness is NOT shorted to ground.

Regards,

Warren

Thanks, will try when my wife brings it home from work.

on my 96 when I bought it it showed 2 dashes in the place of the temp reading, I foundthat it was corrosion on one of the pins in the plug for the temp sensor. Dont know if this might help or not

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived