CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 CTS - Universal Garage Opener

dallman

Everything I read on setting up the Universal Garage Door Opener starts with the directions "hold down buttons 1 and 3 to erase any previous data". I do not want to erase the previous data, I want to add a remote from my workplace but do not want to lose my home garage opener which is programmed under button #1. How do I set the new remote up without erasing the data on my home remote. Thanks!

You can try just depressing and holding the button you desire to program on the car along with the other transmitter and see if it learns the code. If it does, you're done. If not, then you may need to clear out the built in opener and then program all three buttons.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I've tried it and you can store over an old program without erasing the memory first. Mine's for the 1997 model year but the other posts make it sound to me like they are still using the same Homelite unit, or close enough so that they work the same.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I've tried it and you can store over an old program without erasing the memory first. Mine's for the 1997 model year but the other posts make it sound to me like they are still using the same Homelite unit, or close enough so that they work the same.

So if I understand you correctly i follow the instructions and then program button #2 and my button #1 should retain the current information and will still open my home garage door?

So if I understand you correctly i follow the instructions and then program button #2 and my button #1 should retain the current information and will still open my home garage door?

Yes - as long as you DON'T clear the memory by pressing and holding the outer buttons at the same time.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived