CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Deville overheating

First off I would like to say I am new to this site and look forward to learning more about Caddies.

I was reading another thread where a member was having many of the same problems with their Deville that I am, but I didn't want to hijack their thread so I started my own.

When I got this car it was low on coolant so I added some and drove the car 125 miles home. The car drove A1. When I got off the freeway and started stop and go driving it began to over heat. Since then I have driven the car very little, but I have started it up and let it sit in the drive way a few times and only once did it say "check coolant" and "shut engine off".

I have to add coolant often.

I unplugged the fans and used a test light to see if they were both getting (switched) power and only the fan on the left was. Not sure if that makes a difference.

No white smoke.

No bubbles in the coolant tank.

I don't have much in this car. It looks and drives well (126K miles Y motor) and I would like to keep it if the head is not bad. Thanks for all help.

Check the purge line - disconnect the hose near the top of the surge tank and have someone start the engine. Coolant should pee out the hose. If not, then there is an obstruction in the hose - most likely near the water pump area - trace the line back to the throttle body and then to the water pump area. Where the hose connects to the pump cover there is a nipple that is a hollow bolt, remove and clean it out.

If the line flows coolant, then check the waterpump belt tensioner to bake sure it is free and properly tensioning the belt.

Next, check the coolant for combustion gasses with a tester - tons of material in the archives on that.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

Check the purge line - disconnect the hose near the top of the surge tank and have someone start the engine. Coolant should pee out the hose.

That checked fine.

If the line flows coolant, then check the waterpump belt tensioner to bake sure it is free and properly tensioning the belt.

Checked and looked good.

Next, check the coolant for combustion gasses with a tester - tons of material in the archives on that.

I will try to find info on this.

• 4 months later...

Archived