CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

07 DTS pinging?

1irondragon

Just a quick question to you all. My 07 DTS will slightly ping on hard acceleration even with 91 octane fuel in it. I would describe it as a TRACE ping, not a hard ping. I'm assuming this is normal but just wanted to check in and see.

Thank's all

This may not be a ping, but it could be an exhaust leak. It has a knock sensor and pinging should not occur. I would have them look at the exhaust to make sure there is no leak, keep in mind that under hard acceleration the powertrain can move slightly contributing to an exhaust leak.

Just a thought, but I find it hard to believe that this is caused by the engine

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You should also check the OBD codes. If the knock sensor isn't doing well you will have a code -- and probably the "Service Engine Soon" light. Check my signature block for a link to instructions on how to do this.

NOTE: Some later models no longer have this capability and you need an external code reader.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Just a quick question to you all. My 07 DTS will slightly ping on hard acceleration even with 91 octane fuel in it. I would describe it as a TRACE ping, not a hard ping. I'm assuming this is normal but just wanted to check in and see.

Thank's all

If you don't have a code reader...go by Autozone or someplace like that to get the codes read.

Post the codes here and we will try to help figure it out.

It would be unusual for it to be pinging.

The knock sensors work really well to prevent that.

Like BBF said...it may be a small exhaust leak.

Posted Image

Thank's guys, it's not an exhaust leak and no engine lights at all. It can ONLY be heard with radio off foot through the radiator. I do have a Snap -on 2500 scanner that I will hook up and check but really doubt there will be anything there. It is very slight and does it more if I run it on regular obviuosly. I've only run regular once in it and always have run 91 since. I don't know if in your states you guys have ethenol but we do in the peoples republic of Kalifornia, I wonder if that could be it also. Don't get me wrong though you would have to be listening for it to hear it. Car runs great and averages 23 to 24mpg on the commute. I will hook into her and see if anything is there and update you all. Thank's guys

Well maybe you have a point then if regular makes it worse.

Maybe you are getting higher than 10% ethanol, are you using Tier 1 fuel? Have you tried changing fuels and see if that improves the situation

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Alcohol actually raises the octane rating of gasoline. The problem with gas mileage is that it also reduces the energy of combustion, so unless the whole drive train is targeted for the alcohol mix (0%, 10% to 15%, 85%, or 100%) you lose fuel economy and power.

One other possibility is that you have carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. I'm assuming that you have the right spark plugs, AC/Delco Part # 41987. If that is the cause of the ping, a WOT session or two, or a 150-mile road trip will solve it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thank's guys, it's not an exhaust leak and no engine lights at all. It can ONLY be heard with radio off foot through the radiator. I do have a Snap -on 2500 scanner that I will hook up and check but really doubt there will be anything there. It is very slight and does it more if I run it on regular obviuosly. I've only run regular once in it and always have run 91 since. I don't know if in your states you guys have ethenol but we do in the peoples republic of Kalifornia, I wonder if that could be it also. Don't get me wrong though you would have to be listening for it to hear it. Car runs great and averages 23 to 24mpg on the commute. I will hook into her and see if anything is there and update you all. Thank's guys

I will throw my 2 or 3 cents in here.. :)

Mine does not ping...or if it does I can't hear it... :) :)

The only fuel we have around here is 10% Ethanol.

If you are sure it is a light ping...the first thing I would do is change gas stations.

Make sure it is a "TOP TIER" station.

Let it get pretty low on fuel then fill up and see if the ping goes away.

If it does...great.

You are done...:)

You said earlier...that you may sometimes "PUT YOUR FOOT THRU THE RADIATOR." :)

That can sometimes be good for a NorthStar.

If the ping doesn't go away...which I suspect it won't...the next step I would take, is to take me a nice weekend trip "WAY OUT OF TOWN"

Away from traffic and cops where I could run the car fairly hard.

Find a place where you can "SAFELY" go from about 50 to about 80.

At 45 or 50mph...place the gear selector in "2"..then "STAND ON IT" till about 80...then let off the gas and let the engine slow the car back to about 50.

Repeat 3 or 4 times while watching in the mirror for "STUFF" coming from the exhaust pipes.

If you see anything...it is carbon being blown out of the exhaust.

This will also exercise the rings to help keep them from sticking and causing it to start using oil.

The NorthStar was originally designed as a High Performance engine and needs to be "RUN" a little bit, every once in a while.

