CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Remote Keyless Entry

Rich

Actually it was just caked on dust, most likely due to the fact that there is a hole around the replaced button...which allows crap to get in there. It cleaned up pretty well, but I can't get the other button to stay in it. I have another remote somewhere from my old car, and I think the buttons from that would match up. Now if I could just find the darned thing.

At any rate, I'm putting it back together now, then going out to see if it works. It may need a new battery...who knows. I bought this one for it a year ago, so maybe it's alright...considering I haven't ever been able to use it.

big4870885.jpg

The aluminum foil trick works very nicely; I've done it hundreds of times. However, I would suggest using the paper backed foil from a cigarette pack as opposed to household foil. It will abrade the printed circuit board far less and consequently the repair will last far longer. If you attach it with the smallest drop of Crazy Glue it will be ready for instant use. No drying time.

CAUTION: It's fine to clean the printed circuit board with alcohol, but DO NOT use it on the rubber membrane keypad; it will remove the conductive coating causing exactly the problem you are trying to correct. Simply run it under warm water and pat dry with a paper towel. Better yet, let it air dry.

Here's a product designed specifically with you in mind:

http://www.mcmelectr...CK44-G-/200-315

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I just wanted to report the result of the herein described fix. I used the foil backed paper from a cigarette pack rather than aluminum foil as suggested above. The fob now operates like new. Let me say that again. The fob operates like new. Thanks to all for your tips and advice.

I just wanted to report the result of the herein described fix. I used the foil backed paper from a cigarette pack rather than aluminum foil as suggested above. The fob now operates like new. Let me say that again. The fob operates like new. Thanks to all for your tips and advice.

Thanks for closing the loop; your feedback is likely to provide some future reader with the confidence to tackle the same repair.

Happy motoring.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Too bad this couldnt help my range problem, my remotes work great if you are nearly touching the car, darn it I really want to find a solution for this also

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Here's a YouTube Video (2:31) of an interesting product designed to fix keypad membranes.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Too bad this couldnt help my range problem, my remotes work great if you are nearly touching the car, darn it I really want to find a solution for this also

There's a pretty good chance you have an open printed circuit foil land somewhere in your fob. Most common is for the "antenna" to break, usually due to some contaminate eating through the foil.

The "antenna" is usually a foil trace on the printed circuit board that "goes nowhere." It might be a spiral trace or one that circumnavigates the perimeter of the PCB etc. Just look real close.

If you find a break and can't repair it with solder, go to Radio Shack and get a conductive ink pen and simply "write" over the break in the foil.

Good luck.

Posted Image

There's a pretty good chance you have an open printed circuit foil land somewhere in your fob. Most common is for the "antenna" to break, usually due to some contaminate eating through the foil.

The "antenna" is usually a foil trace on the printed circuit board that "goes nowhere." It might be a spiral trace or one that circumnavigates the perimeter of the PCB etc. Just look real close.

If you find a break and can't repair it with solder, go to Radio Shack and get a conductive ink pen and simply "write" over the break in the foil.

Good luck.

I will try that.. Both my 96 Devilles have poor range but my 97 seville has hreat range, and all are the same remotes.

I will absolutely post my results

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

well after disassembling the remotes I have found nothing obvious to be an antenna, all I have found is a white box down at the bottom left of the board.

GM FAN FOREVER

Ok so tonight I tried the cigarette foil trick inside the remote and I am happy to say it works like new again but did not help my range at all. I honestly think it is a problem with the car not the remote

GM FAN FOREVER

Ok so tonight I tried the cigarette foil trick inside the remote and I am happy to say it works like new again but did not help my range at all. I honestly think it is a problem with the car not the remote

There was a post here a few years back about a "fix" for the receiver antenna in the car. Maybe you can find that.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I think that may have been for the older style with the rectangular remotes, but if anyone has any insight on this for the 96-97 I would very much appreciate it.

If I remember right the antenna on the 96-97 is located around the license plate on the trunk lid??

GM FAN FOREVER

RF at the frequencies used by Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) systems is strictly line of sight. The line of sight path between the transmitter (key fob) and receiver (RKE module in the trunk) is shielded or shadowed by the metal body of the vehicle.

I had success modifying the RKE module receive antenna on my '98 Seville but I have no experience with module design and location on earlier models. Sevilles from 1998 and later are a whole new ballgame.

Typically range can be improved with a fresh battery in the key fob. Or, making certain that nothing has been added to the trunk space that further shields the RKE module. Or, doing a minor modification to the RKE module antenna to port more RF into the RKE module receiver.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

RF at the frequencies used by Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) systems is strictly line of sight. The line of sight path between the transmitter (key fob) and receiver (RKE module in the trunk) is shielded or shadowed by the metal body of the vehicle.

I had success modifying the RKE module receive antenna on my '98 Seville but I have no experience with module design and location on earlier models. Sevilles from 1998 and later are a whole new ballgame.

Typically range can be improved with a fresh battery in the key fob. Or, making certain that nothing has been added to the trunk space that further shields the RKE module. Or, doing a minor modification to the RKE module antenna to port more RF into the RKE module receiver.

Ok so there is notthing in the trunk, I have tried many new batteries. Any ideas on how I might modify the antenna. How did you do it on your 98, possibly different but good to hear

GM FAN FOREVER

Ok so there is notthing in the trunk, I have tried many new batteries. Any ideas on how I might modify the antenna. How did you do it on your 98, possibly different but good to hear

My RKE module is 2" X 2 3/4" mounted on the same bracket as the trunk lamp.

Remove the module cover and you will see a PCB that looks something like this. At the botoom RH corner see the round solder pad which is the termination point of the receive antenna. I soldered a length of hook up wire to that pad.

th_DSC01334.jpg

Install the cover and install the module in the car. Feed the end of the hook up wire through the parcel ledge to the inside of the rear glass. Use hook up wire with an insulation color that blends with your interior color.

th_DSC01335.jpg

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

cool. thats what I wanted to see. You say it was in the trunk on the rear deck, anyone know the exact location of the RKE module on the Deville?

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

ok well today I was at my local salvage yard ,and could not locate the unit in the picture. I looked at 2 97s and a 96. All I found on both 97s was this funny looking black module that has 3 pin plug and bolts up through the deck lid with 2 10mm bolts, Any idea what this module might be.

I really would like to try to enhance my signal but have had no luck

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived