CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

battery drain

treeman

my 2002.5 cadillac seville sts has a bad drain on battery when the door is opened

and interior lights are on. volts drop from 12.5 to 11.8 with engine off. if I

turn off interior lights at switch and turn them on with door closed there is

no drop in volts. battery was dead if sitting for a week with out use. since I

turn off lights with switch no problem. I can hear the switch that turns off

interior lights behind back seat thanks for any help.

elko mike

I would check the battery cables, but the battery itself is likely the culprit here.:(

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I would check the battery cables, but the battery itself is likely the culprit here.:(

I have bought a new battery. the one in the car was the original. the voltage drop

is not as bad. it could be something else such as the nav. that makes the voltage

drop when door is opened. it makes weird sounds, and I can here radio on only

left dash speaker. this is with no key in ignition. car will not be driven much

with snow season about here. I will disconnect neg. cable if needed.

elko mike

The owner's manual on my 1997 Eldorado says to disconnect the battery if you plan to leave the car for more than two weeks without starting it up. There should be something in your owner's manual about "Storage Mode."

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

. . . and I can here radio on only

left dash speaker. this is with no key in ignition.

elko mike

The RAP (Retained Accessory Power) system should turn off your accessories within 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off. It should power down your accessories immediately if you open a door. Is this an aftermarket radio?

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

. . . and I can here radio on only

left dash speaker. this is with no key in ignition.

elko mike

The RAP (Retained Accessory Power) system should turn off your accessories within 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off. It should power down your accessories immediately if you open a door. Is this an aftermarket radio?

the radio is part of the optional navagation with 6disc cd changer. when you open door nav. makes

weird sounds,and sounds like ghost whispering on left dash speaker. if you open and close door

again it goes off. I am watching for battery drain in case something stays on again.

elko mike

the radio is part of the optional navagation with 6disc cd changer. when you open door nav. makes

weird sounds,and sounds like ghost whispering on left dash speaker. if you open and close door

again it goes off. I am watching for battery drain in case something stays on again.

elko mike

If I leave my DTS parked for over a week and forget to turn off my radar detector, it will kill the battery.

I did that the other day.

Had to call OnStar and get it jumped off. :(

My car also has NAV.

It too makes noise when you open the door, but the noise is just the NAV booting up and the disk spinning.

The noise from the NAV is nothing to worry about.

Now...The radio sound from the speaker... I don't think it should do THAT.

I have never heard of one doing that.

Posted Image

Archived