CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEED COMPETITION ALTERNATOR FOR 2000 DEVILLE DHS!

BLKCADDY21inch

I have 2 JL Audio 1000/1 amps and 2 JL Audio W7s and I need a higher output of amps from my alternator. I need an alternator with at least 200 amps or higher (preferably). If anyone knows what to do, where to get one, or any input on this topic please leave a reply. Thanks a lot. ~Steve Falk~

I dont see it on the 2000. But the 2001 service manual shows it....2nd alternator for coach vehicles.

post-3-1095352239.gif

Ok, I just stopped by a local alternator/starter rebuilder in my area. They are very reputible and professional. I asked them if they could take a NS alternator and increase the output to 200 amps. He made one phone call to his supplier and the parts to upgrade the alternator ARE available and it would not be a problem. BUT, he told me that when he increases the output to 200 amps the upgrade inherently changes the output curve, whereas the OEM unit may put out 65 amps at 800 rpm and top out at 145 amps at say 2000 rpm the upgraded unit would put out as an example 30 amps at 800 and would rise much faster and put out 200 amps at 1500 rpm (as an example of the curve changing).

What he said was that he would need the old alternator to 'match' the output curves by changing the pulley on the unit to have it spin faster at 800 RPM. Now I don't know how that helps the high end output problem whereby it reaches full output at 1500 rpm but it helps the low output problem, maybe the regulator takes care of the high output end and kicks out, I don't know. If you are interesting in discussing this you can call John at Montrose Rebuilders, 158 East Main Street, Babylon, NY 11702, 631-587-4200. Tell him Mike referred you, the guy that spoke to him about upgrading the NS alternator to 200 amps. It may be less trouble to go with two alternators. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this (I know that you have a 2000 and this is for 86 through 99, but I thought I would post this information HERE with the 200 AMP alternator post for searching purposes later)

http://www.domesticperformance.com/product...?products_id=61

Heavy Duty 200Amp for the 1986-99 Deville $250.00

Description from site >>> 200 AMP Alternator For the 1986-99 FWD, Cadillac Deville. This is a superior product and will rid you of the premature alternator failures you encounter with the other guys cheap rebuilt option. Obviously this 200Amp option also gives you much more options when it comes to stereo and other related power drains. <<<

i have a comp system as well. i got two capacitors wired in serise. both one farad. a good way to go is at least one farad per 1000 watts power. that will help your headlamps from dimming. and keep your factory alternator alive. you dont need a new altenator unless you want a shiny chrome one. just caps. bout 100 bucks ea. at

ETRONICS.COM

SOUNDDOMAIN.COM

CRUTCHFIELD.COM

• 2 weeks later...

seems no one can agree on a caps effectiveness. back to the alternator though. would putting a smaller pulley on the alt. make it spin faster at idle speed and therefore put out more amps? most alt. pulleys are small to begin with. that might be hard to do. a "power pulley" setup would actually result in lower alt. speeds.

Archived