CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT: Seeking Opinions/Comments

Marika

I've wondered why Honda/Ricer and Cadillac owners don't seem to like each other.

Anyone want to share their own thoughts on this subject?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I believe the two are polarized about as far apart as they can be. The Japanese burner is cheap, small, foreign, CUTE, relatively fuel efficient compared to large, relatively unsafe in a collision, and slow and the Cadillac is expensive, large, american, MEAN, relatively fuel inefficient compared to small, safe and fast.

In many ways the introduction of the Japanese burner caused the american gas-guzzlers to improve and to become lighter, more agile and more fuel efficient, they just can't avoid waking up the sleeping giant! ;)

However Japanese builders are followers they copy well but they don't innovate well at all. As an example, in about 1991/92 the CEO of Sony made a statement that, America has taught the world all it knows.... Oh Yea?

A typical Japanese burner driver is envious of the power and size so he/she tries to make his car sound louder and look faster with aftermarket accessories, but its mostly appearances and he knows it. The dark tints are because they are embarrised! :lol: When he gets money he is looking for a large SUV, but that they owned a Japanese burner is embedded in them forever. When every one in college drove small cars, I drove 66 and 68 Caddy Convertibles, no Japanese for me, mid-night diner runs with 10 friends and the top down in December was no problem! :lol: The one Japanese burner (240SX) that I did buy in 91 (mid-life crisis car) I had three accidents with in two years, never going Japanese again.

Japanese burners try hard to be noticed and to compete, but the Cadillac owner bats them away like a nat, its a never changing story. In the 60's driving his Sedan De Ville Caddy's, my dad used to pull up next to a Japanese burner and ask the owner if it was a Hoover or Eureka! :lol::lol: I sunk down in the seat, but from where I was sitting it was true! (Well you asked for opinions and comments, Marika :lol: )

If Honda & Cad owners dont like each other I must be bi-polar or scitzo or something since I have one of ea. Honda is soon to be given to my son in the Navy. It has been a very dependable car (Civic) and at 30+ MPG its great. If you dont have to be the one driving it.

If Honda & Cad owners dont like each other I must be bi-polar or scitzo or something since I have one of ea. Honda is soon to be given to my son in the Navy. It has been a very dependable car (Civic) and at 30+ MPG its great. If you dont have to be the one driving it.

You see thats exactly what I mean! :lol:

You ended with, "If you dont have to be the one driving it". No you are not bi-polar, the Japanese burner has a place in society just like the BIC pen to a Monte Blanc! :P

Hope you were not offended, while most of what I say comes from the heart, I try to be a comedian at times, :lol:

I myself have tried to get my sons (18 and 24) surrounded by as much metal and space as possible given how common SUVs are these days.

I completely agree with what Scotty said. Just because you have one doesn't make you a ricer. I have a Nissan truck, but I bought it because it was cheap, available, and the most dependable 4x4 I could get for my money. That's why I like quiet mufflers on a Cadillac, by the way. Going fast with class. Ricers like to be loud because they need attention or need to reassure themselves that their car really does sound faster than it is. You don't need all that trash with a Cadillac. You know it's boss and you don't have to tell everyone about it. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I also have a 91 Honda Accord, but it is only used to drive to my office and back. Because I only live 2 miles from work, I don't want to abuse the Cadillac. It is extremly hard on any car to only drive it a couple of miles and then leave it sit all day and do it again. So you could say my "day" driver is a honda, but my "daily" driver is the STS. Each has a purpose.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

I think the "Ricer" thing is just part of being a "Kid". My "Kid" car was Horsepower loud, now they use fart cans and stereos. I was styling with Cragars, jacked up in the rear, green "Sex Lights" in the interior, and a thumpty thumpty cam. Now it's neon, go fast stickers, spoilers... Sit back and enjoy the show. Everybody’s a dreamer and everybody’s a star,

And everybody’s in movies, it doesn’t matter who you are.

There are stars in every city,

In every house and on every street,

And if you walk down hollywood boulevard

Their names are written in concrete!

rek

I think the "Ricer" thing is just part of being a "Kid". My "Kid" car was Horsepower loud, now they use fart cans and stereos. I was styling with Cragars, jacked up in the rear, green "Sex Lights" in the interior, and a thumpty thumpty cam. Now it's neon, go fast stickers, spoilers... Sit back and enjoy the show. Everybody’s a dreamer and everybody’s a star,

And everybody’s in movies, it doesn’t matter who you are.

There are stars in every city,

In every house and on every street,

And if you walk down hollywood boulevard

Their names are written in concrete!

Well said

What I don't understand is the people who will take a stock Civic and dump 30,000 into it just to compete with the larger more powerful American cars. Why don't they just take that extra money and buy a larger more powerful American car in the first place. I never understood it and I probably never will. I guess some people just want to annoy others with their loud music and Folger's exhaust. They'll get their's in the end though when they are beaten by a Caddy. Now thats what I call fun.......hehe ;)

I guess some people just want to annoy others with their loud music and Folger's exhaust.

ROFLMAO!! That's funny. Ironically, I saw one a few days ago that looked really bad. Fiberglass fill all over the place and it had what looked like two large coffee cans for exhaust tips. Was black and white and had the most extraordinary "wing" on it you ever saw, I'm sure one strong gust of wind and the whole car would have flipped over!! :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I think one real problem that exists is that most people can't drive a large car. It really does take extraordinary skill to drive one and especially to park it and I think herein you will find where some of the envy comes from. It's psychologically like comparing riding a fixed gear track bike to a bicycle with training wheels.

I had a 55 Desoto w/glass pack, flames, "bug light", no hubcaps, high lift rear shocks & a chrome exhaust tip. My first car in 1963. I hate to say it but I would probably be considered a ricer now.

We are all enthuiests. Just different strokes.......

OK.. Explain to me the SRT-4 neon then :)

American Japanese? Isn't it a mitsubishi engine?

Yeah, it's not really American anyway. German owned company with a Mitsubishi engine. But there is a difference I think. That car actually MOVES. To me, a "ricer" is someone who has absolutely nothing on the car to make it go faster...just stickers and trash can exhaust tips. I was leafing through one of those "tuner" magazines in the grocery store the other day. None of the buildup articles claimed ANY performance numbers of any sort. All the "mods" were K&N air filters, breather filters, chrome intake tubes, Recaro seats, brand X body kit, 34" wheels, etc.

Ricers care about looks (and noise), racers care about performance. That's just a generalization that I've come up with that I've found to be true most of the time. Sometimes, ricer and racer get blended, and to that, I think you just have to leave it as a difference in taste (turbo 4 vs. N/A 8).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived