CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Florida trip...grrrrrr.....unrealted

Logan

Was suppose to go to Orange Beach in October....

Fricking Ivan eye is heading right over the inlaws condo. Right at Florabama. Hmmm...condo is a mile from there.

Hope its still there.........

No plywood...nothing....they evacuated everyone before anything could be done.

Basically the unit is on a sandbar on the sea side of the inter coastal waterway. Unit was built in '74.

Really strange watching the news and seeing the east side of the storm go there.

Yeah.....might be helping clean up.

Sorry to hear this... my parents have a winter home in Sebastian FL, which got hit pretty hard a few weeks back... they were up here at their summer place in the Poconos, so no risk to life... but down there they lost their carport, their screen room, and a palm tree, which fell between two houses, damaging neither one.

I was evacuated from the Keys five years ago during a vacation... we ended up going to our condo in Vero Beach... but the storm followed us up the coast, hitting us anyway. Fortunately, our place is built really well, so no major damage. But it was weird to be in this huge line of traffic (only one road in and out of the Keys, ya know) and seeing the most ominous clouds and weather patterns in the rear view mirror.

Good luck with everything.

Fricking Ivan eye is heading right over the inlaws condo. Right at Florabama. Hmmm...condo is a mile from there.

Hope all turns out ok. My prayers go out to you and yours.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I just bought my car off E-BAY, picked it up the Friday before Charley hit. It was in Bradenton! It was crazy trying to find gas, let alone go back north to Michigan! Hope you come out OK... my parents got minor damage also, they are in "The Villages".

Wow...gotta love the instant internet access.....

Caught a quick shot of our condo on a Navy helicopter video from CNN. It only shows 1/2 the unit (ours is the other side) ......but she appears to be still standing.

Pool area in the center is totally filled with sand. Water edge is about 200 feet closer.

For those that have been in this area. It appears the 'Floriabama' is totally gone.

post-3-1095406254.jpg

I should add....no one has been allowed back into this area as of yet. Seeing the CNN/Navy video shows that there is a very good chance the whole unit survived.

That being said...it will take awhile to dig out the pool.

That whole area was very close if not in the eye of the storm, a catagory 3 hurricane. Wife and I are from Louisiana and every time we see this happen we say a prayer for the folks there. If your lucky enough to survive the really tough time is the aftermath. Francis left a huge sink hole in I-95, saw on this morning news where Ivan blew out part of the bridge in Pensacola. Hope your family and property are OK.

sebring06RTP.jpg

My mother and her husband were supposed to go to Alabama for his Navy unit yearly get together but that was cancelled. Everything was washed out.

They are heading up to Cape Cod instead.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Have you been able to get back to your property yet? I see on the news that the storm serge weakend the buildings beyond repair, hope yours is OK. It wiped out the bridge that goes across to Santa Rosa Island, thats hard to belive.

sebring06RTP.jpg

What a terrible last few years for weather; the Lord is really allowing our butts to be kicked. Seemed like He has removed His protection from us.

He will never give us anything we can't handle. His will is always done. Even if we don't understand why, have faith that it's all in His plan.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It was a really bad storm. I doubt plywood would have helped.

No...havent made it down there yet. I was in Michigan this weekend.

We actually go to Perdido Bay.. thats basically the Florida side of Orange Beach.

It appears that everyone from Gulf Shores to Panama City got walluped.....major highway brides gone?.....Gezzzz.

I guess Sunday was the first day to allow residents back in....and Bush made his visit to Orange Beach.

May get down there in a week or two with the father in law....and really find out whats left.

Archived