Plus it is "FUN" and you may be pleasantly surprised at how much better it runs after it gets some exercise. :)

Posted Image

Well I checked for codes and there is none for both the engine or transmission. I drive 65 miles one way to work daily usually at 75 mph and in that getting on the freeway I usually feel the push in the back side. Just last week I went from about 30 to 110mph for a stretch. This brings up another question probably for Texas Jim, at 110 is there a speed limiter or is it just hitting overdrive at that point?( I know your's is the performance model and all programing is different then mine). I've put approximatley 10K on the car since I bought it. I believe our Ethanol content is 10%. I usually fill up at Costco, not sure what tier they are. Maybe I will try Chevron next just to see. It's an '07 with 73K on her now so I don't think it's had a huge amount of town driving. Just an update guys thank's for all the help thus far.

While I know that Costco's gas prices are good, I would definately try a Top Tier fuel, Mike

See this thread there is some question about the quality of their fuel

http://forums.nasioc...p/t-434488.html

Notice post #3 here

It works all right for most cars. However, my B5 S4 w/ MTM chip did not like the Costco premium gas at all - lots of pinging under load. However, when the car was unchipped, the Costco premium worked fine

http://forums.audiwo...d.php?t=2606847

Well I checked for codes and there is none for both the engine or transmission. I drive 65 miles one way to work daily usually at 75 mph and in that getting on the freeway I usually feel the push in the back side. Just last week I went from about 30 to 110mph for a stretch. This brings up another question probably for Texas Jim, at 110 is there a speed limiter or is it just hitting overdrive at that point?( I know your's is the performance model and all programing is different then mine). I've put approximatley 10K on the car since I bought it. I believe our Ethanol content is 10%. I usually fill up at Costco, not sure what tier they are. Maybe I will try Chevron next just to see. It's an '07 with 73K on her now so I don't think it's had a huge amount of town driving. Just an update guys thank's for all the help thus far.

It sounds to me, that you "MAY" have some bad fuel.

I think it is wise of you to try a different station.

That may be the only issue you have.

You may not need to do any of the stuff I mentioned earlier.

130 miles a day...at 75 or so...with getting on it a little bit entering the freeway, should keep it running fine.

The speed limiter on non performance models is usually at 112.

It can vary by one or two MPH.

For all practical purposes...There is no limiter on mine... :) :)..:yupi3ti:

The limiter on mine was originally set at 123 mph from the factory.

I changed it and set it to 190...and obviously, since the DTS will not do 190, effectively, it has no limiter on it.

I do know that it will do 144 and it still had more left..but I was catching up to some cars...QUICKLY...and had to back off.

I don't want to endanger myself or anyone else.

That "PUSH" on the backside you mention...

I sure do like that feeling, along with hearing the NorthStar winding up. :)

Posted Image

Okay guys thank you. My next fill up will be at Chevron and I will see what she does. I know I had a street bike once that would ping on most gas except Chevron. I should have thought of that. thank you Texas Jim, now I know the parachute at 110mph is normal just like I thought. I know my Mark VIII Lincoln I had would hit it at 125mph. I've had my wifes Acura TL at 145mph once and yes you catch traffic quick. I do love the rumble of the V-8 nothing else like it! The newer V-6's are approching the V-8's in alot of cases BUT you sure don't get the tourque feeling! Thank's again guy's I will update you all after I run Chevron in her.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all, I had to make an unexpected trip out of town for a little over a week. Anyway it appears that my Caddy is particlular about the fuel used in her. I had several tanks of gas on my trip that would not ping at all. Then others that were slight. It does seem that the Costco where I normally fill up definatley has a cheaper quality gas. Definatley more power on the better none preigniting fuel as expected. Anyway thank you to all.

Sorry all, I had to make an unexpected trip out of town for a little over a week. Anyway it appears that my Caddy is particlular about the fuel used in her. I had several tanks of gas on my trip that would not ping at all. Then others that were slight. It does seem that the Costco where I normally fill up definatley has a cheaper quality gas. Definatley more power on the better none preigniting fuel as expected. Anyway thank you to all.

It makes sense to switch gas stations from time to time. It took me two years to figure out the nearby Shell station in PA was selling 87 as 89... Crooks.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Good to hear that you found your problem. :)

My '06 is sometimes kinda picky about what fuel it uses also.

Thank you for reporting back with your findings.

Posted Image

That is great glad to hear it. You should contact Costco and tell them, maybe they are getting taken for a ride by their distributor, and as Jim said, they are selling them 87 as 89 or something

Archived